300 Size Reels, Tat or Curado?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

300 Size Reels, Tat or Curado?

Post by Kurt L » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:10 pm

Has anyone had a chance to handle them yet? I see that the new Curado has a graphite gear side cover? I ordered a Tatula 300 for that reason they claim to have an Aluminum gear side plate so I went with it. I ordered the 7.1:1 to pick up the speed from my Lexa and Curado 300E a little bit. I think the Curado might have the edge in casting but I don't understand why Shimano chose to cheap out on a heavy duty reel? The previous 300E is a beast. Unfortunately I will have to wait until spring to give a shake down when the King Salmon show up.

Kurt

rto
Angler
Angler

Re: 300 Size Reels, Tat or Curado?

Post by rto » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:35 pm

I have both. The 300K feels like the 200K, which is fine for a $200 reel. The Tatula 300 feels like a solid chunk of machinery, which is different, and it should be with a price difference of $80. With 25-30 lb mono I can cast farther with the Tatula, but the Curado is no slouch here. I haven't thrown either with braid.

A better comparison would be between the Tranx 300 with it's metal side plate and price tag, which I also have, and the Tatula 300. I prefer the Tatula here again because I'm throwing treble hook swim baits with heavy mono. The T Wing makes a difference with beefy line. While your sensibilities may be offended by several of the build choices made by Shimano with the 300K, I doubt your fishing will suffer one bit with it. It's hard to say what will happen in the long run while catching King Salmon. Will the side plate flex enough to allow the gears to separate enough to cause gear meshing issues while pulling that load? i don't know the answer. I'm only a simple bass fisherman.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:13 pm

^^^ Very good and informative reply. Thanks. Have you tried the 1516 / 36mm spool size Daiwas, eg Zillion HD, and how do you find they compare. Maybe not enough line capacity ?

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:04 pm

Thank you RTO that is good information! we throw a lot of large inline spinners and large lures with pretty high resistance then factoring in the current the cranking effort increases significantly so my reels are often working hard. My Lexa 300 has been a tank so hopefully the Tat will be too. Fishing for Kings in some of my area rivers is just like river Smallmouths they hold in similar types of structure and current breaks so there are some parallels, Lots of fun either way!

Thanks, Kurt

rto
Angler
Angler

Post by rto » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:06 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:13 pm
Have you tried the 1516 / 36mm spool size Daiwas, eg Zillion HD, and how do you find they compare. Maybe not enough line capacity ?
I have a Catalina TW 100 which is a close cousin of the Zillion HD. It also has a 36mm spool. Its very robust as it has the same build features where it counts. If I'm using 20 lb mono and a 7'6" stick I can spool it with an aerodynamic 1 oz lure like a MB Dark Sleeper. That's still a heck of a distance, but once line diameter increases as well as lure weight combined with 8'-9' rods line cap becomes an issue. The Tatula 300 feels just as well built cranking big wake baits as it also has Zillion-esque gear train features, minus the free floating spool, but line cap isn't an issue whatsoever. It holds plenty. In the end it's really just a Tatula in name because it's built more closely to Daiwa's upper end reels than current Tatulas. Tolerances might not be as closely held because there's a price tag associated with those things, but I don't know that as a fact. So far it feels tight, robust, and powerful.

rto
Angler
Angler

Post by rto » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:40 pm

Kurt L wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:04 pm
My Lexa 300 has been a tank so hopefully the Tat will be too. Fishing for Kings in some of my area rivers is just like river Smallmouths they hold in similar types of structure and current breaks so there are some parallels, Lots of fun either way!

Thanks, Kurt
I seriously doubt the Tatula will be a step backward from your Lexa. I was fine with mine but it did not feel as solid as the Tat does, so you should be good. It wouldn't be a bad idea to do at least a quickie gear and clutch lube job on your new reel, or at the very least make sure the gears aren't dry. Daiwa has been shipping reels with minimal lube for a while. For the type of duty you intend for yours, better safe than sorry.

If we had more Smallmouth lakes here I probably wouldn't bother chasing LM bass. I've only caught lake Smallmouths, and that can be heart stopping. Big Smallies in current must be insane. Giant Salmon in current, good for you!

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:53 pm

I run a Tranx 300 on one swimbait rod (Dobyns 807) and a Tatula 300 on another (Dobyns 806). Except for slightly less line capacity, I don't feel like the Tatula is any worse than the Tranx, particlarly for freshwater fishing. Casting for distance is super smooth on it. The Curadu 300 feels like it might be is in a different category (by design)? Less heavy duty, less line capacity etc.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:21 am

Tatula 300HL new platform for me. Very stoked and have two now 8-) definitely likey :P . I have one paired up with a Valkyrie World Expedition the other will also be on the shorter World Expedition eva handle version coming to my stable sometime next year :lol:

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:54 am

I have been very pleased with the new Tatula 300 in terms of both performance and build quality. Bryan at The Tackle Trap likes to tear into a new reel as soon as it shows to inspect internals, check the build, and become familiar with it from the beginning. This one is built very solidly and feels like it on the water. I've thrown a range of glide and swim baits, and tossed some umbrella rigs, even some mag deep cranks. The casting distance is fantastic, the smoothness is better than I expected. I like the rigidity of the aluminum handle side plate and the 110mm handle is a nice touch. While being robust, the reel still doesn't feel like an oversized monstrosity. I had it paired with a Megabass P5 Tequila Baccarat just for fun, but its permanent home will be on the Daiwa Kage 79MHRB A-rig rod as I think it is an ideal match for what I will do with it.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:58 pm

Between the two i'd go with the curado. But a Z2020 over both any day.

vncnt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vncnt » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:23 am

Daiwa states the Tatula 300 has magforce z. We’re they really able to put that braking system in a deep spool? I’ve only seen the standard magforce with the fixed inductor in a reel that size.

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:18 pm

My Lefty 7:1 showed up and it's pretty darn smooth, more so than some of my 100 size reels, and solid, the only minor gripe I could find without being on water is the thumb bar/clutch travel is a little long, about twice that of my Lexa 300. This thing should be lots of fun! Bravo Daiwa. :)

Kurt

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:51 am

I'm liking mine so much I may add 3rd. At first I had a ryoga, then I had a zillion HD mounted then I threw the tatula 300 on my slant Bridge super destruction and WoW I'm really digging that combo for slinging 68 specials. I have another world Expedition Valkyrie coming own the pipe line now without a partner(SBSD stole the 2nd Tat) so now the third may be needed :-k Covid and this is the kind of problems I have :lol:

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:55 am

Of course I had to share the situation and one side note the balance now on the SBSD is bananas :big grin:
Attachments
IMG_20201218_52565.jpg
IMG_20201218_52565.jpg (90.04 KiB) Viewed 4645 times

Jbc88
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jbc88 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:11 am

Cristo wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:55 am
Of course I had to share the situation and one side note the balance now on the SBSD is bananas :big grin:
I spy 2 megabass evoluzion rods. You sure have a nice collection there =D>