Steez A deep cranks?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
NYBASSIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Steez A deep cranks?

Post by NYBASSIN » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:10 am

I want to buy a Steez A for deep cranking but I am stuck between the 5.3 and 6.3 gear ratio. I’ll be using cranks as large as the
Big M 7.0.

I would like more IPT than the 22” the 5.3 offers but I am concerned about cranking power if I go with the 6.3. I would like to hear everyone’s general thoughts about this. I would also like to hear if anyone has used the 6.3 Steez A for big deep cranks.

BIGBOY
Angler
Angler

Re: Steez A deep cranks?

Post by BIGBOY » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:35 am

I ignored the Steez A for the longest time and decided to try one back in September. I now own four of them as well as a Morethan. I quickly realized what I had been missing out on. I have always preferred an OG Zillion variant in 6.3 for deep cranks and while I haven’t spent a ton of time deep cranking with the Steez A, I will say that the 6.3 has plenty of power and will be my reel of choice for this technique. Curious to hear what others have say.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:41 am

Our Aussie members here are using them for 40# barrmundi, so the gears are certainly durable. I really want to try one, as well, but haven't got around to it.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:51 am

I've thrown the Big M 7.0 on the 6.3 Steez A, along with 1 oz spinner baits, and other larger, heavier resistance type baits without issue. The Steez A is a tank of a reel and the 6.3 has plenty of power for those kinds of applications. I do have the 5.3 as well that I use for slow crawling certain baits, but it really doesn't feel like it has significantly more torque than the 6.3.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:47 pm

I use my Steez A 5.3 for deep cranking and love it. I'll throw up to a 8xd with no problem. Haven't tried a 10xd as I don't have any
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon

Fran87
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Fran87 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:10 am

There are some guys who are using Steez A in order to throw swimbaits from 1-3oz...

Regards

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:37 am

Slightly unrelated, but my JDM XH version has plenty of power. Never fished huge cranks with it, but it feels very strong while fighting a fish and with lighter resistance baits. I feel like 5 speed reels will eventually phase out, 6 speed area (mid 20's IPT) has plenty of torque with newer technology and gears.

eklikewhoa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by eklikewhoa » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:18 am

I ran the 6 since they released for cranks and had to replace gears last year cause they were shredded.