Steez ltd sv tw

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Steez ltd sv tw

Post by LowRange » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:33 pm

CFDoc wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:42 pm
For a guy that has said,
“adam lancia wrote:I will not be watching the video...
You seem to not be short on definitive opinions about the video.

And if you would actually watch the video, statements like this,
adam lancia wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:55 pm

The second opinion bearing has been on every single Daiwa I've owned. Certainly he didn't think that was a new feature...
wouldn’t be necessary. But since you’re hell bent on the ‘head in the sand’ approach, I’ll try to clear up some of the details.

The marketing fodder for the new Steez Ltd is suggesting 5 NEW technologies. They are as follows:

1.) Hyperdrive digigear. The video shows there are no changes to the gear. Some have suggested there may be a ‘U’ vs ‘V’ difference, but the video magnified closely and they look exactly the same as non digigear gears.

2.) Hyperarmed housing. The video shows there is nothing different about the housing other than paint color. They are EXACTLY the same.

3.) Hypertough clutch. Again, means nothing. Clutch is exactly the same as previous model. Identical part numbers.

4.) Hyper double support. Again, means nothing, exact same system and part number as before.

5.) Hyper SV boost. Finally a difference!!! The stiffer spring spool.

Daiwa’s marketing ads on Facebook, the box the reel is shipped with, and the official information on Daiwa’s website all suggest the ‘hyper’ additions are something new and not rehashed items from the past.

Now go watch the video so you won’t have to make posts like these going forward.
Daiwa has been calling their gears digigears for years. The hyper added on was supposed to be the new part. They just added Hyper in front of terms they already used. Sort of like Shimano with Hagane.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:42 pm

LowRange wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:33 pm

Daiwa has been calling their gears digigears for years. The hyper added on was supposed to be the new part. They just added Hyper in front of terms they already used. Sort of like Shimano with Hagane.
Correct. I meant to type ‘hyperdrive digigear is no different than non hyperdrive digigear’.

Daiwa’s superfluous adjective game is truly remarkable and difficult to keep up with, lol.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:42 pm

CFDoc wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:56 am
LowRange wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:22 am

Exactly like the previous gen of limited Steez. Fancy paint Steez in limited production with a new spool. Honest not disappointing at all if you knew what you were in for.
I have zero knowledge of previous Ltd Steez’s so I’m legitimately curious...did the previous Ltd Steez also come with a box and marketing that advertised 5 NEW technology improvements that ended up being nothing more than a spool and paint?

Regardless, I find the ‘blame the consumer’ narrative interesting to say the least. Especially at this price for a product.
I honestly don't know. I don't read the outside of boxes or fall for marketing hype. I also know enough to roll my eyes at anything with the word "hyper" on it that much. Its a cool paint finish steez with a black t wing. Thats enough to make me want one if the finish will hold up. I'll just pick up a mint used one like my last Steez LTD.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:13 pm

LowRange wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:42 pm
CFDoc wrote:
LowRange wrote:

Exactly like the previous gen of limited Steez. Fancy paint Steez in limited production with a new spool. Honest not disappointing at all if you knew what you were in for.
I have zero knowledge of previous Ltd Steez’s so I’m legitimately curious...did the previous Ltd Steez also come with a box and marketing that advertised 5 NEW technology improvements that ended up being nothing more than a spool and paint?

Regardless, I find the ‘blame the consumer’ narrative interesting to say the least. Especially at this price for a product.
I honestly don't know. I don't read the outside of boxes or fall for marketing hype. I also know enough to roll my eyes at anything with the word "hyper" on it that much. Its a cool paint finish steez with a black t wing. Thats enough to make me want one if the finish will hold up. I'll just pick up a mint used one like my last Steez LTD.
I'm with ya....I'm not sure what the uproar is about. It really seems people are getting butthurt over the sake of just being butthurt. The previous 2014 LTD was a paint scheme and a spool...unless you live in neverland I'm not sure why anybody would think the LTD version of the SVTW would be anything different....

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:45 pm

iabass8 wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:13 pm
LowRange wrote:
CFDoc wrote:
LowRange wrote:

I'm with ya....I'm not sure what the uproar is about. It really seems people are getting butthurt over the sake of just being butthurt. The previous 2014 LTD was a paint scheme and a spool...unless you live in neverland I'm not sure why anybody would think the LTD version of the SVTW would be anything different....
I must live in neverland because after watching the videos of the pro's drooling over how smooth the hyper gears were, I was convinced the gears were new and improved.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:58 pm

joekaz wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:45 pm
iabass8 wrote:
LowRange wrote:
CFDoc wrote:
LowRange wrote:

I must live in neverland because after watching the videos of the pro's drooling over how smooth the hyper gears were, I was convinced the gears were new and improved.
They are rewarded for kind words about their sponsors, so it didnt surprise me that they ran that smoothness talk into the ground. Heck, it's possible that they might have been fooled by the marketing hype themselves. The Steez SV TW is a stupid-smooth reel, so I think they would actually give them a legit reason to talk about the smoothness. Even most of those guys dont actually fish the current Steez in their day to day fishing(I see lots of Tat Elites in the tourneys), so it could have been their first real on-the-water experience with the Steez. I'm not making excuses for anyone or any product, but any of the above are legit possibilities.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:13 pm

joekaz wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:45 pm
iabass8 wrote:
LowRange wrote:
CFDoc wrote:
LowRange wrote:

Its marketing ...the steez a/morethan/svtw are ridiculously smooth reels. It’s their job to sell you on it....Do you think they’re going to tell you the LTD version of the their flagship is anything less than “the smoothest and longest/easiest casting reel ever?”....i mean cmon..do you think theres actually a camera in the cars of people buying whoppers in the burger king commercial?....thats why this site exists....so we dont rely on some you tube promotion.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:16 am

CFDoc wrote:
For a guy that has said,
“adam lancia wrote:I will not be watching the video...
You seem to not be short on definitive opinions about the video.

And if you would actually watch the video, statements like this,
adam lancia wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:55 pm

The second pinion bearing has been on every single Daiwa I've owned. Certainly he didn't think that was a new feature...
wouldn’t be necessary. But since you’re hell bent on the ‘head in the sand’ approach, I’ll try to clear up some of the details.

The marketing fodder for the new Steez Ltd is suggesting 5 NEW technologies. They are as follows:

1.) Hyperdrive digigear. The video shows there are no changes to the gear. Some have suggested there may be a ‘U’ vs ‘V’ difference, but the video magnified closely and they look exactly the same as non digigear gears.

2.) Hyperarmed housing. The video shows there is nothing different about the housing other than paint color. They are EXACTLY the same.

3.) Hypertough clutch. Again, means nothing. Clutch is exactly the same as previous model. Identical part numbers.

4.) Hyper double support. Again, means nothing, exact same system and part number as before.

5.) Hyper SV boost. Finally a difference!!! The stiffer spring spool.

Daiwa’s marketing ads on Facebook, the box the reel is shipped with, and the official information on Daiwa’s website all suggest the ‘hyper’ additions are something new and not rehashed items from the past.

Now go watch the video so you won’t have to make posts like these going forward.
Agreed on all your points about nothing other than the spool and paint being new, standard Daiwa protocol for a limited reel over the last however long. Daiwa's marketing the Hyper moniker is misleading for sure.

I don't watch YouTube videos for reel breakdowns, there are just too many click-bait videos out there (just like this one sounds to be) that don't interest me. There's a few guys I'll trust when it comes to their assessment of a reel and none of them have YouTube channels so I just message them on Messenger and get an honest opinion and advice. I guess I just get irritated by the social media dorks who are literally just fishing for likes by exaggerating whatever it is they're talking about, and this guy sounds like he fits that mold at least partially, so I'll just steer clear. You and others obviously find what he does valuable so that's great, enjoy. It's not my deal though.

As for my head being in the sand, I guess call me an ostrich that knows how to look at a picture and ignore flashy words to see if something's different or improved. Maybe that's why I haven't been able to get my reels super smooth, what with all the feathers sticking to the grease and what not...

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:17 am

I wonder if the gears in the new Zillion are the same as the gears in the Steez variants.

rto
Angler
Angler

Post by rto » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:52 am

Very entertaining and somewhat bizarre stuff here in this thread, and all the proof anyone would ever need that psych evals should be mandatory for jurors. Gee Wiz. How ignorant am I for passing up the course in Ad Copy Forensics? Such a dope.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:11 am

rto wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:52 am
Very entertaining and somewhat bizarre stuff here in this thread, and all the proof anyone would ever need thaat psych evals should be mandatory for jurors. Gee Wiz. How ignorant am I for passing up the course in Ad Copy Forensics? Such a dope.
Best post in this entire thread, mine included. =D>
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:46 am

iabass8 wrote:
LowRange wrote:
CFDoc wrote:
LowRange wrote:

I think some people are not as cynical on newer Daiwas as we are. Maybe now they will be lol. Don't take the project t vids litterally. Raise an eyebrow when you here hyper on anything. I'm more upset Shimano had the audacity to call the Curado MGL a Curado 70k MGL because they painted it the same as if we are too stupid to tell that it is the Curado 70i platform.

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:04 am

CFDoc wrote:
By the looks of your post count, you seem to watch a lot of vids, and that’s a good thing for this forum! Lol

Adam, i’m afraid ostrich might stick going forward buddy! Lolol
Canadian arm to what is Megabass of America
Instagram @m.a.dufour

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:56 am

I watched the video and it was "meh". He could have been more thorough.

1. He did not weigh any of the parts. We don't know yet if different alloys or other material changes were made. Did they glass fill any of the plastics? I suspect not, but mass properties would be enlightening.

2. A new spool with a modded braking profile is a pretty big deal, and he glossed over it. It looked to me like the inductor had a beveled edge on the new spool. In the past, a new spool was reserved for different products - HLC, J-Dream, PE Specials, ito, etc...

3. It wasn't completely clear to me if all of the bearings are the same grade. A PN comparison could have shown that.

4. His expectations were a bit much. Of course they used the same investment tooling.

The 50th Zillion offered less as a LTD edition reel.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:34 am

Tokugawa wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:56 am

1. He did not weigh any of the parts. We don't know yet if different alloys or other material changes were made. Did they glass fill any of the plastics? I suspect not, but mass properties would be enlightening.
Good point. Looks like the 2016 Steez sv TW and this 2021 Steez Ltd are publishing overall weights of 5.7 ounces. But maybe there are some subtle differences on the internal parts.
Tokugawa wrote:

2. A new spool with a modded braking profile is a pretty big deal, and he glossed over it. It looked to me like the inductor had a beveled edge on the new spool. In the past, a new spool was reserved for different products - HLC, J-Dream, PE Specials, ito, etc...
Maybe, but he did put up on the screen a note that he absolutely loves the older Steez and verbally said he would need to actually get out and cast to see how the new spool performed. I guess he could of raved about it some more but without casting it, there’s not much to say.
Tokugawa wrote:

3. It wasn't completely clear to me if all of the bearings are the same grade. A PN comparison could have shown that.
There are several close up shots of the bearings. They sure do look identical. And he does verbally mention that he would check P/Ns.
Tokugawa wrote:

4. His expectations were a bit much. Of course they used the same investment
I do hope you’re right and there are actual improvements in the Ltd version. Mostly because it would be hilarious if the Daiwa product meeting had to go like this:

“Okay everybody, here’s what we’re gonna do. We’re gonna go all out spending on artistic drawings and digital content that rivals only ‘The Matrix’ in CGI for this facade we’re calling Hyperdrive. But when it comes to actually upgrading bearings, glass filling, and alloy improvements....everybody keep their mouth SHUT! Got it? Good!”