What are your 5 picks for reels that changed the market

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Heddonfrog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: What are your 5 picks for reels that changed the market

Post by Heddonfrog » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:57 pm

Gone Phishin wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:22 am
RMCatchNrelease wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:15 am
Zebco 33...I wouldn't be fishing today if I Dad didn't give me one.

My favorite 33 story is Canadian lake trout fishing. Uncle has a 40+ on, fish of the trip, reel comes to a grinding halt and fish pulls the hook. Water was so clear I saw the bits of flesh float off as he gave one final head shake. Uncle unscrewed the front of the 33 and the entire guts fell out into the boat. We had money on big fish and 5 men never laughed so hard hearing those gears and parts ting ting ting against the aluminum hull. Rod and reel are safe and sound in 40' of water somewhere in Manitoba.
This one made me chuckle loud enough my dog looked at me. Thanks for sharing.
X2 :lol:

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: What are your 5 picks for reels that changed the market

Post by Hulkster » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:17 am

I wanted to add that the Team Daiwa TD2 Hi reels from the late 80s were supposedly the first baitcasters to have instant antireverse (no handle play when you try to back reel)

my dad had one in 89 paired with a Team Daiwa twitchin' rod. great combo that i believe was $300 US at the time.