What are your 5 picks for reels that changed the market

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Heddonfrog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

What are your 5 picks for reels that changed the market

Post by Heddonfrog » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:42 pm

First off the Bantam in the photo is the subject that started a conversation about the evolution of baitcasters from a vintage tech point of view. The tech on my BBMVR 2-spd died after a second iteration but lived on in salt water reels. It was an incredible reel for 30yrs of use but it doesn’t qualify for the question I have. The question is, if your reel acumen goes back this far, what do you feel the most influential baitcasters were between say, 1985 and 2005? Those that had cutting edge technology and created a new direction in the market or simply took current tech and packaged it so well that it moved the market and also that you’d like to take these 5 reels out on the water for a retro flashback day. Theoretically speaking

I can’t add my two cents because I lived in a bubble and only used Shimano’s from 1989 to 2016. I listened enough to know that the Calcutta is probably going to be on someones list but don’t know if my old first gen Calais actually added anything new or moved the market. I do think it’s interesting how similar the top front design on the palm side plate of the Met is with the 80’s Bantam. Definitely a family resemblance
Attachments
838BE4AA-5CE0-410F-BC3B-D03E054E47DB.jpeg
838BE4AA-5CE0-410F-BC3B-D03E054E47DB.jpeg (140.22 KiB) Viewed 4202 times
B8D61057-1612-4BA5-A8B5-93D7663D14CF.jpeg
B8D61057-1612-4BA5-A8B5-93D7663D14CF.jpeg (138.97 KiB) Viewed 4202 times

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What are your 5 picks for reels that changed the market

Post by LowRange » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:16 am

Daiwa TDZ, Alphas and Pixy come to mind. Those 3 are still small and palm well by today's standards.

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrpao » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:37 am

Some reels that come to mind.
Curado 200B (greenie)
OG zillion
TDZ
Core 100
Stradic FG

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:14 am

I don't know which model actually but as far as it changed for me that I noticed.

Spinning reels:

- the worm gear for oscillation.
- when the bail arms was moved towards the inside of the rotor, thus reducing the bail wire.
- the little fin on the underside that reduced the space next to the line roller on the bail arm.
- the groove on the line roller that allow for a much more line precision - although it prevented a slip bobber knot passing through.

Casting reels:
- the use of the of a flanged/conical levelwind line guide - found typically on the Shimano Chronarch and higher models.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:40 am

The Daiwa TDZ family was among the first reels with a free floating spool and multi disc drag, so, that whole group was truly a fundamental change in baitcaster design. The Alphas/Pixy family introduced BFS to casting gear. The Curado 200B gave truly great performance at a great price point.
Like it or not, the T-Wing has changed the market, as well...maybe not so much from a performance standpoint, but the way people view the feature. You cant deny that Daiwa hit a homerun with it. Just look at their skyrocketing sales since it was introduced, it's more than a little impressive, tbh.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrpao » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:39 am

Forgot to mention the Curado E series.
Still highly desired by many.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:58 pm

1. Ambassadeur 5000 series - before this reel, there were few, if any mass market baitcasting reels that weren’t primitive

2. Lew’s/Shimano - 1st ergonomic reel + modern design

3. Daiwa TD1HI/1PI -

4. Shimano Scorpion

5. REVO -

Common thread? Design + availability + price = yeah boy!

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:37 am

Meek & Milam Kentucky Reel - the first baitcast reel, first on the market in 1852

Ambassadeur 5000 - first reel with a multi disc drag and free spool capabilities. Most modern baitcast reels can trace their design all the way to the original Ambassadeur 5000.

Lews BB1 - the first low profile reel

Mitchell 300 - the first mass market spinning reel. So many were made, I still see tons upon tons every year at garage sales and estate sales. Still fun to fish with even though they're coffee grinders compared to even a modern lower end Shakespeare.

Ambassadeur 2500C - the original small lure baitcast reel

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:22 am

tincanary wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:37 am
Meek & Milam Kentucky Reel - the first baitcast reel, first on the market in 1852

Ambassadeur 5000 - first reel with a multi disc drag and free spool capabilities. Most modern baitcast reels can trace their design all the way to the original Ambassadeur 5000.

Lews BB1 - the first low profile reel

Mitchell 300 - the first mass market spinning reel. So many were made, I still see tons upon tons every year at garage sales and estate sales. Still fun to fish with even though they're coffee grinders compared to even a modern lower end Shakespeare.

Ambassadeur 2500C - the original small lure baitcast reel
I was this close to (index finger - thumb) from listing the Kentucky reels but there weren’t technically mass-produced. I could have gone with an Honorable Mention category though. Mitchell 300 though, excellent choice.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:18 pm

TDZ for many of the reasons stated above.
Pixy for its early roots in the BFS game
Shimanos DC breaking- seems to be high end feature being tricked down
Daiwa SV spools requiring less user input and easier casting in wind or for non aerodynamic baits
Clicking drag- referring to the drag in casting reels clicking when a fish pulls

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:38 pm

Johnny A wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:22 am
I was this close to (index finger - thumb) from listing the Kentucky reels but there weren’t technically mass-produced. I could have gone with an Honorable Mention category though. Mitchell 300 though, excellent choice.
While they weren't mass produced, manufacturing methods of the day didn't lend themselves to producing precision equipment to such a degree. Kentucky reels were made by craftsmen skilled in trades such as jewelry and watchmaking. Interestingly enough, they were built to order, and early on many of those makers didn't give a price until the reel was finished. The history behind them is fascinating. It's probably an experience using one. From time to time, I break out one of my old knuckle busters and stick it on a glass rod. It isn't anything like the high tech stuff we have now. It's raw, it doesn't hold your hand, but it can be fun to use. The experience is different, and when you have a hot fish on the line that little handle whirling away makes you smile.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:39 pm

Fishing4Fun wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:18 pm
TDZ for many of the reasons stated above.
Pixy for its early roots in the BFS game
Shimanos DC breaking- seems to be high end feature being tricked down
Daiwa SV spools requiring less user input and easier casting in wind or for non aerodynamic baits
Clicking drag- referring to the drag in casting reels clicking when a fish pulls
I like this list. I'll also add the 50/51 sized Shimano reels for ultra compact, but universal reels.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:07 pm

tincanary wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:38 pm
Johnny A wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:22 am
While they weren't mass produced, manufacturing methods of the day didn't lend themselves to producing precision equipment to such a degree. Kentucky reels were made by craftsmen skilled in trades such as jewelry and watchmaking. Interestingly enough, they were built to order, and early on many of those makers didn't give a price until the reel was finished. The history behind them is fascinating. It's probably an experience using one. From time to time, I break out one of my old knuckle busters and stick it on a glass rod. It isn't anything like the high tech stuff we have now. It's raw, it doesn't hold your hand, but it can be fun to use. The experience is different, and when you have a hot fish on the line that little handle whirling away makes you smile.
Every once in a while the fishing or outdoor mags would have an article about the Kentucky reels or antique rods. It’s an interesting area of fishing history.
We had a guy here, Reel Old Geezer, who had a great deal on information on older reels. We had some interesting conversations.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:15 am

Zebco 33...I wouldn't be fishing today if I Dad didn't give me one.

My favorite 33 story is Canadian lake trout fishing. Uncle has a 40+ on, fish of the trip, reel comes to a grinding halt and fish pulls the hook. Water was so clear I saw the bits of flesh float off as he gave one final head shake. Uncle unscrewed the front of the 33 and the entire guts fell out into the boat. We had money on big fish and 5 men never laughed so hard hearing those gears and parts ting ting ting against the aluminum hull. Rod and reel are safe and sound in 40' of water somewhere in Manitoba.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:22 am

RMCatchNrelease wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:15 am
Zebco 33...I wouldn't be fishing today if I Dad didn't give me one.

My favorite 33 story is Canadian lake trout fishing. Uncle has a 40+ on, fish of the trip, reel comes to a grinding halt and fish pulls the hook. Water was so clear I saw the bits of flesh float off as he gave one final head shake. Uncle unscrewed the front of the 33 and the entire guts fell out into the boat. We had money on big fish and 5 men never laughed so hard hearing those gears and parts ting ting ting against the aluminum hull. Rod and reel are safe and sound in 40' of water somewhere in Manitoba.
This one made me chuckle loud enough my dog looked at me. Thanks for sharing.