Revo Premier Generation 2 Question

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Revo Premier Generation 2 Question

Post by Big-Bass » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:45 pm

I was on the big auction site and saw two NIB from a sporting goods store in NJ that were listed at $119 shipped each. They are sold out now but was that a decent price for this generation reel? Never put much thought into what these older reels are going for now. I had a Gen 1 STX, SC, and Premier but never used a 3 and the 4 felt not so comfortable in my hand. I collect/use Daiwa, Shimano, and Abu reels and I know many of the classic models go for a good amount. Thanks for the help on the random question while we get lambasted with 1-2 feet of snow here in the northeast. Best wishes on the water!

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Revo Premier Generation 2 Question

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:50 pm

Yes, that's a good price, provided you don't mind a heavier reel. They were around or just above 8 oz iirc. On the plus side, they are tough and dependable.
Edit: I had STX on the brain. The premier is actually under 6.5 oz, so pretty light also.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:20 pm

That gen of that Doyo platform has a good reputation for being dependable. Even the low end China made BPS Pro Q from that gen is very long lived and has a better reputation than newer gens.

skunked
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by skunked » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:40 am

That's a great price! MSRP was $279 back in 2010(?). I still have 2 of them. Very similar to the 2014(?) blue Pflueger Patriarch. Just be mindful of the easily tarnished metallic surfaces.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:34 pm

I got 6 of those Pflueger Patriarchs, and 2 of the Patriarch XTs, all for ~$100 when they were getting discountinued. They still show up on eBay from time to time and are a good investment for bread & butter reels, IMHO. Especially after you service them with good oil and grease, feels like you're reeling with air.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:52 am

Drakestar wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:34 pm
I got 6 of those Pflueger Patriarchs, and 2 of the Patriarch XTs, all for ~$100 when they were getting discountinued. They still show up on eBay from time to time and are a good investment for bread & butter reels, IMHO. Especially after you service them with good oil and grease, feels like you're reeling with air.
I'm always surprised at how adding a handle with two bearings in each knob make almost any reel smooth.
I have several of the BPS Pro Qualifiers that are still smooth, after years of use, and they have bearings in their knobs.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:54 pm

Both of the Gen 2 Premiers arrived today NIB. They are really, really, nice. 6.4:1 so a nice all around ratio and I got the last two they had. They didn't have any in any other ratio but for $119 a reel I figured what the heck. Best wishes on the water.