Zillion sv TW 1000

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Zillion sv TW 1000

Post by CFDoc » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:44 pm

Hopefully I have more time tomorrow with this reel. I plan on going from 1/8oz —> 1oz baits and ML —> XH rods. What I’m really excited to try is skipping with the SV boost.

I also snapped a couple pics of the zillion against a Lews size wise. I know a bunch of zillion vs Met pics were already posted. These should help show just how much more compact the Lews SLP frames are comparatively speaking. It’s definitely a noticeable difference.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:10 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:12 pm
My 2 cents first impression as a pure consumer of tackle with no technical expertise in reels for what that’s worth. What a sweet reel! I like it better than the new limited steez head to head. Feels better in my hands. The size is just right and there’s just something about the solid feel of aluminum that feels better to me than magnesium. Casting wise, they are equal in all respects in my amateur hands and limited time with them. One would really have to split hairs to say one’s better than the other casting wise or feel. Superficially, I think the new zillion looks sexier than the latest steez even with the new shiny paint on the steez and the hints of shimano exterior design might actually explain some of that appeal. Then, if you translate the yen for yen trade off, it’s all zillion by a long shot in my book. In my mind, this is the nicest new daiwa reel since the tdz.
Nice

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:28 am

CFDoc wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:54 pm
bronzefly wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:35 pm

Hacked together indeed :lol:

Knobs on the US version are indeed larger than those on the Japan model.
I’ll have a better solution when the beauty pageant comes to town.

Let me know when y’all get parts in stock. I’ll bet the USDM knobs would fit directly.
It's all in good fun!

Generally, Daiwa makes parts available for new platform reels about 6 months after the release. We probably won't see stock gear sets, handles, or spools available until fall or winter. Daiwa typically doesn't sell knobs by themselves either, but fortunately, any number of existing Daiwa handles and knobs will be a direct replacement.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:41 am

I like the size. The Alphas looks like the reel to get for an affordable compact Daiwa. Just as it has always been. The 32mm spool allows the frame to be shorter and thats what the Lews reels do too. The 34mm spool will ensure that the Zillion is a bigger reel which is worth it to have 34mm spool compatability. I have more 34mm Diawa spools then I do reels.. I actually want to see more 36mm spools from this new 36mm Steez A. I like the additional capacity for 65# braid and have two old 36mm TD Zillion Megabass IP reels that I adore. 34mm spools can be capacity challenged when bombing frogs.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200802-174347_Gallery_copy_707x1240.jpg
Screenshot_20200802-174347_Gallery_copy_707x1240.jpg (66.46 KiB) Viewed 5063 times

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:14 am

LowRange wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:41 am
I like the size. The Alphas looks like the reel to get for an affordable compact Daiwa. Just as it has always been.
I wasn't trying to suggest one particular frame size is "right" or "wrong". Really just observations for comparisons sake. If you look at some recent postings here (and some of the other sites as well), a good many folks ask questions about how one reel feels in hand vs. another.

For me, if I'm just chunkin' and windin', I really could not care less how the frame feels in my hand. And most of the time, I'm just reeling with very little part of my hand on the reel anyways (other than on the handle).

It's really just flippin', pitchin', and skippin' where I strongly consider overall frame size to be important. I buy RH reels but cast left handed. So for these techniques, my left hand is really connected to the palm side of the reel. I really dislike any bulk on the palm side when I'm doing these techniques for a long period of time.
bronzefly wrote: It's all in good fun!

Generally, Daiwa makes parts available for new platform reels about 6 months after the release.
Yeah I thought it was funny. I lol'd myself when I saw all I had was a Lews handle in the drawer.

The knobs are almost an exact copy of the Met B though. And I've ordered several parts directly from Shimano recently with no problems. I think that would be the best solution until the handles come in. Thanks for the info.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:04 am

CFDoc wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:43 pm
Got mine today from Japan Tackle. I can 100% confirm Japan Tackle is selling the Made in Japan aluminum gear version.

Didn’t get to take it out. Work kept me in today.

First impressions are the handle knobs are way too small. Hopefully the USDM version comes with larger knobs like Shimano did for the Met B.

I hacked together a solution for now with a Lews handle. Here’s a couple pics that show just how small the knobs are.

Daiwa has a chunky version of the new style I knobs on thr Ryoga they sell on Plat but they are not cheap. Another option is the Gomexus knobs if you like chunky knobs.
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/400115308 ... .jpg_.webp

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:14 am

Does anyone know if the black plastic cover at the bottom/side of the main frame is meant to allow greasing the main gear? And meant to be able to be opened without opening the whole reel up?

Is there a trick to opening the plastic cover, And getting the black piece back in, without feeling like you're doing something really wrong...?

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:15 am

Well I'll be waiting 'til May to use it, but I decided to preorder a USDM version as my first Daiwa reel (and also my first purchase from TTT). It looks too good and the reports are too good to resist! After finishing the copycat site review I said what the hell and pulled the trigger.

I look forward to comparing it to my Bantams, though I suspect I will find little difference other than weight, which truly would be a very good thing!

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:42 am

Even tho i don't need yet another reel, the compact body, light weight and smoothness is not something i'll be passing by. Will be getting the JDM version in Spring.

I can tell this will be a massive success for Daiwa. They better take notes and create more reels like it (Japan made, 34mm spool, light weight compact body and frames that aren't rehashed Tatulas).

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:00 am

Really hoping so! Daiwa engineers has proven that they can be innovative in correct way when they are allowed to!

(Of course Tatula's are important baitcasters for Daiwa as cash flow, but those reels are not highly appreciated in here. But I think that is result of Daiwa has paid too much attention to Tatula's over higher end products.)

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:19 am

Just saw the vid. He says there is no different in casting distance between the SV Boost and SV spools. He also casts with the mag dial as low as 5 out of 20 on his reels and does a lot of lob casts and low energy casting while palming in the vids I have seen. I don't think I have ever seen him bomb cast an SV Daiwa. I wonder if he can even appreciate the SV Boost spool. Has anyone compared an SV Boost to a regular SV spool yet?

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:50 am

I can’t compare SV boost to SV, but I’ve now done a good couple of hours with the zillion vs the 20 Met.

They really are two different animals casting wise.

And I don’t know how copycat got his down to a dial setting of 4 without back lashing on a hard cast. 5-6 is the absolute lowest I could go.

Anyways, I’ve thrown weightless yum dingers all the way up to 3/4 oz jigs. Hands down the Met wins the lighter bait war when going for distance. You can really feel the middle of the cast being a free spool like experience. While the SV spool is biting during middle to end of the cast.

Everything changed as the weight increased though. I struggle to bomb the Met with thick line and heavy baits. Whereas the SV spool seemed much more effortless with big line and heavy baits.

I posted some more information on the bass resource site. One thing I haven’t mentioned yet is I just ordered a second one from Japan tackle. This is now my go to heavy jig reel. Hopefully the brass gears will be interchangeable so I could go flipping mats with it.

It’s truly the smoothest reel I’ve ever felt.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:24 am

LowRange wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:19 am
Just saw the vid. He says there is no different in casting distance between the SV Boost and SV spools. He also casts with the mag dial as low as 5 out of 20 on his reels and does a lot of lob casts and low energy casting while palming in the vids I have seen. I don't think I have ever seen him bomb cast an SV Daiwa. I wonder if he can even appreciate the SV Boost spool. Has anyone compared an SV Boost to a regular SV spool yet?
Take into account that he is using braid in all of his set ups, so low on the dial is all you need, especially with sv spools.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:26 am

CFDoc wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:50 am
I can’t compare SV boost to SV, but I’ve now done a good couple of hours with the zillion vs the 20 Met.

They really are two different animals casting wise.

And I don’t know how copycat got his down to a dial setting of 4 without back lashing on a hard cast. 5-6 is the absolute lowest I could go.

Anyways, I’ve thrown weightless yum dingers all the way up to 3/4 oz jigs. Hands down the Met wins the lighter bait war when going for distance. You can really feel the middle of the cast being a free spool like experience. While the SV spool is biting during middle to end of the cast.

Everything changed as the weight increased though. I struggle to bomb the Met with thick line and heavy baits. Whereas the SV spool seemed much more effortless with big line and heavy baits.

I posted some more information on the bass resource site. One thing I haven’t mentioned yet is I just ordered a second one from Japan tackle. This is now my go to heavy jig reel. Hopefully the brass gears will be interchangeable so I could go flipping mats with it.

It’s truly the smoothest reel I’ve ever felt.
you're most likely using fluoro, while he is using braid, which is much easier to control on a cast.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:07 pm

Yes everything I’ve tried so far has been 12, 15, and 20 lb tatsu. Will try braid next. I would still be very surprised if the zillion could match the Met on the lighter end of the spectrum.

I had a good call with Dan Isaac the other day about getting the most out of my Mets. He had a good explanation of what happens when the line thickness gets big and ‘chokes’ the conical shaped line guide.