Anyone buying the Alphas SV TW over the Zillion SV TW 1000?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.

Are you buying the the Alphas SV TW over the Zillion 1000?

Yes.
30%
Nope. Getting the JDM Zillion1000.
25%
Nope. Getting the USDM Zillion1000.
13%
Come on, this is TT, I'm getting BOTH!
33%

Total votes: 40

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Anyone buying the Alphas SV TW over the Zillion SV TW 1000?

Post by SSS » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:37 am

Anyone thinking of getting the Alphas SV TW over the new Zillion? If you're getting both, which is the priority over the other?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Anyone buying the Alphas SV TW over the Zillion SV TW 1000?

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:32 am

I got the Alphas SV TW. I was mainly I intrigued to see the parts compatibility with my Alphas AIR TW. I also found the specs of the Alphas SV TW for my ML to M needs quite well. The extra money wasn't worth it to me for the Zillion and my uses.

I should add I was hopeful that the 32mm spool would have allowed retro fitting of the SS AIR, T3 AIR, SV LIGHT and other 32mm spools. The Alphas SV TW spool is the same diameter but...more narrow so, no fit. I ordered my Roro BFS spool for it (SS AIR size...won't fit) before I placed my order from Japan Tackle for the Alphas SV TW.

Overall, with my limited testing, the Alphas SV TW is a pretty solid reel and a great casting reel.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:42 am

SSS wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:37 am
Anyone thinking of getting the Alphas SV TW over the new Zillion? If you're getting both, which is the priority over the other?
Helped you out with a fourth option there ;) :lol:
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

anteman
Angler
Angler

Post by anteman » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:56 am

At first I was looking at the Alphas. I thought, just as HWK of it as decent ML- M reel for a reasonable price but the origin of the Zillion and the 34 mm SV-boost spool intrigued so much I finally went with the latter. So light and smoooth when you crank it! Eager to try it but winter persists...

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:42 am

anteman wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:56 am
At first I was looking at the Alphas. I thought, just as HWK of it as decent ML- M reel for a reasonable price but the origin of the Zillion and the 34 mm SV-boost spool intrigued so much I finally went with the latter. So light and smoooth when you crank it! Eager to try it but winter persists...
Winter is like 6 months where I live. On a day when it hits 32 degrees...gotta try my new tackle before it freezes again

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:12 pm

I voted both, but will be buying the Alphas first. I'm just a sucker for a small form factor reel that can still hang with larger reels for standard bass techniques. That's why the Alphas will always be my favorite platform.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:43 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:12 pm
I voted both, but will be buying the Alphas first. I'm just a sucker for a small form factor reel that can still hang with larger reels for standard bass techniques. That's why the Alphas will always be my favorite platform.
I'm with you Tim. The Alphas has always been my favorite platform, but this new Zillion looks mighty small and likely rather comfortable. I'm definitely going to grab one.

Jeep
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jeep » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:03 pm

After I get done with winter boat upgrades \:D/ I will pick up at least one of each.

Pastrmka
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Pastrmka » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:41 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:32 am
I got the Alphas SV TW. I was mainly I intrigued to see the parts compatibility with my Alphas AIR TW. I also found the specs of the Alphas SV TW for my ML to M needs quite well. The extra money wasn't worth it to me for the Zillion and my uses.

I should add I was hopeful that the 32mm spool would have allowed retro fitting of the SS AIR, T3 AIR, SV LIGHT and other 32mm spools. The Alphas SV TW spool is the same diameter but...more narrow so, no fit. I ordered my Roro BFS spool for it (SS AIR size...won't fit) before I placed my order from Japan Tackle for the Alphas SV TW.

Overall, with my limited testing, the Alphas SV TW is a pretty solid reel and a great casting reel.
[/quote
Are gears compatible between alphas air tw and alphas sv tw? It would be nice to swap between aluminium and brass gears

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:21 pm

I’m in the get both category. I already have the alphas Sv tw and alphas air tw. I see them as the “a” version of the steez ct platform. Very small and smooth, extremely solid reel. I’m looking forward to an xh zillion too!

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:23 pm

Pastrmka wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:41 pm
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:32 am

[/quote
Are gears compatible between alphas air tw and alphas sv tw? It would be nice to swap between aluminium and brass gears
It's plausible. I did a quick swap. It felt tight. The handle spun and nothing odd but...tight. Maybe swapping/taking away washers may help

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:58 pm

I was the only one who voted for just the Alphas, I FINALLY got a new job, but it is a pay cut for a few months, gotta work my way up to better pay before getting both. Thing is, the river I fish requires finesse so the Alphas would be first pick then I will replace a Zillion SV TW with the new one, probably move the older one to a MH rod and the new 1000 to a higher quality Medium rod.

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:51 pm

Neither now that the new steez a hlc is on my radar...

I was interested in the alphas but a bit disappointed the platform is now produced in Thailand

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:00 am

Considering after only about 4 days with my new Zillion, I ordered two more :shock: , I'd have to some sort of addict to buy an Alpha.

Where y'all seein' the best prices?

amso4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by amso4 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:47 am

Amazon JP has the Alphas and was $232 delivered to my house. 8.1 LH.