Want to try a higher end spinning reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Want to try a higher end spinning reel

Post by Matt_3479 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:28 pm

I’m looking at upgrading 2 spinning reels this season. I’d like to try higher end reels for spinning. Something above the stradic line of reels. I’m mainly a shimano guy but would be open to daiwa too!!

Right now I will move my stradic fk to my 2 piece northern walleye set up (where I can’t bring a 1 piece)
Move my stradic ci4+ to my glx 822s dsr

And need 2 more reals for my expride 7’ light plus and my nrx 852s. The nrx is my main purpose spinnning set up, and the light plus is obviously for anything finesse (neds mainly). Any suggestions

dhottle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Want to try a higher end spinning reel

Post by dhottle » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:43 pm

I'm a shimano guy myself but when it comes to spinning reels I stepped up from the stradic line to a certate an never looked back. To me it gives you stella quality for about half the price.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:02 pm

Anyone looking for a "higher end" spinning reel should give the Certate/Luvias Airity/Exist a try. Daiwa's MQ reels are simply amazing, and the Certate is probably best value on the market right now.

ftl1951
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ftl1951 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:29 pm

As far as I’m concerned, the Daiwa Certate is the best value, higher end reel on the market. It isn’t the lightest available, but it is still pretty darned light. Ultra smooth, well-built and so far, very durable. The monocoque body allows for a killer gear compared to many others and the drag system is flawless. I just purchased a new ‘21 Daiwa Luvias Airity from Japan that is built on the Exist frame and the Finesse Custom 2500 weighs almost nothing. It is about $100 more than the Certate, but it duplicates most of the Exist components and is just a really sweet reel. It has a Magnesium body compared to the Aluminum of the Certate, but these are just absolutely outstanding reels.

Shimano is introducing a new Exsence this year (April) that I am sure will be a superb choice. I have two of the ‘17 Exsence C3000M reels and they, too, are just awesome. I can’t imagine how really nice the new versions will be.

StymoDe
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by StymoDe » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:00 pm

To me 19 Certate LT offers the perfect balance of cost and performance. they don't feel heavy at all but if I go for a lighter reel I would pick up my Vanquish.

Interestingly, both my kids (in their teens) feel 16 Certate is smoother than the new LT version :D

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:32 pm

I agree with all of the above the Certate LT is the real deal, I have three all in different sizes and they are liquid smooth even after landing lots of Salmon on each of them they are still out of the box smooth and tight.

Kurt

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:35 pm

The Certate is a very nice reel, I prefer Shimano a little more.

I would wait for the new Exsence, it looks like its basically a Vanquish for the U.S. market.

Planning on picking up a 4000 myself.

Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt_3479 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:14 pm

I’ve never owned a daiwa spinning reel but boy the amount of love for the certate I may just have to get one and then either the exsense or Stella (leaning heavily towards the exsence)

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:33 pm

Another vote for Daiwa when it comes to spinning reels. I have both the 15 Exist and current model Exist. If I were in the market for another spinning reel, it’d be the Luvias Airity for sure!

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:39 pm

Matt_3479 wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:14 pm
I’ve never owned a daiwa spinning reel but boy the amount of love for the certate I may just have to get one and then either the exsense or Stella (leaning heavily towards the exsence)
You'll get the Certate then either the Airity or Exist - that's my prediction anyway :D

Shimano does have that perfect line lay, though Daiwa's are very good too. Gun to my head that'd be the only coin on Shimano's side of the scale.

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:21 pm

All fine reels. For my fishing on bony eastern rivers, getting continually dunked and traveling dusty roads on UTV’s I didn’t have the confidence in the Exists over the long haul. It was the only time I went away from Shimano spins in over 20 years or more. I caught thousands of smallmouth on all variants of Stradics over the years, Sustains and then Exsence then just decided to end the search and be done with looking at spinning reels.

I opted for Stella quality by purchasing Stellas. Two more coming this week. I’m up to 7 but I only fish spins. Even my wife has one.

Happy shopping sir.
Team flannel, overtime and promotion.