Daiwa Kage LT MQ

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa Kage LT MQ

Post by HobeyBaker » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:30 pm

timinmo wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:55 pm
So consider this a "for what it is worth" comment. I have not fished the Vanford or the KageMQ but I have handled both. Things to think about, neither are made in Japan. There is a pretty good price difference. The Vanford 2500 has an "I" knob the KageMQ has a "T" knob. Both are very nice reels but neither comes close to the Certate. If I were buying and these were my choices I would probably buy the KageMQ as I really like what Daiwa has done on the spinning reel side the last few years but it would depend on my budget and whether I could get over the $100 or more price difference. If I could swing the Kage and could get a Certate for a little more, as somebody stated, I would sure go Certate. With all that said the Vanford feels great and I'm sure will give anyone years of service.
I would buy a close out CI4 Stradic if I wasn’t able to afford a Certate level reel.

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:54 pm

Hobey
That would be a great option. I didn't notice much difference between the CI4 and the Vanford.

ftl1951
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ftl1951 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:23 pm

So Tackle Warehouse has the Stradic Ci4 on sale for a really decent price. The Vanford is a bit more refined than the Stradic, but not sure it’s worth the difference in price. I have both and can tell there is a difference, but only in the slightest of feel. The addition of the redesigned spool, gearing and drag is a plus in the Vanford, but again, both the Stradic and Vanford are really nice reels. Either one should last you for quite awhile.

BTW, there is a really good comparison between the two reels on YouTube out of Australia. ...Vanford vs Stradic Ci4+

Velcro1124
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Velcro1124 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:22 pm

ftl1951 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:33 am
HobeyBaker wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:36 am
I’ll stick with the Certates. The Luvias didn’t really meet my expectation and this has to be a step down from a Luvias.
Agree. Certates can be found for roughly $350 and are absolutely fantastic. I’m sure this is another great reel with the MQ body, but none of the shops near me carry it. The Luvias are now made in China instead of Japan. I got two of the reels that were made in Japan earlier this year and these are really nice as well. I have a new Vanford and it is very smooth, but doesn’t match the Daiwa’s performance. My two favorite bass reels are the Certate, and the Shimano 17 Exsence. Both of these reels are just outstanding. Now don’t get me wrong. I will probably get a new Kage MQ in future, but for now, I’m still sourcing more Certates.
Where are you finding $350 Certates? Cheapest price I've found is $402.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:42 pm

I've been eyeing the certate 2500 but Shimano just updated the Exsence for this year....

ftl1951
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ftl1951 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:02 pm

jerkbait22 wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:42 pm
I've been eyeing the certate 2500 but Shimano just updated the Exsence for this year....
I have the current 17 Shimano Exsense and it is an absolutely wonderful reel. It is, however, more expensive than the Certate, ($445 from Japan vs $340 for the Certate) and it is difficult to tell the difference in performance, smoothness, and fishability. I am a real fan of the “Batman” look of the Exsense - just love it. The new version is going to be even more $$. If the dealers start to discount the 17 version, I will be hard pressed not to pick up a couple more.

As with most things, new reels will always be tweaked a little more to make it seem worth paying the extra cost that comes with the improvements. Daiwa is releasing a new Luvias Airity coming in at just over $500 from Japan. Many of the features and tech that is in the Exist at a more affordable (???) price point. This reel is coming out/released in February. The new Exsense supposedly releasing in April.

What the heck...just get one of each...lol.