New Steez A TW HLC

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: New Steez A TW HLC

Post by HobeyBaker » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:28 am

Does this reel have brass gears or are they aluminum like the regular Steez A? Do you think this reel is a good selection for Alabama rigs? Will this reel fit a regular Steez A spool?

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:24 am

HobeyBaker wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:28 am
Does this reel have brass gears or are they aluminum like the regular Steez A? Do you think this reel is a good selection for Alabama rigs? Will this reel fit a regular Steez A spool?
Since this reel has a 36mm diameter spool, the regular Steez A spool (and other 34mm spools) will fit, but have 1mm of gap around the edge of the spool where line can get easily caught.

I would be shocked if the spool from this reel doesn't work in an OG Zillion with anything more than minor modification of shims or possibly bearing swaps.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:53 pm

HobeyBaker wrote:
I remember reading that it's aluminum, but I haven't opened it up yet. Seeing how it's almost exactly the same weight as my 7.1 Morethan (which has aluminum gears) I'm inclined to believe it.

That Morethan 34mm spool fit, but I didn't try to make any casts.

I'm not sure I'd want to throw a-rigs on this reel. It can do it in terms of spool size and lure rating, but as an HLC spool it has 4x the brake springs and supposedly spins twice as fast as a regular reel. Making it awesome for bombing compact baits (3/4oz tubes, lipless etc. are ridiculous on it), but problematic for baits with a lot of air resistance. They slow down quickly while the spool is going a million miles a minute, and backlashes are more likely.

I've been able to throw weedless underspins (Flashy Swimmer + 4.8 Keitech) on it, as well as 130-size jerkbaits, but it takes a bunch of fiddling with the spool tension. I'm sure you'd be able to dial in an a-rig, as well, but I'm not sure you'll get that extra casting distance over a regular reel.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:39 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:53 pm
HobeyBaker wrote:
I remember reading that it's aluminum, but I haven't opened it up yet. Seeing how it's almost exactly the same weight as my 7.1 Morethan (which has aluminum gears) I'm inclined to believe it.

That Morethan 34mm spool fit, but I didn't try to make any casts.

I'm not sure I'd want to throw a-rigs on this reel. It can do it in terms of spool size and lure rating, but as an HLC spool it has 4x the brake springs and supposedly spins twice as fast as a regular reel. Making it awesome for bombing compact baits (3/4oz tubes, lipless etc. are ridiculous on it), but problematic for baits with a lot of air resistance. They slow down quickly while the spool is going a million miles a minute, and backlashes are more likely.

I've been able to throw weedless underspins (Flashy Swimmer + 4.8 Keitech) on it, as well as 130-size jerkbaits, but it takes a bunch of fiddling with the spool tension. I'm sure you'd be able to dial in an a-rig, as well, but I'm not sure you'll get that extra casting distance over a regular reel.
Thanks. I ended up ordering another Zillion and will put the reel on my jerkbait rod. I'll move the Tatula Elite on that rod to the Alabama rig rod. I think it will hold up better because of the brass gears.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:04 pm

My TD Zillion HLC spool is pretty much frog duty only and that thing will dump all of its 65# braid no backer without even trying. Wouldn't even think about throwing an A rig on it.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:43 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:42 am
iabass8 wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:54 pm
i demand to know if this spool fits in an OG zillion. I will be at the head of the picket line!
X2!
Aliexpress spools for OG Zillions fit perfectly in the new Steez A Hlc. Can supply photos if needed.
Cheers Michael

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:35 am

With 0.20 mm J-Braid x8 on a DIY TD Zillion 100 spool weighing 6.5/7.8g without/with bearing.
Tried it for fun on an “old” St Croix Legend Gulf Coast “BFS” rod 🤗 Threw a 1/4 oz (7g) plug pretty darn far. Have put 14lb mono on stock spool. Will be used for atlantic salmon in slow flowing streams/rivers.
Attachments
EF5433C6-E3F8-4398-A850-0EFC83D6537F.jpeg
EF5433C6-E3F8-4398-A850-0EFC83D6537F.jpeg (68.54 KiB) Viewed 4163 times

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:35 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:35 am
With 0.20 mm J-Braid x8 on a DIY TD Zillion 100 spool weighing 6.5/7.8g without/with bearing.
Tried it for fun on an “old” St Croix Legend Gulf Coast “BFS” rod 🤗 Threw a 1/4 oz (7g) plug pretty darn far. Have put 14lb mono on stock spool. Will be used for atlantic salmon in slow flowing streams/rivers.
Which legend gulf coast is that?

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:06 pm

doomtrprz71 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:35 pm
Dalleinf wrote:
The LGCC70MLM.
Also have the 66XLM.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:47 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:06 pm
doomtrprz71 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:35 pm
Dalleinf wrote:
The LGCC70MLM.
Also have the 66XLM.
I thought that's what it was, I broke mine last year and I'm curious what st croix will replace it with, that's the perfect speckled trout rod.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:45 am

4g63power wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:11 pm
Dalleinf wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:47 pm
4g63power wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:40 pm
It has shorter and stiffer inductor to help you get more distance with full swing cast, lure/rigs that are on the heavier side and aerodynamic to see the real difference.
I agree with you. Personal bad experiences makes me add that you will also see the real difference (vs. SV spools) if you go with lighter less aerodynamic lures 🤣
Lol years ago i picked up an og zillion hlc without knowing much about it. First time out, paired with M rod and 5 inch senko tied on, should have seen my face after the first cast :shock: :lol:
:D I found it difficult to cast even with seatrout spoon to headwind :D

I was already casting semihard, Magforce at max setting, and slight line rise from spool in every cast. Which made me thumb braking. I was thinking to cast as hard as I could and let see what would be happen, but didn't have balls enough.

...But it's nice reel to cast bombarda + fly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But new steez A HLC:

So Steez A TW HLC has Mag-Z Boost spool, and there's purple inductor in here, probably similar to former HLC reels / Spools.

Anyone knows is there another 'special' properties in spool, like two springs similar to Magforce sv Boost has, or does it just have 'old school' stiff HLC spring?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:58 pm

I would assume it has two springs based on the boost name but it could have one.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:28 pm

Talked with my Japanese buddy about this reel a bit.

Apparently this reel gets fairly bad reviews in Japan. Lots of anglers there are complaining that this reel doesnt perform well, since the breaking system is very finicky with lighter lures.

Not sure what this info is worth, but thought I would share.
Last edited by freelancer27 on Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:44 pm

I'm convinced the Japanese can't handle casting reels like we do in the US. Look how many TD Zillion spools end up for sale over there. I love mine. Got get that hand off the reel when casting, free up that wrist and grab onto the rod when casting and give it the ol wrist snap at the end like you're cracking a whip. Here in the US we call that a normal cast. Baits just bomb and spools empty. Can't wait for these to show up on the used market for cheap.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:11 pm

In my opinion 36 mm Hyper Long Cast tuned spool can't be good with light lures, like smaller spools can be.

But I'm thinking to buy this HLC Steez.