Possible to clean corrosion on gears?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
MeatHead
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Possible to clean corrosion on gears?

Post by MeatHead » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:37 am

Hi all. New to the forum and also doing my own maintenance on ny reels. Pulled my Daiwa Coastal sv tw apart this morning to give it a clean before re-spooling and found the gears have some corrosion on them and basically devoid of any grease. I've only used it a handful of times fishing for redfish and flounder in South Louisiana, but I bought it in 2019 so out of warranty. Is it possible for me to clean the corrosion off with no issues? I've got Cals grease and TSI 321 oil for the gears and bearings once everything's cleaned up. Thanks in advance for any info.
Last edited by MeatHead on Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Possible to clean corrosion on gears?

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:46 am

You can polish them back to normal, but you are removing material and that can cause problems in the long run, and the tarnish will be back in no time. Just how it is with brass gears. As long as the tarnish is not under the drag washers(gears are usually still spotless under the drag washers) there should be no issues.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:03 am

Use Brass-o and an old toothbrush to remove the current corrosion. Then clean the gears thoroughly with acetone(91% isopropyl alcohol works, also). Make sure to coat the entire gear with thin coat of a thicker grease that will stay put, not just the teeth. I use Cal's tan grease for this, but lower-unit outboard grease works well, also. This will mitigate further corrosion.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:31 am

Soak the gears in white vinegar. It neutralizes the salt. Here's some parts from a '77 Abu 4500C I did for a saltwater fisherman in Texas. I let the parts soak for about 20 minutes.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:44 am

tincanary wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:31 am
Soak the gears in white vinegar. It neutralizes the salt. Here's some parts from a '77 Abu 4500C I did for a saltwater fisherman in Texas. I let the parts soak for about 20 minutes.

Nice work.

eyra_kid
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by eyra_kid » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:22 pm

That old Abu looks good! I will have to remember the whte vinegar.

MeatHead
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MeatHead » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:43 am

Thanks for the info everyone. I have another Coastal I got for Christmas that I haven't used yet, going to open that one up to check the grease and lube up if needed.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:01 am

MeatHead wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:43 am
Thanks for the info everyone. I have another Coastal I got for Christmas that I haven't used yet, going to open that one up to check the grease and lube up if needed.
Just a question from someone who fished the salt many years ago.
Would spraying the innards of a reel with Boeshield cut down on corrosion?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:10 am

mark poulson wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:01 am
MeatHead wrote:
A sw inshore captain I know says he coats the entire inner frame and sideplates with a thin coat of Penn blue grease with a small paintbrush. He says it sheds the water before the water evaporates and leaves salt deposits behind. Not sure how well it actually worked, but he swore it made the reels last longer.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:45 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:10 am
mark poulson wrote:
MeatHead wrote:
A sw inshore captain I know says he coats the entire inner frame and sideplates with a thin coat of Penn blue grease with a small paintbrush. He says it sheds the water before the water evaporates and leaves salt deposits behind. Not sure how well it actually worked, but he swore it made the reels last longer.
I tried that Tim, mainly on Magnesium reels with Yamaha blue. Made an absolute mess when it came time to service. So much residue in the grease. See no difference in longevity without it, and less mess to clean up. Boeshield might be different though.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:42 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:45 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:10 am
mark poulson wrote:
MeatHead wrote:
I tried that Tim, mainly on Magnesium reels with Yamaha blue. Made an absolute mess when it came time to service. So much residue in the grease. See no difference in longevity without it, and less mess to clean up. Boeshield might be different though.
Thanks, Jeff. Good to know.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:36 am

Paint the inner surfaces with lanolin, it's a natural fat and won't affect anything and sheds water like nothing else and is naturally dielectric - protects from corrosion like nothing else I've used.

I know people and myself have tried dipping brass gears in different solutions like vinegar, vinegar and baking powder, scrubbing with toothpaste and even Coke (with marginal success - Aussie Cokes probably not as strong).

But best is a Dremel and polishing rouge', or one of those bristle rotary heads and Autosol - gets heaps messy (fling off) and wear safety googles as it'll get in your eyes. It manages getting between the teeth and is quiet soft on teeth. Works slower with a toothbrush but gets there eventually.

Shimano gears suffer the worst type of corrosion I've seen with that Dartanium drag seems to hold water and really damage the surface to discolour it into a rose coloured gold of sorts and it's pitted physically.

The teeth in my day to day reels I'm not too fussed on, if the brass discolours it's no biggy, as long as the teeth are well lubed and not missing...