Nice BC reel for Casting 1/4-1/2oz baits LONG DISTANCE

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
thevid
Angler
Angler
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:55 am

Re: Nice BC reel for Casting 1/4-1/2oz baits LONG DISTANCE

Post by thevid » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:20 am

Drakestar wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:38 pm
thevid wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:32 pm
Drakestar wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:08 am
In my experience, Antares 70 is your best (albeit very expensive) options indeed. I use it to cast a ton of 3/8oz baits.

I got a Chronarch MGL on my Xtasy 754 for 1/8oz and 3/16oz t-rigs with stick baits and it works well. My go-to worm is a bit lighter than a senko (around 0.32oz), so the full weight is similar to a weightless senko.

(Looks good, too. See viewtopic.php?f=46&t=83848&p=677156)
How would you compare the Curado 70 to
The Chronarch MGL? Those both are a bit more in range. Although I could stomach something like
The Bantam MGL too. I will be using light line, 8-10lb fluoro.

#1 priority is casting distance
#2 is drag.

The other option I hear is great for distance is the Tatula Elite. Would love to hear your take on casting distance with the Curado 70 vs Chronarch, if spool capacity is no issue.
Unfortunately I haven’t made apples to apples comparisons. My Curado 70 MGL is on a GLX 843. Great reel, feels solid, great 3/8oz caster. But I mostly use that combo for pond hopping, which might ask for long casts quite often, but on a 7 foot rod. The Chronarch benefits from that longer 7’5” rod, and I use that combo for long-distance bank fishing. Can’t remember a time I had both rods with me at the same time, doing similar casts.

I did have a pre-MGL Curado on that Xtasy 754 initially, and it cast well (I had just regreased that Curado 70 with ZPI Medium to be fair). But the 70 felt a bit undersized. Both on actual size and in line capacity (I never came close to spooling it, but the reel did go down to 1/2 capacity on long casts). I expect that the 753 is a bit daintier, but I think I’d prefer the Chronarch still. It’s lighter and fits the rod better. Never had issues with drag, and I pulled some fish out of heavy, heavy grass with it.

Dunno about the Tatula Elite; I had one on the rod at the dealer and it “fit” well, but I didn’t get to cast it. The Bantam is more of a heavy-duty reel to me. Cranking in particular.
Thank you! When I reference drag, I more so mean smoothness and effectiveness, as I’ll be using 7-8lb fluoro. This will be a “finesse” setup pretty much although still on the heavier side with it being a senko. I’ve even been on the fence of dropping down to the 742 Extreme, wish they offered an extant 2 power BC.

I truly appreciate your help. Definitely
Have some decisions to make

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4605
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Re: Nice BC reel for Casting 1/4-1/2oz baits LONG DISTANCE

Post by goldrod » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:12 am

thevid wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:20 am
Drakestar wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:38 pm
thevid wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:32 pm
Drakestar wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:08 am
In my experience, Antares 70 is your best (albeit very expensive) options indeed. I use it to cast a ton of 3/8oz baits.

I got a Chronarch MGL on my Xtasy 754 for 1/8oz and 3/16oz t-rigs with stick baits and it works well. My go-to worm is a bit lighter than a senko (around 0.32oz), so the full weight is similar to a weightless senko.

(Looks good, too. See viewtopic.php?f=46&t=83848&p=677156)
How would you compare the Curado 70 to
The Chronarch MGL? Those both are a bit more in range. Although I could stomach something like
The Bantam MGL too. I will be using light line, 8-10lb fluoro.

#1 priority is casting distance
#2 is drag.

The other option I hear is great for distance is the Tatula Elite. Would love to hear your take on casting distance with the Curado 70 vs Chronarch, if spool capacity is no issue.
Unfortunately I haven’t made apples to apples comparisons. My Curado 70 MGL is on a GLX 843. Great reel, feels solid, great 3/8oz caster. But I mostly use that combo for pond hopping, which might ask for long casts quite often, but on a 7 foot rod. The Chronarch benefits from that longer 7’5” rod, and I use that combo for long-distance bank fishing. Can’t remember a time I had both rods with me at the same time, doing similar casts.

I did have a pre-MGL Curado on that Xtasy 754 initially, and it cast well (I had just regreased that Curado 70 with ZPI Medium to be fair). But the 70 felt a bit undersized. Both on actual size and in line capacity (I never came close to spooling it, but the reel did go down to 1/2 capacity on long casts). I expect that the 753 is a bit daintier, but I think I’d prefer the Chronarch still. It’s lighter and fits the rod better. Never had issues with drag, and I pulled some fish out of heavy, heavy grass with it.

Dunno about the Tatula Elite; I had one on the rod at the dealer and it “fit” well, but I didn’t get to cast it. The Bantam is more of a heavy-duty reel to me. Cranking in particular.
Thank you! When I reference drag, I more so mean smoothness and effectiveness, as I’ll be using 7-8lb fluoro. This will be a “finesse” setup pretty much although still on the heavier side with it being a senko. I’ve even been on the fence of dropping down to the 742 Extreme, wish they offered an extant 2 power BC.

I truly appreciate your help. Definitely
Have some decisions to make

The Antares 70 may cost a bit more than you’re wanting to spend but when you get it you will be extremely happy that you did. No pressure though
Your Actions Make History and Your history makes your legacy

Instagram is @1ncetime

Drakestar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 365
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:54 am

Re: Nice BC reel for Casting 1/4-1/2oz baits LONG DISTANCE

Post by Drakestar » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:09 am

thevid wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:20 am
Thank you! When I reference drag, I more so mean smoothness and effectiveness, as I’ll be using 7-8lb fluoro. This will be a “finesse” setup pretty much although still on the heavier side with it being a senko. I’ve even been on the fence of dropping down to the 742 Extreme, wish they offered an extant 2 power BC.

I truly appreciate your help. Definitely
Have some decisions to make
Ah, drag smoothness, not max drag. Not sure on that one TBH because the weakest straight fluoro I run on my BCs is 10lbs (on an Aldebaran). When I need a supper smooth, shock-absorbing drag I typically go to spinning reels.

I've never had problems, but I find BC drag hard to judge (partially because there typically isn't a clicker). Maybe somebody else can chime in on how well these reels do.

User avatar
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 6263
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: Nice BC reel for Casting 1/4-1/2oz baits LONG DISTANCE

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:05 pm

thevid wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:24 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:32 pm
The new Zillion is in your price range, and should be an excellent performer. I enjoy using my 15 Shimano Metanium DC for half ounce baits, though I may sell it to grab the new Zillion. The 1st generation Steez SV TW is also a great caster. These would be my recommendations unless you have the desire to start spool swapping.
I’m assuming you’re speaking about the brand new 2021 one? Looks like $358 from Japan Tackle? I can definitely
Swing that, my only question would be, is this reel coming to the states soon? Any idea when TW or something would
Carry it?
No idea bud. Some people think that it will, but I'm not sure.

thevid
Angler
Angler
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:55 am

Re: Nice BC reel for Casting 1/4-1/2oz baits LONG DISTANCE

Post by thevid » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:04 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:09 am
thevid wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:20 am
Thank you! When I reference drag, I more so mean smoothness and effectiveness, as I’ll be using 7-8lb fluoro. This will be a “finesse” setup pretty much although still on the heavier side with it being a senko. I’ve even been on the fence of dropping down to the 742 Extreme, wish they offered an extant 2 power BC.

I truly appreciate your help. Definitely
Have some decisions to make
Ah, drag smoothness, not max drag. Not sure on that one TBH because the weakest straight fluoro I run on my BCs is 10lbs (on an Aldebaran). When I need a supper smooth, shock-absorbing drag I typically go to spinning reels.

I've never had problems, but I find BC drag hard to judge (partially because there typically isn't a clicker). Maybe somebody else can chime in on how well these reels do.
Yeah, not the typical concern with baitcasting gear. I too usually go spinning, but I’m hoping to start using a BC setup to get a noticeable gain in distance. With how well my Daiwa LTD casts a 1/16oz ned head and 3” trd, I am hoping I can get some greater distance on Senkos that spinning reels
Have not helped me get with straight fluoro.

anteman
Angler
Angler
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:06 am

Re: Nice BC reel for Casting 1/4-1/2oz baits LONG DISTANCE

Post by anteman » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:33 am

First, I'm not sure if a BC over a spinning reel is the overall best choice for distance with weightless 5-6" senkos. I bet those baits catch wind and I wonder how, say a small Shimano SVS Infinity braked reel handles that with some head wind?

Not trying to bash, I'm asking cos I haven't tried one and I fish in changing, windy conditions. I have a T3 with and SV-spool and I like a lot. Some say that some SV-spools/reels (not my SLPW 1012 though) are rather PO-safe but "over-braked" and will impede distance whereas Shimano deliver better distance with more compact baits but can be a bit touchy going from one bait to another in changing (head-) winds...

I suppose some would agree to that rough summation and others would not. And "It depends" as we say at work...you know, rod, line, bait, technique, skills and to each their own. Well, for my 3/8 - 3/4 oz baits I went with the New 2021 Zillion 1000 SV TW (SV-boost!), expected delivery from Japan in two days! :)

thevid
Angler
Angler
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:55 am

Re: Nice BC reel for Casting 1/4-1/2oz baits LONG DISTANCE

Post by thevid » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:56 am

anteman wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:33 am
First, I'm not sure if a BC over a spinning reel is the overall best choice for distance with weightless 5-6" senkos. I bet those baits catch wind and I wonder how, say a small Shimano SVS Infinity braked reel handles that with some head wind?

Not trying to bash, I'm asking cos I haven't tried one and I fish in changing, windy conditions. I have a T3 with and SV-spool and I like a lot. Some say that some SV-spools/reels (not my SLPW 1012 though) are rather PO-safe but "over-braked" and will impede distance whereas Shimano deliver better distance with more compact baits but can be a bit touchy going from one bait to another in changing (head-) winds...

I suppose some would agree to that rough summation and others would not. And "It depends" as we say at work...you know, rod, line, bait, technique, skills and to each their own. Well, for my 3/8 - 3/4 oz baits I went with the New 2021 Zillion 1000 SV TW (SV-boost!), expected delivery from Japan in two days! :)
It’s tough, there’s times one will certainly be better than the other. However after seeing how far I can cast a 1/16oz with 3” TRD worm on BC gear, compared to a much heavier 5” nail weighted senko .... If I can find something that can cast that Senko comparable to how that SV LTD casts the ned rig, there would be some huge advantages.

Spinning gear with fluorocarbon just doesn’t come off the spool nearly as well, unless I go down to 5lb.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4605
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Re: Nice BC reel for Casting 1/4-1/2oz baits LONG DISTANCE

Post by goldrod » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:29 pm

thevid wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:56 am
anteman wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:33 am
First, I'm not sure if a BC over a spinning reel is the overall best choice for distance with weightless 5-6" senkos. I bet those baits catch wind and I wonder how, say a small Shimano SVS Infinity braked reel handles that with some head wind?

Not trying to bash, I'm asking cos I haven't tried one and I fish in changing, windy conditions. I have a T3 with and SV-spool and I like a lot. Some say that some SV-spools/reels (not my SLPW 1012 though) are rather PO-safe but "over-braked" and will impede distance whereas Shimano deliver better distance with more compact baits but can be a bit touchy going from one bait to another in changing (head-) winds...

I suppose some would agree to that rough summation and others would not. And "It depends" as we say at work...you know, rod, line, bait, technique, skills and to each their own. Well, for my 3/8 - 3/4 oz baits I went with the New 2021 Zillion 1000 SV TW (SV-boost!), expected delivery from Japan in two days! :)
It’s tough, there’s times one will certainly be better than the other. However after seeing how far I can cast a 1/16oz with 3” TRD worm on BC gear, compared to a much heavier 5” nail weighted senko .... If I can find something that can cast that Senko comparable to how that SV LTD casts the ned rig, there would be some huge advantages.

Spinning gear with fluorocarbon just doesn’t come off the spool nearly as well, unless I go down to 5lb.

Just a thought but the way one cast with a spinning rod is not the same as a casting rod. I can surely get a two hand swing on a casting but not the same with the spinning rod. The Power than I’m imputing is just different thus the distance has to be as well
Your Actions Make History and Your history makes your legacy

Instagram is @1ncetime

User avatar
TravisNY
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 186
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:07 pm
Location: WV

Re: Nice BC reel for Casting 1/4-1/2oz baits LONG DISTANCE

Post by TravisNY » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:53 pm

A 2 3/4” TRD (out of the pack with no salt leached out) plus 1/16 is pretty darn heavy (to me) but more importantly compact/aerodynamic.

I guarantee that you can find numerous spinning combos that would put a 5” nail weighted Senko into another zip code doing so. Two handed as well if one chooses. IE smallmouth heavy tube rods (clear the launching pad). I would suggest braid. My .02.

Happy shopping

thevid
Angler
Angler
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:55 am

Re: Nice BC reel for Casting 1/4-1/2oz baits LONG DISTANCE

Post by thevid » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:08 pm

TravisNY wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:53 pm
A 2 3/4” TRD (out of the pack with no salt leached out) plus 1/16 is pretty darn heavy (to me) but more importantly compact/aerodynamic.

I guarantee that you can find numerous spinning combos that would put a 5” nail weighted Senko into another zip code doing so. Two handed as well if one chooses. IE smallmouth heavy tube rods (clear the launching pad). I would suggest braid. My .02.

Happy shopping
Braid and Senkos do not mix well. Having caught countless 7-12lb largemouth and spotted bass up to 8lbs, fluorocarbon is all I will use for this technique unfortunately. I’d be all ears listening to suggestions on a rod stout enough to handle 5-6” Senkos, that still launch a senko a mile, with 7lb fluoro.

Baitcasters have an edge with fluoro. Trust me, I much prefer the drag of a spinning reel for light line, I’d love to find a spinning reel that is not ass affected by fluorocarbon and rod power. I’d be all ears if you had suggestions on a certain spinning reel and 7’4 or longer stout enough spinning rod that you think could compare to the distance of a baitcasting setup for the given techniques.

Jbc88
Angler
Angler
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:18 pm

Re: Nice BC reel for Casting 1/4-1/2oz baits LONG DISTANCE

Post by Jbc88 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:39 am

anteman wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:33 am
First, I'm not sure if a BC over a spinning reel is the overall best choice for distance with weightless 5-6" senkos. I bet those baits catch wind and I wonder how, say a small Shimano SVS Infinity braked reel handles that with some head wind?

Not trying to bash, I'm asking cos I haven't tried one and I fish in changing, windy conditions. I have a T3 with and SV-spool and I like a lot. Some say that some SV-spools/reels (not my SLPW 1012 though) are rather PO-safe but "over-braked" and will impede distance whereas Shimano deliver better distance with more compact baits but can be a bit touchy going from one bait to another in changing (head-) winds...

I suppose some would agree to that rough summation and others would not. And "It depends" as we say at work...you know, rod, line, bait, technique, skills and to each their own. Well, for my 3/8 - 3/4 oz baits I went with the New 2021 Zillion 1000 SV TW (SV-boost!), expected delivery from Japan in two days! :)
The zillion is by far the best baitcaster for distance in my collections. Like you said, depends on what the person is aiming for. My setups are mainly for jerkbait and it doesnt dissapoint. It will surprise you cause now i have the 5,6,7 and 8 gear ratio zillion added to my collection 😅

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1674
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:51 pm

Re: Nice BC reel for Casting 1/4-1/2oz baits LONG DISTANCE

Post by Fishing4Fun » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:31 am

Jbc88 wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:39 am
anteman wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:33 am
First, I'm not sure if a BC over a spinning reel is the overall best choice for distance with weightless 5-6" senkos. I bet those baits catch wind and I wonder how, say a small Shimano SVS Infinity braked reel handles that with some head wind?

Not trying to bash, I'm asking cos I haven't tried one and I fish in changing, windy conditions. I have a T3 with and SV-spool and I like a lot. Some say that some SV-spools/reels (not my SLPW 1012 though) are rather PO-safe but "over-braked" and will impede distance whereas Shimano deliver better distance with more compact baits but can be a bit touchy going from one bait to another in changing (head-) winds...

I suppose some would agree to that rough summation and others would not. And "It depends" as we say at work...you know, rod, line, bait, technique, skills and to each their own. Well, for my 3/8 - 3/4 oz baits I went with the New 2021 Zillion 1000 SV TW (SV-boost!), expected delivery from Japan in two days! :)
The zillion is by far the best baitcaster for distance in my collections. Like you said, depends on what the person is aiming for. My setups are mainly for jerkbait and it doesnt dissapoint. It will surprise you cause now i have the 5,6,7 and 8 gear ratio zillion added to my collection 😅
To be clear when you say Zillion you are referring to the new Zillion in its stock form? You would also say it casts a Jerkbait really well? What weight Jerkbait or what model are you throwing?

Jbc88
Angler
Angler
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:18 pm

Re: Nice BC reel for Casting 1/4-1/2oz baits LONG DISTANCE

Post by Jbc88 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:42 am

Fishing4Fun wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:31 am
Jbc88 wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:39 am
anteman wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:33 am
First, I'm not sure if a BC over a spinning reel is the overall best choice for distance with weightless 5-6" senkos. I bet those baits catch wind and I wonder how, say a small Shimano SVS Infinity braked reel handles that with some head wind?

Not trying to bash, I'm asking cos I haven't tried one and I fish in changing, windy conditions. I have a T3 with and SV-spool and I like a lot. Some say that some SV-spools/reels (not my SLPW 1012 though) are rather PO-safe but "over-braked" and will impede distance whereas Shimano deliver better distance with more compact baits but can be a bit touchy going from one bait to another in changing (head-) winds...

I suppose some would agree to that rough summation and others would not. And "It depends" as we say at work...you know, rod, line, bait, technique, skills and to each their own. Well, for my 3/8 - 3/4 oz baits I went with the New 2021 Zillion 1000 SV TW (SV-boost!), expected delivery from Japan in two days! :)
The zillion is by far the best baitcaster for distance in my collections. Like you said, depends on what the person is aiming for. My setups are mainly for jerkbait and it doesnt dissapoint. It will surprise you cause now i have the 5,6,7 and 8 gear ratio zillion added to my collection 😅
To be clear when you say Zillion you are referring to the new Zillion in its stock form? You would also say it casts a Jerkbait really well? What weight Jerkbait or what model are you throwing?
Yes, its the 2021 zillion stock form. Usually the transfer weight system jerkbaits are the best for me. I used the duo realis 120 and my buddy uses the megabass ito shiner. The duo realis is 5/8 oz and the ito is 1/2 oz. I use it on 30 lb ygk soul braid with a 13 lb fluro leader.

anteman
Angler
Angler
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:06 am

Re: Nice BC reel for Casting 1/4-1/2oz baits LONG DISTANCE

Post by anteman » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:04 pm

@Jbc88 Gee, four of them, I must be in for a treat! :) Can't wait to get mine out on the water!

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1674
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:51 pm

Re: Nice BC reel for Casting 1/4-1/2oz baits LONG DISTANCE

Post by Fishing4Fun » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:04 pm

Thanks for the clarification. :D

Post Reply