Zona and Lews

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Zona and Lews

Post by toddmc » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:31 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:32 am
Whoring out your soul for the $ is the name of the game in the fishing industry. Look at Scott Martin and his new ride. :lol:
They love to beat everybody up on bassboatcentral. Scott has a few people hating on him for his move there. :D It's just business. His dad and him would sell paperclips if it kept them out there. :lol: They wear me out, but I still like them!
Last edited by toddmc on Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:58 am

Johnny A wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:47 am
smalljaw wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:22 am
Johnny A wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:34 am
Which begs the question, if all of these guys are “fishing on Daddy’s money” (another well known trope), why do they have to follow the highest $$$? :roll:

How many people turn down MORE money????
So what you’re telling me is men don’t mind the chains wrought by their own choices?
They're not really chains, though - what happens when the cameras are off stays hidden. Sure, it's hard to swap out your boat even when nobody is filming, but I'm sure they're fishing their confidence baits (which might not be part of the sponsored lineup) when they can (and you can cut around it when needed). So: more money, more marketing, but similar fishing experience.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:01 pm

I was in the "terminal tackle" mindset, btw. That can be changed. Rods and reels, not so much. But there is worse punishment than having to fish a Lews reel *while you're working*, TBH. Not my first choice ever, but I don't fish for a living :)

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:39 pm

Johnny A wrote:
smalljaw wrote:
Johnny A wrote:
Which begs the question, if all of these guys are “fishing on Daddy’s money” (another well known trope), why do they have to follow the highest $$$? :roll:

So what you’re telling me is men don’t mind the chains wrought by their own choices?
They are doing the same job as they did before but getting paid more. If you were offered more money to do the same job you are doing now would you turn it down?
Barlow's Tackle

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:44 pm

smalljaw wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:39 pm
Johnny A wrote:
smalljaw wrote:
Johnny A wrote:

They are doing the same job as they did before but getting paid more. If you were offered more money to do the same job you are doing now would you turn it down?
If they are being paid more now, that’s great for them. I don’t have a problem with people getting what they believe they are worth. It’s one thing to go from Quantum to Lew’s. Going from Daiwa to Lew’s, I’m thinking a WHOLE lotta cash better be moving!

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:02 pm

Johnny A wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:44 pm
Going from Daiwa to Lew’s, I’m thinking a WHOLE lotta cash better be moving!
as with Megabass to Enigma ;)

I know of a pro this past year that was given an ultimatum to move to Lew's from their current sponsor because he was part of the Strike King team at the time. He is now no longer with Strike King.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:27 pm

Cal wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:02 pm
Johnny A wrote:

I know of a pro this past year that was given an ultimatum to move to Lew's from their current sponsor because he was part of the Strike King team at the time. He is now no longer with Strike King.
Well now I’m just going to have to do a comparison of annual rosters. I used my example because the pro had I think 3 rods with his name on them.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:28 pm

I don’t think anyone should be wasting any brainpower trying to figure out why a large company would prefer their key advertisers using all of their brands.

...on the flip side I’m sure when Jordan got his Nike contract he had enough common sense to not wear Reebok to media day.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:46 pm

Cal wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:02 pm
Johnny A wrote:

If the sponsorship is just free product, I would think that 30 rods and reels is worth more than plastics, hardbaits, and terminal tackle for the year. I would rather keep seeing my name on a Daiwa fishing rod. I don't think Zona is necessarily as worthy as an accomplished tour pro when it comes to putting his name on a higher end fishing rod. Either way, my custom rods already have my name on them! :D Does anybody want to pay me to look at them? :crying:

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:51 pm

Johnny A wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:27 pm
Well now I’m just going to have to do a comparison of annual rosters. I used my example because the pro had I think 3 rods with his name on them.
Wouldn't be any fun if I just named names now would it? :lol:
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:13 pm

Cal wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:51 pm
Johnny A wrote:
Wouldn't be any fun if I just named names now would it? :lol: inquiring minds want to know 🤣
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:13 pm

Cal wrote:
Johnny A wrote:
I can’t expect that from you though, you have something at stake. You won’t get the top $$$ Scotch, first class air fare and chateau briande

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:18 pm

Cal wrote:
Johnny A wrote:
My guess is Cody Meyer, but his site doesn't have much on it.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:53 pm

Good one. I was thinking Faircloth maybe. Curious to know the answer :-k

481VSangler
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by 481VSangler » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:58 am

toddmc wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:31 am
LgMouthGambler wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:32 am
Whoring out your soul for the $ is the name of the game in the fishing industry. Look at Scott Martin and his new ride. :lol:
They love to beat everybody up on bassboatcentral. Scott has a few people hating on him for his move there. :D It's just business. His dad and him would sell paperclips if it kept them out there. :lol: They wear me out, but I still like them!
People complaining on BBC? Unpossible. :lol: Was just thinking that this explains Martin's Skeeter move though. Can't blame anyone for taking a better deal for doing the same "job". While the hawking does get kind of old, I still enjoy his videos. Nature of the beast and all that. I think jealousy plays a large role in the hate some love to dish out when it comes to stuff like this. I mean these guys are living the dream given what they do for a living. I know I'm kind of jealous. :lol: