Zona and Lews

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Basseditor
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: Zona and Lews

Post by Basseditor » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:06 am

How many of us have changed jobs because of higher pay — even if it is a lateral move?

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:02 pm

One man's "whoring out your soul for the $" is another man's "just trying to make a living". I don't have any significant insight into the financials of being a professional bass angler in the US, but my suspicion is that it's a life that requires serious dedication and passion because most likely, you're not going to get rich by doing it. So you can't fault anglers for striking better deals to finance their lives. (And some of these comments make me feel like these are rich greedy anglers constantly wanting "even more", when most of the time, it's anglers trying to get "enough".)

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:43 pm

toddmc wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:18 pm
Cal wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:51 pm
Johnny A wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:27 pm
Well now I’m just going to have to do a comparison of annual rosters. I used my example because the pro had I think 3 rods with his name on them.
Wouldn't be any fun if I just named names now would it? :lol:
My guess is Cody Meyer, but his site doesn't have much on it.
i watched the interview on bass 365 a couple of months ago, and figured out they were pressuring him to switch to lews. he was very professional in his responses though.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:00 pm

Let's face it guys we don't follow the herd and which pros uses what don't matter. I Godson told one of his friends that I had as good as equipment has the pros. I just laughed and thought I wish I could fish like them.

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:07 pm

Zona is my favorite TV Fishing personality. That being said I didn't care when he went from Shimano to Daiwa and I could care even less that he is now with Lew's. I don't like Lew's reels and that won't change no matter how hard Z pushes them. I agree with toddmc that the product pushing part of the fishing business is mind-numbing. ](*,)

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:23 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:58 am

They're not really chains, though - what happens when the cameras are off stays hidden. Sure, it's hard to swap out your boat even when nobody is filming, but I'm sure they're fishing their confidence baits (which might not be part of the sponsored lineup) when they can (and you can cut around it when needed). So: more money, more marketing, but similar fishing experience.
Sometimes it bubbles over - over on BBC they noticed on the last Cup show (Wisconsin Final) Andy Morgan did a segment with his 4 must have tied on baits - one was a "Strike King Thunder Cricket" - which was actually a Jackhammer. Another was a "Strike King Buzzbait", which had a black blade which is apparently not offered by Strike King. Then there was the "Strike King Jig" but it was so beat up it was hard to tell what brand it was - could have been Strike King, or maybe not...

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:46 am

Markanthony404 wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:07 pm
Zona is my favorite TV Fishing personality. That being said I didn't care when he went from Shimano to Daiwa and I could care even less that he is now with Lew's. I don't like Lew's reels and that won't change no matter how hard Z pushes them. I agree with toddmc that the product pushing part of the fishing business is mind-numbing. ](*,)
People should remember the PRO is not for proFESSIONAL, it’s for PROMOTIONAL. Their job is to promote the product.

rto
Angler
Angler

Post by rto » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:36 am

CFDoc wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:47 pm
I really would love to see the research marketing analytics on whether or not Lews is seeing returns on grabbing every angler under the sun for their pro staff.

BLat
Swindle
KVD
Upshaw
Castledine
Montgomery
Zona

I mean, who is left? And does it really make a difference in sales?
Swindle was on LD's YT channel last week. Claims he never signed with Lew's, just gave them a spin. He signed with 13 last week.

21 min mark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geJRnAPbNHU