Which knob style do you generally prefer on a spinning reel?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
pauldconyers
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Which knob style do you generally prefer on a spinning reel?

Post by pauldconyers » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:33 pm

After years of using nothing but bait casters I am going to try a "fairy wand" this year. Being a Shimano guy I bought a 7' M Expride spinning rod and am going to pair it up with a Vanford 2500 or the 3000 size. Main difference is the 2500 has the smaller paddle size knob and the 3000 has the T shaped knob.

I went up to my local store and handled both but without actually fishing them a bit it was not just obvious to me which to go with. I realize it is a personal preference thing but I was curious if you guys had a general preference between the smaller paddle size knob or T shaped knob on spinning reels?

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Which knob style do you generally prefer on a spinning reel?

Post by i_am_R2 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:18 pm

My recommendation would be to get the reel with the specs you need/are looking for then swap out the knobs later if you don't like them? That's what I have done with all of my most recent spinning reels purchased.

I find the smaller knobs on both Shimano and Daiwa to be too "skinny" and the shape of the t-knobs a little awkward. Could be just me though :lol:

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:27 pm

I like the I-shape knobs that come on Shimano and Daiwa.

My favorite is the one that comes on the Shimano 2500 Stella FJ.

ftl1951
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ftl1951 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:22 pm

I prefer the I (paddle) shape on spinning reels when I am fishing finesse, feel/touch baits like shaky heads, light jig heads, light drop shot, etc. When fishing hard baits like jerk baits, top water, cranks and other moving baits like spinner baits or chatter baits, then I use the T knobs. I like the extra strength for moving baits. Again, like most, it is about personal preference. As has already been suggested, you can always change to the knob you prefer if necessary.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:01 pm

For the most part, I-shaped knobs works well and are efficient with lure working.

If catching bigger fish, the T-shape and Paddle-shaped knobs become more efficient when fighting bigger fish and winching the handle becomes a more primary concern. For that cranking lures and spinners becomes the choice.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

filthyPhil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by filthyPhil » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:01 pm

I always thought the handle and knob on the older Pflueger Presidents with the hardwood look was the best looking. I've been using a baitcaster for to long and just cant go back.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:20 am

T knob is easier to RH to use LH spinning configuration. It does not rely on pinching a knob between the thumb and index finger tips and be grabbed by a fist and turned with arm motion rather than a thumb and finger grasping the knob while rotating the wrist. The latter relies more heavily on fine motor skills than the former and some RHs may not have those fine motor skills present in their left hand.

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:48 am

I was a paddle knob fan but I finally got a Stradic Ci4+ 3000 and I've been liking the T knob. I take my hand off the knob a fair amount of time when I'm letting a bait sit or as I'm slowly dragging or hopping it. When a fish bites I gotta jerk my hand back to the reel and sometimes I can't quite find the handle when it's a regular paddle. Not a huge issue by any means but with the bigger T knob I always get good purchase on the handle. I can't recall losing a fish because I wasn't able to take up slack fast enough after setting the hook or anything (due to fumbling with the handle), but still, the larger knob is nice.