So how are SV BOOST spools?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
4g63power
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: So how are SV BOOST spools?

Post by 4g63power » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:41 pm

Cracker wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:18 pm
Basseditor wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:48 pm
Will the Steez SV boost have the same spool as the Zillion SV Boost?
I found the Zillion spool has weight 13.4g
the Steez spool has 13.1g
Practically the same spools
Are they? From what i can see, steez spool has longer inductor than zillion spool, just like non boost version spools. Hopefully someone with both reels can confirm.

DATom
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by DATom » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:53 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:04 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:59 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:05 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:21 pm
Did anyone notice any differences with the main gear teeth or other?
Nothing is different, even the same part numbers. Turns out "hyper" is all hype.
A friend sent me a different Japanese YouTube video comparing the main gear teeth. One appears more U shaped, and the other more V shaped. It's hard to tell.
I honestly hope you're right, Mark. [-o<
The gears are different. It’s a different tooth design, not obvious at first.

STZ LTD SV TW1000H
http://www.sl-planets.co.jp/shop/p/p00630203/

58 ピニオン+ドライブギアセット (Pinion + Drive Gear set )138B64

STZ SV TW 1016SV-H
http://www.sl-planets.co.jp/shop/p/p00613352/

92 ピニオン+ドライブギアセット (Pinion + Drive Gear set )138883

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:44 pm

^^^^ Your links list the JDM versions of both reels. I hope that's the case for the new USDM model, as well. In the past, there have been differences on various models from the same family.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

amso4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by amso4 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:39 pm

Has anyone tried putting the new Boost spool into another reel for casting compatibility and performance? I just received the new Zillion from Amazon.co.jp and the boost spool fits in SS SV 103 and 105. Would it not work in those reels also? Sorry if its a dumb question, but before I gave it a shot I would ask.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:49 pm

DATom wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:53 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:04 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:59 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:05 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:21 pm
Did anyone notice any differences with the main gear teeth or other?
Nothing is different, even the same part numbers. Turns out "hyper" is all hype.
A friend sent me a different Japanese YouTube video comparing the main gear teeth. One appears more U shaped, and the other more V shaped. It's hard to tell.
I honestly hope you're right, Mark. [-o<
The gears are different. It’s a different tooth design, not obvious at first.

STZ LTD SV TW1000H
http://www.sl-planets.co.jp/shop/p/p00630203/

58 ピニオン+ドライブギアセット (Pinion + Drive Gear set )138B64

STZ SV TW 1016SV-H
http://www.sl-planets.co.jp/shop/p/p00613352/

92 ピニオン+ドライブギアセット (Pinion + Drive Gear set )138883
Nice find

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:43 am

I noticed when comparing my Alphas SV TW and Alphas AIR TW, the SV TW gears were toothed different than my AIR TW. The SV TW are brass vs aluminum from the AIR TW so, that is more of a variable than the Steez. The teeth are rounded more in the SV TW than the AIR. Bith are smooth. Havent uses the SV TW much so, cant speak on long term smoothness. SV has brass gears, aluminum gear sideplate and bearing supported pinion so...should be durable.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:38 pm

Certainly from the photos/videos I saw it is more a u-shaped gear tooth and a v-shaped one.

https://www.daiwa.com/jp/fishing/item/s ... eling.html
hyper.PNG
hyper.PNG (75.55 KiB) Viewed 3688 times

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:21 pm

i don't have any initial tests except for yard casting but it does cast exceptionally well long distance /w very good control.

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:01 am

y2k88 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:38 pm
Certainly from the photos/videos I saw it is more a u-shaped gear tooth and a v-shaped one.

https://www.daiwa.com/jp/fishing/item/s ... eling.html

hyper.PNG
This page has a very good breakdown of the features, translation is actually pretty decent.....much better and way more accurate to that one video that was talked about on here :lol:
Canadian arm to what is Megabass of America
Instagram @m.a.dufour

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:35 am

y2k88 wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:15 am
I think it was obvious from the youtube videos/pics already how the SV Boost works, but essentially 2 springs.

Schematic for reference
spoolassy.PNG
I think this sv BOOST can be swapped to standard sv brakes. But has anybody actually tried to swap BOOST parts?

A friend of mine says in his Steez ct is always too much brake, until hi adjusts Magforce to '2' and then it's way too little brake...

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:58 am

How does sv Boost brake actually work?

Is there any difference in inductor vs. standard sv inductor?

Or is the only difference between those two springs connected by plastic piece, resulting to progressive spring rate?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:41 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:58 am

Or is the only difference between those two springs connected by plastic piece, resulting to progressive spring rate?
Just appears to be a dual rate spring to create only brief full extension of the inductor. Hard casting of SV spools has a tendency to fully extend the inductor throughout the entire flight of the bait and this is especially true when at 50% or so on the mag dial to prevent early line fluff from this hard casting. The dual rate spring addresses this by using a stiff spring to allow full extension and a soft spring to enable partial extension. It essentially shortens the time the inductor is fully extended in SV spools.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:55 am

LowRange wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:41 am
jvelth74 wrote:

Just appears to be a dual rate spring to create only brief full extension of the inductor. Hard casting of SV spools has a tendency to fully extend the inductor throughout the entire flight of the bait and this is especially true when at 50% or so on the mag dial to prevent early line fluff from this hard casting. The dual rate spring addresses this by using a stiff spring to allow full extension and a soft spring to enable partial extension. It essentially shortens the time the inductor is fully extended in SV spools.
Thank you for that 🤗

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:05 pm

LowRange wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:41 am
jvelth74 wrote:

To add to this: the dual rate allows for some partial extension which is beneficial. Compare this to a single stiff spring like what is on the TD Zillion HLC spool and that spool can only be cast hard. Insufficient casting energy such as pitches, roll casts lob casts ect do not allow the inductor to extend and essentially don't brake at all. The TD Zillion HLC spool is basically unusable outside of placing the rod over your shoulder and casting as hard as you can. The softer spring in concert with the stiff spring in the boost spools allows for usable braking to occur at lower spool speeds and still have a distance tuned braking profile when hard casting.