First BFS Reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
GaterB
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

First BFS Reel

Post by GaterB » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:12 pm

Alright everyone, I want to take the plunge. What’s your recommendations for a first bfs casting reel?? Can be old, new, expensive, cheap, I don’t care I’ll take any and all suggestions! Will be paired with a rod capable of throwing 2-8 grams (give or take). Thanks in advance!!
A fish in the hand is worth two in the brush

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: First BFS Reel

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:48 pm

I like the Alphas AIR TW. Great BFS reel and for the money too.

For less expensive options, the Scorpion BFS is good as well as the original Alphas AIR.

Depends on what reel you have, you could always get an aftermarket BFS spool like a Roro spool for an existing reel you have.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:47 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:48 pm
I like the Alphas AIR TW. Great BFS reel and for the money too.

For less expensive options, the Scorpion BFS is good as well as the original Alphas AIR.

Depends on what reel you have, you could always get an aftermarket BFS spool like a Roro spool for an existing reel you have.
X2

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:56 pm

My SS Air works great for those weights.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:04 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:56 pm
My SS Air works great for those weights.
I still use mine. Just got a Roro BFS spool for mine. Super light and shallow

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:46 pm

I’ll echo the sentiments of the other folks. The air reels are all great as well as the scorpion, Aldebaran and conquest bfs. The aldebaran, ss air and steez air super lightweight are great for making a feathery combo.

Depending on how big your hand is the ss air is a little bit bigger in hand so if you have big paws you may prefer something like that. The aldebaran, scorpion, new steez air and new alphas air are very small and disappear in hand.

If you want a dual purpose reel an alphas ct Sv can power finesse with the stock spool and cast 1g lures with a roro or momo spool.

A lot of good options out there now.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:17 am

GaterB wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:12 pm
Alright everyone, I want to take the plunge. What’s your recommendations for a first bfs casting reel?? Can be old, new, expensive, cheap, I don’t care I’ll take any and all suggestions! Will be paired with a rod capable of throwing 2-8 grams (give or take). Thanks in advance!!
What lures will you be using, and what are you fishing for?

GaterB
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by GaterB » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:53 am

These are all excellent suggestions, thanks everyone!! I do have larger hands so I’ll check out the ss air for sure!
Dalleinf wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:17 am
of
Ill mostly fish for largemouth and panfish with the bfs gear, maybe some trout in the future.

As far as lures go, Ill be throwing micro crankbaits and weightless finesse plastics, and tiny Topwater lures as well. Some of the Great Hunting options from Megabass have caught my eye, and I know Lucky Craft makes some nice bfs/trout size hard baits as well.
A fish in the hand is worth two in the brush

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:45 pm

GaterB wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:53 am
These are all excellent suggestions, thanks everyone!! I do have larger hands so I’ll check out the ss air for sure!
Dalleinf wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:17 am
of
Ill mostly fish for largemouth and panfish with the bfs gear, maybe some trout in the future.

As far as lures go, Ill be throwing micro crankbaits and weightless finesse plastics, and tiny Topwater lures as well. Some of the Great Hunting options from Megabass have caught my eye, and I know Lucky Craft makes some nice bfs/trout size hard baits as well.
All of the lures you mention can be thrown with the SS AIR. I have the stock spool for casting panfish and small bass lures in lakes with 7lb FC and a shallower Roro spool with 4lb mono for stream trout.

amso4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by amso4 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:35 pm

Here some thoughts about BFS that I have had. I first got a few of the cheap AliExpress BFS reels to give it a try. They work surprisingly well, capable of casting down to 2 grams. They were not the smoothest, but certainly capable since they have spools in the 10 gram range.

Next I started getting higher end stuff. I have the Aldebaren BFS and the new Alphas Air. Of course, these reels are amazing. The smoothness and price were big steps up from the Chinese BFS reels. I could cast a little more consistent with the higher end reels.

Finally, I got some AliExpress BFS spools for an old Fuego and Tatula CT I had laying around. The spools turned the old forgotten Daiwas into pretty good BFS reels for about $35 invested in the spool.

I am sure everyone's experience and opinions may be different. The advice I would give to a friend would be to get a cheap AliExpress spool and put it in an old Daiwa and see if it does what you want first before you spend $300 on something. Unless of course, like me, you just want an excuse to buy a new toy. I rarely use the high end BFS reels and mostly use the Fuego BFS for skipping weightless trick worms. Truth is I never bought a bunch of high end BFS rods to go with the high end BFS reels. I have a few Majorcraft Days and Benkei BFS rods.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:15 pm

amso4 wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:35 pm
Here some thoughts about BFS that I have had. I first got a few of the cheap AliExpress BFS reels to give it a try. They work surprisingly well, capable of casting down to 2 grams. They were not the smoothest, but certainly capable since they have spools in the 10 gram range.

Next I started getting higher end stuff. I have the Aldebaren BFS and the new Alphas Air. Of course, these reels are amazing. The smoothness and price were big steps up from the Chinese BFS reels. I could cast a little more consistent with the higher end reels.

Finally, I got some AliExpress BFS spools for an old Fuego and Tatula CT I had laying around. The spools turned the old forgotten Daiwas into pretty good BFS reels for about $35 invested in the spool.

I am sure everyone's experience and opinions may be different. The advice I would give to a friend would be to get a cheap AliExpress spool and put it in an old Daiwa and see if it does what you want first before you spend $300 on something. Unless of course, like me, you just want an excuse to buy a new toy. I rarely use the high end BFS reels and mostly use the Fuego BFS for skipping weightless trick worms. Truth is I never bought a bunch of high end BFS rods to go with the high end BFS reels. I have a few Majorcraft Days and Benkei BFS rods.
I'll add to that by saying the cheap AliExpress 30 dollar spools are inconsistent with QC. I have had some good ones...and some turds as well.

Roro spools are mostly for Daiwa but, are great for the 55-75 they sell for. They have their own website and ship themselves. I have had better luck with shipping from them versus gambling on Aliexpress. They also sell bearings that perform above their price as well.

eklikewhoa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by eklikewhoa » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:12 am

If you like tinkering, for me the Pixy with a spool is one of the best platforms.

Out the box and no budget, probably Conquest