Reel "Feet"

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
STEEZMAN2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Reel "Feet"

Post by STEEZMAN2 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:46 am

Is there a particular reel or reel brand that the reel tends to sit farther up the rod in relation to the reel foot?
In other words a reel that sits further up the rod from the trigger. (not height)

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Reel "Feet"

Post by i_am_R2 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:40 pm

This is subjective of course but to me, it feels like Shimanos generally sit further up the seat and Daiwas and Lew's and Abus sit further back. I have never actually measured to find out for sure but that's how they feel in my hands when I test out different reels on the same rods.

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:38 am

Yup, pretty much my observation as well. If you look at the feet of Shimanos, both front and back are the same length. A Zillion for example has asymmetrical long feet, the front one being way longer and therefore the real sitting closer to the trigger.

If that is important to you please also be aware of reel seats being designed differently as well, having the same result - the distance between trigger and where the foot sits varies, too.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:39 pm

dennis_rf wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:38 am
.......the distance between trigger and where the foot sits varies, too.
I have figured out that this is what causes my hand to hurt and fingers to cramp while using the Fuji SK casting seat. At first, I thought it was the tiny blank section between the 2 pieces of the reel seat.....but I have a couple of the Phenix Maxim rods for moving baits and that split seat never hurts my hand or causes cramping in my fingers. As it turns out, the thick, stubby trigger, coupled with where the reel sits in relation to the trigger is the culprit.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

STEEZMAN2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by STEEZMAN2 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:04 am

Thanks for the replies. I have a few rods that I want to keep that don't feel right with Daiwa reels on them because of the trigger location. I will try putting a Shimano on them! =D>

STEEZMAN2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by STEEZMAN2 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:48 am

Well I ordered a Shimano SLX MGL 70 and it doesn't sit any further up the rod. The back foot is really short...
I'll keep it, its a nice reel.

Looking for more suggestions for exact models that sit up the rod further for sure.

Just going by pics, it looks like the KastKing Speed Demon Elite may have a longer back foot.

Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Salty Parrot » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:52 am

Most my reels are fished on Phenix rods and I can palm daiwas and shimanos comfortably

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:38 am

STEEZMAN2 wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:48 am
Well I ordered a Shimano SLX MGL 70 and it doesn't sit any further up the rod. The back foot is really short...
I'll keep it, its a nice reel.

Looking for more suggestions for exact models that sit up the rod further for sure.

Just going by pics, it looks like the KastKing Speed Demon Elite may have a longer back foot.
I think the reels with the asymmetric thumb bar (met 20, curado 70). I will try to take a look at my reels this weekend and compare.