19 Certate vs 21 (new) Exsence

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

19 Certate vs 21 (new) Exsence

Post by jerkbait22 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:38 am

I've been in the market for a new spinning reel and had finally settled on a 2500XH Certate. Just about the same time I stumbled upon a good deal for this reel, I came across the new Exsence being announced. Now I'm not sure whether to wait or pull the trigger before spring hits and the Certates become impossible to find. I don't think the new Exsence is due out until April but I can wait if it's worth it. I'm not sure if there is any new tech in the Exsence that would make it a must have??

I'm more of a Shimano guy but I've only heard good things about both reels. New reel will be going on a Conquest 842S. What are peoples thoughts - pull trigger now on Certate or wait for the new Exsence?

ftl1951
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 19 Certate vs 21 (new) Exsence

Post by ftl1951 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:07 am

I have the 17 Exsense and it is without a doubt a fantastic reel. The new version adds the typical “new” tech from Shimano - micro module II gearing, silent drive, long stroke spool, and it is lighter... I purchased my Shimano 17 Exsense reels at $440 each from Japan, not the $500+ domestically. The new version is certainly going to be at the high end of $500 when it is released for sure. So, I just received another new Certate (2500 H) and paid $338 for it (delivered). This is my third Certate. I love these reels (obviously) and as with most things, my opinion is that the Daiwa is hard to beat. It is probably one of the best values in the market. If, however, price is not the deciding factor, then it’s always a good feeling to have the “newest” tech out there. It gives one a warm and fuzzy feeling to have the latest equipment to the market. I am not sure that the Shimano is worth the extra $$ for what each reel has to offer. It always boils down to what each of us really wants. If you are a Shimano guy, then wait for the new Exsense. It seems like that is what you will be most satisfied with in the long run.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:40 am

ftl1951 wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:07 am
I have the 17 Exsense and it is without a doubt a fantastic reel. The new version adds the typical “new” tech from Shimano - micro module II gearing, silent drive, long stroke spool, and it is lighter... I purchased my Shimano 17 Exsense reels at $440 each from Japan, not the $500+ domestically. The new version is certainly going to be at the high end of $500 when it is released for sure. So, I just received another new Certate (2500 H) and paid $338 for it (delivered). This is my third Certate. I love these reels (obviously) and as with most things, my opinion is that the Daiwa is hard to beat. It is probably one of the best values in the market. If, however, price is not the deciding factor, then it’s always a good feeling to have the “newest” tech out there. It gives one a warm and fuzzy feeling to have the latest equipment to the market. I am not sure that the Shimano is worth the extra $$ for what each reel has to offer. It always boils down to what each of us really wants. If you are a Shimano guy, then wait for the new Exsense. It seems like that is what you will be most satisfied with in the long run.
I was looking at the H vs XH Certate. Do you think the extra 5lbs / washers of drag in the H make a difference in performance? I'll be using the reel with 10lb braid to 6-8lb test leader material so not sure it makes a big difference. I prefer the handle of the XH rather than the T style and the faster retrieve ratio

ftl1951
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ftl1951 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:18 am

jerkbait22 wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:40 am
I was looking at the H vs XH Certate. Do you think the extra 5lbs / washers of drag in the H make a difference in performance? I'll be using the reel with 10lb braid to 6-8lb test leader material so not sure it makes a big difference. I prefer the handle of the XH rather than the T style and the faster retrieve ratio
[/quote]

I have both versions and I understand your preference for the handle. The H has a medium gear ratio that is just a little slower than the high gear XH version, and I’m not sure the extra drag is necessary. Most of my bass reels have the T handle (Shimano and Daiwa), but the more finesse applications seem to feel better with the smaller handle knob (more sensitive). I have used the Certate H for inshore, and that is where the extra drag is needed. Freshwater probably not as much. As I said, I love these reels.

ftl1951
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ftl1951 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:31 pm

Either reel is really nice. This is the XH version on a Megabass Orochi “Ronin” spooled with 11 lb Defier mono, and an Exsence C3000M on a Megabass P5 Wind-buster spooled with Power Pro 10 lb Super Slick.
Attachments
7626E052-CD83-4E03-BCDB-00819001EAA7.jpeg
7626E052-CD83-4E03-BCDB-00819001EAA7.jpeg (135.7 KiB) Viewed 4816 times

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:40 pm

ftl1951 wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:31 pm
Either reel is really nice. This is the XH version on a Megabass Orochi “Ronin” spooled with 11 lb Defier mono, and an Exsence C3000M on a Megabass P5 Wind-buster spooled with Power Pro 10 lb Super Slick.
Black Exsence with black onyx PP braid, me likey. Thanks for backing up my thoughts on the H vs XH drag. That is a sick combo with the wind buster. What techniques do you use it for? I plan to pick up one of the P5's when they release the American/US tapers later this year (or so they say).

And yea, it's like your inside my brain on the thought process. Certate widely praised, but would I be missing out on new Shimano tech with the new Exsence. I think they should be within $100-150 of each other so $350-$450 is essentially the same to me.

ftl1951
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ftl1951 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:11 pm

jerkbait22 wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:40 pm
ftl1951 wrote:
Black Exsence with black onyx PP braid, me likey. Thanks for backing up my thoughts on the H vs XH drag. That is a sick combo with the wind buster. What techniques do you use it for? I plan to pick up one of the P5's when they release the American/US tapers later this year (or so they say).

And yea, it's like your inside my brain on the thought process. Certate widely praised, but would I be missing out on new Shimano tech with the new Exsence. I think they should be within $100-150 of each other so $350-$450 is essentially the same to me.
So, I’m experimenting with free rigging using the wind buster and find it very sensitive and effective in that application. I have switched around with the Ronin and have thrown some jerkbaits on both. The wind buster works really well, but believe it or not, I prefer the Ronin and throw a lot of top water and smaller jerkbaits like the Megabass trick darter on it. I also throw Keitech swim baits with the wind buster and similar plastics. I find the rod has a great deal of backbone and is light, crisp, and just fun to use. As for the reels, both are just very smooth and feel like a million bucks when using them. Not to throw a kink in your choosing a reel, but I have pre-ordered the new Daiwa Luvias Airity. It’s just over $500 from Japan right now, but the specs on it are just really impressive. I’ll let you know what it feels like when it gets here...😁

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:18 pm

jerkbait22 wrote:
And yea, it's like your inside my brain on the thought process. Certate widely praised, but would I be missing out on new Shimano tech with the new Exsence.
You'll be missing exactly NOTHING - get the Certate!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:17 pm

reason162 wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:18 pm
jerkbait22 wrote:
And yea, it's like your inside my brain on the thought process. Certate widely praised, but would I be missing out on new Shimano tech with the new Exsence.
You'll be missing exactly NOTHING - get the Certate!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
This!

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:26 am

ftl1951 wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:11 pm
jerkbait22 wrote:
ftl1951 wrote:

So, I’m experimenting with free rigging using the wind buster and find it very sensitive and effective in that application. I have switched around with the Ronin and have thrown some jerkbaits on both. The wind buster works really well, but believe it or not, I prefer the Ronin and throw a lot of top water and smaller jerkbaits like the Megabass trick darter on it. I also throw Keitech swim baits with the wind buster and similar plastics. I find the rod has a great deal of backbone and is light, crisp, and just fun to use. As for the reels, both are just very smooth and feel like a million bucks when using them. Not to throw a kink in your choosing a reel, but I have pre-ordered the new Daiwa Luvias Airity. It’s just over $500 from Japan right now, but the specs on it are just really impressive. I’ll let you know what it feels like when it gets here...😁
I saw the Luvias Airity too but know a lot of people didn't like the original Luvias. It's also very very light and I'm not sure how great it would balance the rod I'm looking to put it on.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:54 am

I've seen the exsence pop up overseas for roughly $460 now, not too bad. Not in a rush to make a decision as we still have over a foot of snow on the ground and more on the way :(

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:40 am

I had the old Exsense and a few of the Certate LTs. The Exsense is nice, but I feel that the Certate is a better reel and less expensive. It's very rigid feeling under load and silky smooth.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:25 am

I would go off of what rod I would pairing the reel up with.

Certate is quite a bit heavier.
The Certate is a awesome reel but I would want to try the new Exsence myself.

ftl1951
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ftl1951 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:44 am

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:25 am

My Certates (2500) weigh in at just over 7oz. My 17 Exsences (C3000M Japanese versions) weigh exactly 7oz. Apparently, the new Exsence is supposed to be lighter than the original. If it improves on the original, the new Exsence should be amazing. I’m still waiting for my new Luvias Airity. Pretty excited.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:17 pm

ftl1951 wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:44 am
BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:25 am

My Certates (2500) weigh in at just over 7oz. My 17 Exsences (C3000M Japanese versions) weigh exactly 7oz. Apparently, the new Exsence is supposed to be lighter than the original. If it improves on the original, the new Exsence should be amazing. I’m still waiting for my new Luvias Airity. Pretty excited.
My bad, you are correct on the weights, for some reason I thought the Exsence was lighter, maybe I was thinking about the
Vanquish :-s