Zillion sv TW 1000

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Zillion sv TW 1000

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:04 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:28 pm
HobeyBaker wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:02 pm
Is anyone changing out the retainer on these to a metal one? I'm wondering what fits. The plastic retainer makes it look cheap to me.
I haven't done so yet, but it should work. If not, you can always acquire a different handle.
Definitely lacking some cool factor. That said, it has the it factor when handling the reel.

I said some harsh things about Daiwa lately but this reel seems pretty sweet. Certainly gives them room to customize or go Type-R.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:42 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:28 pm
I haven't done so yet, but it should work. If not, you can always acquire a different handle.
The handle is absolutely the worst part about these reels. I’m waiting on some paddle knobs to arrive to swap out the round ones but here’s my solution thus far.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:47 pm

If i were to get the JDM model, is the brass gear upgrade even worth it? If the aluminum gears are as smooth as everyone is saying, then what's the point of increasing your reel's weight by an additional 0.4oz? Durability might be a reason, but if the steez sv tw gears have held perfectly fine for years, i don't see how these improved gear sets would have any issues.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:00 pm

SSS wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:47 pm
If i were to get the JDM model, is the brass gear upgrade even worth it? If the aluminum gears are as smooth as everyone is saying, then what's the point of increasing your reel's weight by an additional 0.4oz? Durability might be a reason, but if the steez sv tw gears have held perfectly fine for years, i don't see how these improved gear sets would have any issues.
For the most part, it’s not worth it.

But for me, I punch a lot of heavy mats. I find the upgrade could be worth it when you’re doing a lot of dragging 5 pounds of grass in with a 2 pound fish.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:16 pm

SSS wrote:
I've not heard people rave about the Steez TW SV as a particularly smooth and solid feeling reel. I hear that talk from the TD Zillions, Bantam MGL and 19 Morethan but don't not the Steez. I've also heard the phrase "its not Antares smooth" when describing the smoothness of the reel. I've also heard of a guys replacing Steez A gears because they got geary feeling from just throwing chatterbaits. They seem to hold up great but I would want Bantam MGL smooth out of a Zillion and for it to stay that way. Not sure if the Daiwa aluminum gears have that track record.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:20 pm

CFDoc wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:00 pm
SSS wrote:
For the most part, it’s not worth it.

But for me, I punch a lot of heavy mats. I find the upgrade could be worth it when you’re doing a lot of dragging 5 pounds of grass in with a 2 pound fish.
I agree. Burn up the gears first before replacing.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:59 am

LowRange wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:16 pm
SSS wrote:
I've not heard people rave about the Steez TW SV as a particularly smooth and solid feeling reel. I hear that talk from the TD Zillions, Bantam MGL and 19 Morethan but don't not the Steez. I've also heard the phrase "its not Antares smooth" when describing the smoothness of the reel. I've also heard of a guys replacing Steez A gears because they got geary feeling from just throwing chatterbaits. They seem to hold up great but I would want Bantam MGL smooth out of a Zillion and for it to stay that way. Not sure if the Daiwa aluminum gears have that track record.
Your post is the first I've seen anyone complain about the Daiwa Aluminun gears. I was hesitant myself, but the guys that fish plenty of Steez reels have given the Daiwa aluminum gears the stamp of approval.

My experience with two TD-Z Type-R with the black duraluminum is still out of the box smooth nearly 20 years after it was made.

In my picture you will see a brand new just back from Japan Morethan 1000xh 8.6. Had to send it to Japan for $71 set a gears. Those were brass and got destroyed throwing a jerkbait when the reel engaged on a cast. Side by side, I cannot tell the difference in smoothness.

As noted, the handle is 90mm but feels small due to the tiny knobs. I wish it had the same knobs the morethan has with are similar in shape but one size bigger.

I'm currently looking at six sv103 reels and debating selling them to fund 3 more of these new Zillions. I'm interested to put one through the paces of frog fishing. I put the reel on my frog rod and the weight difference is very noticeable.

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:55 am

I am the guy that had my Steez A turn geary after using it for Chaterbaits. Unfortunately the second set of gears suffered the same fate. Also, for the second time the anti reverse bearings have randomly failed when setting the hook on fish. I must be super hard on my reels because even my Bantam MGL and Curado 71 MGL gears have a slight buzz to them.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:37 am

joekaz wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:55 am
I am the guy that had my Steez A turn geary after using it for Chaterbaits. Unfortunately the second set of gears suffered the same fate. Also, for the second time the anti reverse bearings have randomly failed when setting the hook on fish. I must be super hard on my reels because even my Bantam MGL and Curado 71 MGL gears have a slight buzz to them.
It's posts like this that have kept me away from newer reels. If I am dropping $300 plus on a reel I want butter smooth, no gear mesh like the drag is backed off all the way but its not levels of smooth. I also want it to stay that way or very close to that after years of use. A reel that starts out butter and has little deterioration over time with normal use. My TD Zillions and Alphas have been this way but my old Steez/SS SV reels have not been as good but have fared ok compared to the stories I hear from last gen met owners, the plastic Chronarchs and Curado i reels. I remember reading here about everyone raving over the years about how smooth the old Steez were... until they weren't anymore. I had already drank the cool aid and bought mine and now as used reels I am in the process of replacing the gears with brass as they deteriorate beyond my used Alphas SV levels of smooth. Once I put down one of my Steez platform reels and pick up an Alphas SV and it feels like a higher end reel then that Steez gets marked for a gear upgrade.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:01 am

joekaz wrote:
I must be super hard on my reels because even my Bantam MGL and Curado 71 MGL gears have a slight buzz to them.
One of my Mets got a little buzzy after its first year of usage on all kinds of different baits.

I sent it off to Dan Isaac and he said it wasn't the gear. It was ball bearing PN# BNT3927. He said a very common issue. All my Mets came back perfect after he replaced that part.

You might want to look into that being the issue. I would be very surprised if your Bantam's were already worn out gear-wise.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:08 am

Where was all this talk when guys like Bronzefly has been singing praises for the Daiwa Aluminum? Haha

I lurk on here quite a bit and this is news to me.

I will say, I will never buy another Daiwa that has an asterisk next to the part number for gear sets. That is what required I send my Morethan back to Japan for service. That was absolutely crazy and if JLS hadn't been so kind to offer to pay one way shipping it would have been $150 all in. JLS thought Daiwa would replace under warranty but they said "pinion damaged due to abuse". They also included a printout telling me how to cast with the thumb on spool and a graphic of "ouch".

I guess I'll keep the Zillion on non-braid related duty until we see some hard use reviews.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:35 am

RMCatchNrelease wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:08 am

I guess I'll keep the Zillion on non-braid related duty until we see some hard use reviews.
This is also why I'm interested in the possible brass/aluminum gear options with the new Zillion.

This is a great option for the consumer to have.

wilddog66
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wilddog66 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:50 am

CFDoc wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:01 am
joekaz wrote:
I must be super hard on my reels because even my Bantam MGL and Curado 71 MGL gears have a slight buzz to them.
One of my Mets got a little buzzy after its first year of usage on all kinds of different baits.

I sent it off to Dan Isaac and he said it wasn't the gear. It was ball bearing PN# BNT3927. He said a very common issue. All my Mets came back perfect after he replaced that part.

You might want to look into that being the issue. I would be very surprised if your Bantam's were already worn out gear-wise.
This is why I always start out by replacing both pinion bearings before I replace a gear set.

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:19 am

CFDoc wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:01 am
joekaz wrote:

I have one of those bearings. I will try it out. Thanks.

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:42 am

RMCatchNrelease wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:08 am
Where was all this talk when guys like Bronzefly has been singing praises for the Daiwa Aluminum? Haha

I lurk on here quite a bit and this is news to me.

I will say, I will never buy another Daiwa that has an asterisk next to the part number for gear sets. That is what required I send my Morethan back to Japan for service. That was absolutely crazy and if JLS hadn't been so kind to offer to pay one way shipping it would have been $150 all in. JLS thought Daiwa would replace under warranty but they said "pinion damaged due to abuse". They also included a printout telling me how to cast with the thumb on spool and a graphic of "ouch".

I think I remember there was talk about the morethan gears a while back. Is there a valid reason why Daiwa Japan won't sell replacement gear sets for this reel? I'm wondering if the Steez A gears would fit as a replacement?