So how are SV BOOST spools?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
SSS
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:38 pm

So how are SV BOOST spools?

Post by SSS » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:37 am

Just saw this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXNuUk7-N1E and it seems like its not overbraking like the standard SV spool?

Jbc88
Angler
Angler
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:18 pm

Re: So how are SV BOOST spools?

Post by Jbc88 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:15 pm

If you want that extra distance then the sv boost is for you. Im throwing my jerkbait lure with no hooks around the yard it can outcast my tatula elite reel.

User avatar
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2761
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am

Re: So how are SV BOOST spools?

Post by LowRange » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:33 pm

My money is on them not being pure distance monsters but more of a spool that cast pretty far effortlessly. This is the way my two ZPI knock off spools and what I hear the Tatula Elite is like. I doubt they will be anything like a TD Zillion HLC. If they can have that free and effortless casting of the ZPI spools but also can be cast hard to force more distance out of them when needed then I would be happy and have to have one.

Jbc88
Angler
Angler
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:18 pm

Re: So how are SV BOOST spools?

Post by Jbc88 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:23 pm

LowRange wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:33 pm
My money is on them not being pure distance monsters but more of a spool that cast pretty far effortlessly. This is the way my two ZPI knock off spools and what I hear the Tatula Elite is like. I doubt they will be anything like a TD Zillion HLC. If they can have that free and effortless casting of the ZPI spools but also can be cast hard to force more distance out of them when needed then I would be happy and have to have one.
I have a zpi spool for my steez sv tw and this sv boost outcast it easily. I like this spool better than the zpi spool.

User avatar
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 6263
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: So how are SV BOOST spools?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:57 pm

Jbc88 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:23 pm
LowRange wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:33 pm
My money is on them not being pure distance monsters but more of a spool that cast pretty far effortlessly. This is the way my two ZPI knock off spools and what I hear the Tatula Elite is like. I doubt they will be anything like a TD Zillion HLC. If they can have that free and effortless casting of the ZPI spools but also can be cast hard to force more distance out of them when needed then I would be happy and have to have one.
I have a zpi spool for my steez sv tw and this sv boost outcast it easily. I like this spool better than the zpi spool.
Which Zpi spool? Nrc001-m or PG?

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 868
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:57 pm
Location: Western Shore MD

Re: So how are SV BOOST spools?

Post by Houndfish » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:38 pm

Jbc88 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:23 pm
LowRange wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:33 pm
My money is on them not being pure distance monsters but more of a spool that cast pretty far effortlessly. This is the way my two ZPI knock off spools and what I hear the Tatula Elite is like. I doubt they will be anything like a TD Zillion HLC. If they can have that free and effortless casting of the ZPI spools but also can be cast hard to force more distance out of them when needed then I would be happy and have to have one.
I have a zpi spool for my steez sv tw and this sv boost outcast it easily. I like this spool better than the zpi spool.
That's good to hear as I only managed to get a single PG spool before they discontinued them.

Jbc88
Angler
Angler
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:18 pm

Re: So how are SV BOOST spools?

Post by Jbc88 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:03 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:57 pm
Jbc88 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:23 pm
LowRange wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:33 pm
My money is on them not being pure distance monsters but more of a spool that cast pretty far effortlessly. This is the way my two ZPI knock off spools and what I hear the Tatula Elite is like. I doubt they will be anything like a TD Zillion HLC. If they can have that free and effortless casting of the ZPI spools but also can be cast hard to force more distance out of them when needed then I would be happy and have to have one.
I have a zpi spool for my steez sv tw and this sv boost outcast it easily. I like this spool better than the zpi spool.
Which Zpi spool? Nrc001-m or PG?
Nrc001pg

User avatar
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 6263
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: So how are SV BOOST spools?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:08 am

Jbc88 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:03 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:57 pm
Jbc88 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:23 pm
LowRange wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:33 pm
My money is on them not being pure distance monsters but more of a spool that cast pretty far effortlessly. This is the way my two ZPI knock off spools and what I hear the Tatula Elite is like. I doubt they will be anything like a TD Zillion HLC. If they can have that free and effortless casting of the ZPI spools but also can be cast hard to force more distance out of them when needed then I would be happy and have to have one.
I have a zpi spool for my steez sv tw and this sv boost outcast it easily. I like this spool better than the zpi spool.
Which Zpi spool? Nrc001-m or PG?
Nrc001pg
What weights were you casting? Did you do side by sides, or comparing from memory? Once I get the reel, I plan to compare these spools on similar rods with the same baits and line... See if the claims are legit.

chrisg_sdcf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 679
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 6:27 pm

Re: So how are SV BOOST spools?

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:18 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:08 am
Jbc88 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:03 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:57 pm
Jbc88 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:23 pm
LowRange wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:33 pm
My money is on them not being pure distance monsters but more of a spool that cast pretty far effortlessly. This is the way my two ZPI knock off spools and what I hear the Tatula Elite is like. I doubt they will be anything like a TD Zillion HLC. If they can have that free and effortless casting of the ZPI spools but also can be cast hard to force more distance out of them when needed then I would be happy and have to have one.
I have a zpi spool for my steez sv tw and this sv boost outcast it easily. I like this spool better than the zpi spool.
Which Zpi spool? Nrc001-m or PG?
Nrc001pg
What weights were you casting? Did you do side by sides, or comparing from memory? Once I get the reel, I plan to compare these spools on similar rods with the same baits and line... See if the claims are legit.
Which one did you get?

Jbc88
Angler
Angler
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:18 pm

Re: So how are SV BOOST spools?

Post by Jbc88 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:20 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:08 am
Jbc88 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:03 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:57 pm
Jbc88 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:23 pm
LowRange wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:33 pm
My money is on them not being pure distance monsters but more of a spool that cast pretty far effortlessly. This is the way my two ZPI knock off spools and what I hear the Tatula Elite is like. I doubt they will be anything like a TD Zillion HLC. If they can have that free and effortless casting of the ZPI spools but also can be cast hard to force more distance out of them when needed then I would be happy and have to have one.
I have a zpi spool for my steez sv tw and this sv boost outcast it easily. I like this spool better than the zpi spool.
Which Zpi spool? Nrc001-m or PG?
Nrc001pg
What weights were you casting? Did you do side by sides, or comparing from memory? Once I get the reel, I plan to compare these spools on similar rods with the same baits and line... See if the claims are legit.
I used same rod which is the megabass p5 madbull and the lure im throwing is a 5/8 oz jerkbait with no hooks. Im a jerkbait person so thats my tester lure. I have bought so many different spools to try and by far this new sv boost is the best for distance. Im hoping down the road hedgehogstudios will sell the sv boost spool so i can grab a few.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1874
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: So how are SV BOOST spools?

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:23 am

Yeah I hope the SV Boost spools are compatible too. I assume they are; inductors don't look much different or move much differently... which SV Boost reel are you using?

Jbc88
Angler
Angler
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:18 pm

Re: So how are SV BOOST spools?

Post by Jbc88 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:43 am

So 54 yards is the distance im aiming for with jerkbait and so my experience with the sv spool is that it achieved that but with the sv boost spool it surpassed that with ease. I understand everyone is going to use it differently but for my use, im satisfy with the sv boost.
Jerkbait i use is duo realis 120
Megabass ito shiner

Hope this give you guys an idea of the sv boost.

User avatar
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2761
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am

Re: So how are SV BOOST spools?

Post by LowRange » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:58 am

Jbc88 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:23 pm
LowRange wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:33 pm
My money is on them not being pure distance monsters but more of a spool that cast pretty far effortlessly. This is the way my two ZPI knock off spools and what I hear the Tatula Elite is like. I doubt they will be anything like a TD Zillion HLC. If they can have that free and effortless casting of the ZPI spools but also can be cast hard to force more distance out of them when needed then I would be happy and have to have one.
I have a zpi spool for my steez sv tw and this sv boost outcast it easily. I like this spool better than the zpi spool.
Thats good. I wasn't really impressed with the max distance from my fixed inductor ZPI knock off spools. Cast too hard and they fluff up and then bringing the mag brake up makes them over brake at the end of the cast. They were best with lower mag settings and softer casts which is what I believe those that really like these spools consider a normal cast. Being a righty hand switcher that does not palm while casting I think my idea of a normal cast is a lot harder of a cast than some folk around here.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1669
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:51 pm

Re: So how are SV BOOST spools?

Post by Fishing4Fun » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:40 am

Jbc88 wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:43 am
So 54 yards is the distance im aiming for with jerkbait and so my experience with the sv spool is that it achieved that but with the sv boost spool it surpassed that with ease. I understand everyone is going to use it differently but for my use, im satisfy with the sv boost.
Jerkbait i use is duo realis 120
Megabass ito shiner

Hope this give you guys an idea of the sv boost.
Which reel was it again? 54 yards is incredible. Over half the football field. I am not sure I ever been able to cast a standard size Jerkbait any more than 30-40 yards max

User avatar
Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 980
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:00 pm
Location: North GA

Re: So how are SV BOOST spools?

Post by Cracker » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:20 am

Jbc88 wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:43 am
So 54 yards is the distance im aiming for with jerkbait and so my experience with the sv spool is that it achieved that but with the sv boost spool it surpassed that with ease. I understand everyone is going to use it differently but for my use, im satisfy with the sv boost.
Jerkbait i use is duo realis 120
Megabass ito shiner
Hope this give you guys an idea of the sv boost.
54 yards sounds as a great distance.
What line do you use? 10lb fluoro or braid?

P.S. I watched this video and from couple others Japan prostaffers, and haven't noticed any exceptional casting distance vs other reels. Wish THEREELTEST can put it against Met 2020.

Post Reply