Non-Daiwa guy question

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Non-Daiwa guy question

Post by mark poulson » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:31 am

I grew up fishing no brakes, and then centrifugal brakes, but I've never fished a Daiwa reel with their magnetic brake spool. Do you still thumb the spool on the cast?

Finesse Angler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Non-Daiwa guy question

Post by Finesse Angler » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:11 pm

I still thumb the spool, but I set mine up to be that way. I can dial in my ct sv to not need to thumb it and still get decent distances with it though. I have to thumb my pixy almost no matter what, there are a few times I’ve gotten it dialed to a lure perfectly to not need to but it felt restricted. If you get an sv spool and want to dial it in you won’t have to thumb, however I think other daiwa spools you would probably need to not much experience outside of those two reels.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:47 pm

It depends on the braking system in the spool and sometimes what reel the spool is in. I do slow and stop every cast with my thumb, but even that isn't needed with some SV spools in some reels.

But in general:

Magforce V/Z: Will thumb sooner once the lure hits the "halfway" point, I keep my thumb at the ready throughout the cast, but I almost never have to use it for the first 50%.
SV: Will keep my thumb clear of the spool so it can self-correct, moving my thumb lower much closer to the end of the cast.

Unlike a lot of people I do use a little spool tension with Magforce Z spools, maybe a 1/8-1/4 turn past "no spool play", when I am using them for lighter stuff, it lets me keep the brakes lower which seems to help when I am making short casts where I can't 100% load the rod.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:49 pm

Thank you both for taking the time to reply. I have several Daiwa reels a friend left at my house that are still packed away. I may open one up and play with it, based on what you've said.

eklikewhoa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by eklikewhoa » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:13 am

You still thumb but I feel mag brakes are more forgiving while being less restricted?

Like you can be lazy and run little braking