Shimano Bantam MGL drag washer.

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Shimano Bantam MGL drag washer.

Post by Just_Bass » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:12 pm

Today I deep clean my bantam MGL for the first time after two years of lightly used. To my surprise the bottom drag washer is not carbontex stuff but seem like carbon compress disc (super smooth, ice washer drag, maybe?). The problem is this stuff is nasty grease dust everywhere and struck to both main gear and bottom washer. How do I clean those off main gear? I’m thinking of getting smooth drag instead. Anyone have any opinion or upgrade drag washer on their bantam?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Shimano Bantam MGL drag washer.

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:28 pm

Yes, Carbontex smooth drag is what you need. That crusty stuff is common with shimano drag washers. A brass-bristle brush is the best way to clean that stuff off. It's usually because grease or oil contaminated the washer, and the drag pressure was left on the drag during storage.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:00 am

Put some 1000 / 1500 wet and dry sand paper on a sheet of thick glass, plenty of water on the wet and dry (and keep it wet while doing this) and the main gear bottom side to paper and do figure 8 motions with minimal pressure - this will clean any corrosion / gunk stubbornly stuck to the bottom of the gear without removing too much material unevenly.

May as well do the drag pressure plate and clutch return plate too for best drag results.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:33 am

Yea, and i have no idea how is it that Shimano been using this stuff (dartanium or whatever its called) for over 20 years. This thing is way too nasty to be used inside a reel.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:21 pm

It's like European cars and their soft discs and extra bite brake pads that leave wheels blacker than 10 black things.

Dartanium had its day and its obsolete. Even their fabric drag washers that come in the SLX stock are better around.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:17 pm

That stuff is smooth super smooth but make my gear look nasty. I’m searching for smooth drag but only found one listing on eBay. Have your guys tried other?

bassfisherman619
Angler
Angler

Post by bassfisherman619 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:19 pm

http://www.smoothdrag.com/price.html

Bantam MGL HGL Set of 2 $8.00

Don't buy off eBay. Give Dawn a call.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler