Zillion sv TW 1000

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Zillion sv TW 1000

Post by LowRange » Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:22 am

SSS wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:10 am
So i decided to swap the gear set from my zillion into the steez tw and the steez gear set into the zillion. Everything fits and turns smoothly. What exactly were folks saying that is not compatible? Will try both on the water later today, but on the bench, they seem to be fitting perfectly.
I can finally buy used Steez TW reels now. Was avoiding then due to the aluminum gears and no drop in bass gears.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:37 am

LowRange wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:22 am
SSS wrote:
So i decided to swap the gear set from my zillion into the steez tw and the steez gear set into the zillion. Everything fits and turns smoothly. What exactly were folks saying that is not compatible? Will try both on the water later today, but on the bench, they seem to be fitting perfectly.
I can finally buy used Steez TW reels now. Was avoiding then due to the aluminum gears and no drop in bass gears.
Those gears also swap between the Steez CT and the Alphas SV TW.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:15 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:37 am
LowRange wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:22 am
SSS wrote:
Those gears also swap between the Steez CT and the Alphas SV TW.
Not sure the price of the alphas sv tw gears since the reel is not on Plat, but the zillion gears are as smooth as they are, and cost less than the ones on the steez ct and the steez sv tw, while also having the drag clicker. I see the zillion gears being in very high demand in the near future.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:46 pm

After the gear swap, the steez feels significantly smoother. Under load, it feels like all the bearings and gears were removed, and replaced by a blob of grease, and the only friction inside the reel is grease on grease :shock: It does feel smoother than the zillion and i haven't even serviced my steez since mid last season.

Also, sent Daiwa a mail asking them for the price of the brass gear set for the zillion, and it was $15 more expensive than the duraluminum one from Plat and the eta on availability is February.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:19 pm

Anyone own both the US and JDM models? Comparisons? I think I sold mine too soon, before I tried any spool swapping. What spools are you guys preferring to run in your Zillion? I think I'm gonna get another and play around with several spools. Not sure which model I want. I prefer brass gears, but don't really care for the additional weight.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:32 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:19 pm
Anyone own both the US and JDM models? Comparisons? I think I sold mine too soon, before I tried any spool swapping. What spools are you guys preferring to run in your Zillion? I think I'm gonna get another and play around with several spools. Not sure which model I want. I prefer brass gears, but don't really care for the additional weight.
I own 2 JDM so no transpacific comparison. Haven't really used the stock spool. As usual, love the ZPI NRC001-M. Also enjoy the shallow DIY spool with 4-position fixed inductor.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:11 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:32 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
I own 2 JDM so no transpacific comparison. Haven't really used the stock spool. As usual, love the ZPI NRC001-M. Also enjoy the shallow DIY spool with 4-position fixed inductor.
How does the Zpi Nrc001-m perform? Is it more controlled and consistent? Does it work better with baits under a quarter ounce? What are you using the boost with? When I get the reel, I want to try the boost spool in my Steez SV TW. I also want to try the SV 1012 and KTF Neo in the Zillion.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:21 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:11 pm
Dalleinf wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
How does the Zpi Nrc001-m perform? Is it more controlled and consistent? Does it work better with baits under a quarter ounce? What are you using the boost with? When I get the reel, I want to try the boost spool in my Steez SV TW. I also want to try the SV 1012 and KTF Neo in the Zillion.
I own 30+ Daiwa baitcasters and only really use the stock spool in 2 reels (Lexa 300 and PX68SPR).
The boost spool is not being used.
I do not have the fortune of LM Bass in neck of the woods. My impression is that with LM Bass 3/8-1 oz lures get used a lot and you do not need a lot of line (?).
Instead I have great trout and perch fishing, which calls for the ability to throw very light lures. I also have great salmon fishing (need a lot of line) and great pike fishing (very heavy lures, thick line).
The standard 34 mm Daiwa spools just do not seem to fit in anywhere for me...maybe if I used my Daiwas for inshore fishing :-k but there I find that classic ABUs and some Shimanos shine with ease of maintenance after salt exposure and/or greater casting distance...
Plus I just love Daiwas too much to expose them to salt :lol:

Well. That was a detour.

The ZPI spool means that I can throw my 2.5 - 7.0 gram lures with ease.
Controlled: With FC, mono or braid. In wind since often windy in DK where the sea is always near. And when it is difficult to get full casting motion due to vegetation/trees.
Consistent: I can swap from a 2.5 g lure to a 7 g lure with no need to change any settings.
Distance: Is quite good with the aforementioned line types and lure weights.
All the 34mm SV spools can do 7 g, but IMO and in my hands they struggle with "control" and "consistency" with 3-5 g in wind and where vegetation...
To me and for my type of fishing the ZPI NRC001-M spools just work great, no hassles at all, plain and simple.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:54 pm

Boost spool in the sv tw feels great :) recently put the rays hlc spool with zpi ceramic bearing in the sv tw and that feels great to :).

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:01 pm

Real Pudd legend wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:54 pm
Boost spool in the sv tw feels great :) recently put the rays hlc spool with zpi ceramic bearing in the sv tw and that feels great to :).
Do you feel that it's an improvement over the stock Steez SV TW spool? If so, how? Is it faster? Does it have a tendency to get fluffy like it does in the Zillion?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:02 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:21 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:11 pm
Dalleinf wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
I own 30+ Daiwa baitcasters and only really use the stock spool in 2 reels (Lexa 300 and PX68SPR).
The boost spool is not being used.
I do not have the fortune of LM Bass in neck of the woods. My impression is that with LM Bass 3/8-1 oz lures get used a lot and you do not need a lot of line (?).
Instead I have great trout and perch fishing, which calls for the ability to throw very light lures. I also have great salmon fishing (need a lot of line) and great pike fishing (very heavy lures, thick line).
The standard 34 mm Daiwa spools just do not seem to fit in anywhere for me...maybe if I used my Daiwas for inshore fishing :-k but there I find that classic ABUs and some Shimanos shine with ease of maintenance after salt exposure and/or greater casting distance...
Plus I just love Daiwas too much to expose them to salt :lol:

Well. That was a detour.

The ZPI spool means that I can throw my 2.5 - 7.0 gram lures with ease.
Controlled: With FC, mono or braid. In wind since often windy in DK where the sea is always near. And when it is difficult to get full casting motion due to vegetation/trees.
Consistent: I can swap from a 2.5 g lure to a 7 g lure with no need to change any settings.
Distance: Is quite good with the aforementioned line types and lure weights.
All the 34mm SV spools can do 7 g, but IMO and in my hands they struggle with "control" and "consistency" with 3-5 g in wind and where vegetation...
To me and for my type of fishing the ZPI NRC001-M spools just work great, no hassles at all, plain and simple.
Sounds like the Zpi Nrc001-m performs similar in the Zillion as it does in the Steez SV TW.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:24 pm

^yes, and it performs the same in the Morethan, which of course is very much like the steez…

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:58 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
I think I sold mine too soon, before I tried any spool swapping. What spools are you guys preferring to run in your Zillion?
Hello!
I can repeat my post from another thread:
freelancer27 wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:55 am
Has anybody tested this? Has anybody put their SV Boost spool into another reel (Steez Sv, Steez A)?
I have 1016 SV spool, Rays HLC spool (viewtopic.php?f=65&t=80168), Roro BFS spool (viewtopic.php?f=65&t=84497) - all of it 34 mm and fits in new Zillion as original SV Boost.
This allows me quickly change lines while fishing. For example, PE on Boost spool and 14 Lb fluocarbone on 1016.
LowRange wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:25 am
I've heard from more than one source that the Zillion SV Boost in the Steez TW reels is great combo and even more free casting.
Fully confirmed.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:34 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:01 pm
Real Pudd legend wrote:
Do you feel that it's an improvement over the stock Steez SV TW spool? If so, how? Is it faster? Does it have a tendency to get fluffy like it does in the Zillion?
The stock sv tw spool was so over braked for me, wasn’t getting the distance and free feel I like. The boost was easier to cast and bombs the bait with ease. You can feel that extra distance at the end of the cast.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:12 pm

Real Pudd legend wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:34 am
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:01 pm
Real Pudd legend wrote:
The stock sv tw spool was so over braked for me, wasn’t getting the distance and free feel I like. The boost was easier to cast and bombs the bait with ease. You can feel that extra distance at the end of the cast.
I really like the SV1012 spool in the Steez SV TW. I don't feel that it's over braked myself. Where do you run the brake dial at with the boost spool? Any over run, fluff, or butt puckering moments? I'll definitely try it, just don't want it to be too fast. Have you used baits of a quarter ounce or less with the boost spool in the Steez? That's where the 1012SV spool shines in my Steez SV TW, though I prefer the Zpi Nrc001-m more. I could see that extra distance from the boost spool with baits a half ounce or greater, but not sure about the lighter stuff.