Zona and Lews

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Zona and Lews

Post by jwfflipper14 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:07 pm

I see mark zona using lew's now
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Zona and Lews

Post by iabass8 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:40 pm

The McChicken is no longer 1$

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:28 pm

iabass8 wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:40 pm
It was really infuriating when it happened to double cheese and now mcchicken?!?!

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:45 pm

rando wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:28 pm
iabass8 wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:40 pm
It was really infuriating when it happened to double cheese and now mcchicken?!?!
What is even more infuriating...back in college 10-13 years ago, I asked the fine young drive through attendant to make me a Big mac but use the mcchicken things instead of the beef patties(super...super not sober)...he did so...and now it's a F$#$ing secret item / hidden item menu purchase and I get zero royalties. I could have bought a lot of steez reels /w the mcroyalties .

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:14 pm

jwfflipper14 wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:07 pm
I see mark zona using lew's now
Whoring to the highest bidder. It happens to every one of those industry guys before they're done. Hank Parker was Abu for 40 yrs, then went to Lew's, as did KVD. Bottom line, it comes down to the bottom line.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:42 pm

Obviously the Strike King connection. Happened a lot this past year.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:47 pm

I really would love to see the research marketing analytics on whether or not Lews is seeing returns on grabbing every angler under the sun for their pro staff.

BLat
Swindle
KVD
Upshaw
Castledine
Montgomery
Zona

I mean, who is left? And does it really make a difference in sales?

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:37 pm

TravisNY wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:42 pm
Obviously the Strike King connection. Happened a lot this past year.
Yup.... Strike King and Lew's have the same parent company so it seems if you're sponsored by one or the other, you now pretty much have to be with both or you have to move on. There's some connection with Ranger too which is why you may notice a bunch of pros leaving Ranger this coming season.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:48 pm

Luke Dunkin talks about the Pure Fishing, Bass Pro, etc. ‘line in the sand’ approach to sponsors in a recent podcast.

Basically, what you’re insinuating is correct. BPS, pure fishing, etc. have basically said if you want a sponsorship from us, you cannot have a competitor anywhere on your jersey.

Considering these ‘umbrella’ companies have rods, reels, baits, storage, terminal tackle, etc. all under one parent, you cannot mix and match.

Ranger is now Bass Pro so same thing applies.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:39 pm

I think most of us people that are hard core fishermen haven't cared for a long time who fishes what. The product pushing part of the fishing business is mind-numbing. It takes a lot of the fun out of fishing shows, like Zona's, when you see them whore out whatever is next. I like to see brands/fishermen stay together, even if I don't use their product. I like it even more when privateer guys like Steve Kennedy try to go it on their own and prove that their fishing ability, and not their sales ability, is what feeds their family. I'm just glad that I don't have to be a salesman to stay on tour or to keep my show on the air.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:15 pm

toddmc wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:39 pm
I think most of us people that are hard core fishermen haven't cared for a long time who fishes what. The product pushing part of the fishing business is mind-numbing. It takes a lot of the fun out of fishing shows, like Zona's, when you see them whore out whatever is next. I like to see brands/fishermen stay together, even if I don't use their product. I like it even more when privateer guys like Steve Kennedy try to go it on their own and prove that their fishing ability, and not their sales ability, is what feeds their family. I'm just glad that I don't have to be a salesman to stay on tour or to keep my show on the air.
Agreed 100%. While I have my preferences, whoever else deciding to fish whatever else gear is cool with me. That's what makes this sport so great. We can choose our own path forward. Some guys choose $300 swimbaits and gear more suited to musky, while other go the UL route for those same bass, that's just great imho.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:34 am

Which begs the question, if all of these guys are “fishing on Daddy’s money” (another well known trope), why do they have to follow the highest $$$? :roll:

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:22 am

Johnny A wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:34 am
Which begs the question, if all of these guys are “fishing on Daddy’s money” (another well known trope), why do they have to follow the highest $$$? :roll:

How many people turn down MORE money????
Barlow's Tackle

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:47 am

smalljaw wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:22 am
Johnny A wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:34 am

How many people turn down MORE money????
So what you’re telling me is men don’t mind the chains wrought by their own choices?

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:32 am

Whoring out your soul for the $ is the name of the game in the fishing industry. Look at Scott Martin and his new ride. :lol:
<")))><{