Zillion sv TW 1000

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Zillion sv TW 1000

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:02 pm

I have always liked the little metal/aluminum colored lock plate better than the plastic. Wonder if you could replace it how with an older style? A gunmetal or silver color would look great with the new sleeker metallic Zillion and Alphas look.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:08 pm

HobeyBaker wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:19 am
SSS wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:24 am
Just like the Alphas TW, the black plastic piece on the handle side plate it killing it for me. Reminds me of $99 reels.
I can't remember off the top of my head if they are plastic or not, but it's the same style retainer that Shimano uses for the Metanium MGL and Metanium B. The metal clip that Daiwa uses on the Steez is classier, but not a deal breaker for myself.

I really like the Metanium B at its price point and will be watching the reports on how this reel performs. I have all of the current variants of Steezs and like the CT the best, but I don't think it's worth the $150-200 more than what I can get the Metanium B for.
I think he might be referring to the engine cover. If so, I completely agree. It doesn't exactly scream high end. If he's just referring to the nut retainer, easy swap.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:13 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:08 pm
HobeyBaker wrote:
SSS wrote:
Just like the Alphas TW, the black plastic piece on the handle side plate it killing it for me. Reminds me of $99 reels.
I can't remember off the top of my head if they are plastic or not, but it's the same style retainer that Shimano uses for the Metanium MGL and Metanium B. The metal clip that Daiwa uses on the Steez is classier, but not a deal breaker for myself.

I really like the Metanium B at its price point and will be watching the reports on how this reel performs. I have all of the current variants of Steezs and like the CT the best, but I don't think it's worth the $150-200 more than what I can get the Metanium B for.
I think he might be referring to the engine cover. If so, I completely agree. It doesn't exactly scream high end. If he's just referring to the nut retainer, easy swap.
I read the article after I posted and I think you’re right. The article says the side is resin (Zaion?) to save weight. I’m not sure why they didn’t go with aluminum and have it weigh a little more. Probably a cost savings measure.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:59 pm

HobeyBaker wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:13 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
HobeyBaker wrote:
SSS wrote:

I read the article after I posted and I think you’re right. The article says the side is resin (Zaion?) to save weight. I’m not sure why they didn’t go with aluminum and have it weigh a little more. Probably a cost savings measure.
It looks dull and a bit cheap. Not very Daiwa like.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:58 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:59 pm
HobeyBaker wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
HobeyBaker wrote:
SSS wrote:

Was referring to the engine cover. Just look at how sharp it looks on a Steez (old or new), which is made out of metal, then look at what's on the Alphas TW and the new Zillion. And how is it that the older 2015 made in Thialand Zillion's had such a good looking engine cover all made out of metal, and now we're getting this Black Max levels of ugliness? Talk about a downgrade.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:55 am

SSS wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:58 am
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:59 pm
HobeyBaker wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
HobeyBaker wrote:

Was referring to the engine cover. Just look at how sharp it looks on a Steez (old or new), which is made out of metal, then look at what's on the Alphas TW and the new Zillion. And how is it that the older 2015 made in Thialand Zillion's had such a good looking engine cover all made out of metal, and now we're getting this Black Max levels of ugliness? Talk about a downgrade.
It certainly is disheartening. There seems to be no character or fun put into these reels. I know they are essentially tools, but why can't we have both.

A zillion with no bumpers or color coding makes me sad. I think the black engine cover and cheap handle nut/cover is worse.

It seems I love Daiwa more they do.

I'd be so stoked to be bring the famed Zillion back to Japan. Why not highlight that in the design? I'm not well versed in Japanese culture but I'm sure there are some design or color based elements that could signify something special.

They put a stupid spider on a $150 reel. Why not a cool Daruma doll logo? Imagine one of these guys faintly ghosted on the side plate.
IMG_20201221_37313.jpg
IMG_20201221_37313.jpg (39.88 KiB) Viewed 5288 times
What drew me into Daiwa was the coolness an style of the JDM. This all silver and black doesn't do it for me.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:02 am

I have to imagine that they are trying to compete with the new Metanium with this reel. Hard to compete with that reel if it’s not priced accordingly and not made in Japan.

Fjordblue
Angler
Angler

Post by Fjordblue » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:30 am

Steez ltd and new zillion have different spools. Spool off ltd is lighter due to porting and slightly different braking rotor. Steez ltd spool 13 gram.zillion 13.4some grams.

All spools are interchangeable with previous platform.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:22 pm

The southpaw models are in stock at Japan Tackle. All of the new Steez models are in stock, and all of the new Alphas models are minus the lefty 8.1:1.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:27 am

Fjordblue wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:30 am
Steez ltd and new zillion have different spools. Spool off ltd is lighter due to porting and slightly different braking rotor. Steez ltd spool 13 gram.zillion 13.4some grams.

All spools are interchangeable with previous platform.
All spools are interchangeable with previous models? Can you elaborate? Do you mean all 34mm platforms? Have you used these new dual spring spools in previous reels?

Fjordblue
Angler
Angler

Post by Fjordblue » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:35 am

I don’t own any off the new platforms. Probably will wait until I can try one with my own hands.
Saw on ktf site that they Advice there 34 mm spools to be used in new zillion and Steez ltd.

Fjordblue
Angler
Angler

Post by Fjordblue » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:15 am

Video off Steez ltd spool in 16 Steez Sv tw.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XYZYTf_kAlI

Jbc88
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jbc88 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:42 pm

Oh man!! My zillion just came in today and i could tell you guys that you wont be disappointed. Its alot smoother and better with the new zillion. I also have the previous steezs as well and i got to say, this new zillion is par with them or even better. You can really tell a difference with this new sv boost spool. Oh yeah and it has the clicking drag feature! 😁

Jbc88
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jbc88 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:52 pm

HobeyBaker wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:02 am
I have to imagine that they are trying to compete with the new Metanium with this reel. Hard to compete with that reel if it’s not priced accordingly and not made in Japan.
Mine just came in today and it is made in japan 😉
I did have the 20 metanium but sold it to get this one lol and i can say that you wont be disappointed with this new zillion. This new zillion is smoother and has more of a solid feel. I will be getting more of them with the lower and higher gear ratios. Also has a nice drag clicker 👍

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:03 pm

Jbc88 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:52 pm

Mine just came in today and it is made in japan 😉
I did have the 20 metanium but sold it to get this one lol and i can say that you wont be disappointed with this new zillion. This new zillion is smoother and has more of a solid feel. I will be getting more of them with the lower and higher gear ratios. Also has a nice drag clicker 👍
How does it feel size wise to the Met?

I have Mets too but may get rid of them if this thing is as compact as a SLP and fixes the issues I have with the Met.