New Zillion - How well does it skip??

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: New Zillion - How well does it skip??

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:11 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:03 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:04 am
Wonder how the new Alphas fits in? I don't think it has the "boost" technology, might be the same spool as the old SV105 had...
Definitely not the same spool as the SV 105. The Alphas sv tw spool is narrow like the spools from the steez ct, alphas ct and millionaire ct.
The funny thing is that the Alphas SV TW spool is 32mm...that threw me off when hoping for my OG AIR spools to fit
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:26 am

Tested the same lures, on the same rod yesterday with a Steez A + steez Sv Tw spool.

Night and day different. All but the 1/4oz lures where much easier to skip and when i f'ed up a cast, the reel behaved very calmly, resulting only in the slightest backlash that took less than 5 secs to get out.

The Zillion is now on my chatterbait rod. It will do well here and it looks actually pretty coll on the P5 SuperDestroyer.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:52 pm

So a traditional SV spool is much easier to skip with than an SV boost spool. This would make sense. That choked off feeling SV spools have at the end of the cast while the spool is slowly rotating is what allows them to skip so well. SV boost spools do away with this but as the cost of being not as skip friendly as an SV spool.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:41 am

LowRange wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:52 pm
So a traditional SV spool is much easier to skip with than an SV boost spool. This would make sense. That choked off feeling SV spools have at the end of the cast while the spool is slowly rotating is what allows them to skip so well. SV boost spools do away with this but as the cost of being not as skip friendly as an SV spool.

Yeah that makes sense except when I start skipping the light baits.

With the aero drag, line friction, and spool inertia properties, there’s plenty enough ‘natural brakes’ for the lighter baits, I want dang near a free spinning spool when I skip.

Also, when I skip light stuff, I can get good 20+ ft skips with just light flips of the wrist. Everything is very loose, soft, and effortless for me. When y’all skip the light stuff with these heavy brake settings, are y’all having to cast with a lot of effort? We have to be doing something different cause there’s no way I could see myself skipping a light 1/4 oz bait with the brakes turned up.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:52 am

CFDoc wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:41 am
LowRange wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:52 pm

Yeah that makes sense except when I start skipping the light baits.

With the aero drag, line friction, and spool inertia properties, there’s plenty enough ‘natural brakes’ for the lighter baits, I want dang near a free spinning spool when I skip.

Also, when I skip light stuff, I can get good 20+ ft skips with just light flips of the wrist. Everything is very loose, soft, and effortless for me. When y’all skip the light stuff with these heavy brake settings, are y’all having to cast with a lot of effort? We have to be doing something different cause there’s no way I could see myself skipping a light 1/4 oz bait with the brakes turned up.
I only skip like 8 ft max. I can't imagine needing to skip any further in my waters. Most skips are shorter than 5 feet.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:48 pm

I only skip like 8 ft max. I can't imagine needing to skip any further in my waters. Most skips are shorter than 5 feet.
Ah. Makes sense.

Down here, cypress tree flats, big long docks, flooded timber, etc. are all difficult places to fish if your bait ever gets above head height. It’s super fun to fish them though with those long skips that can get back to where very few others can put a bait.

Fran87
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Fran87 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:39 am

I just tried my Steez Sv limited with SV BOOST spool this past week and by the way I was experimenting more dificulties in terms of skipping...

The reel is awesome and looks impressive but I think the normal SV are better in terms of skipping...

Maybe I need more time with it in the water but these are my first impressions.

Regards

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:18 pm

been able to have mine on the water for a couple months now. I don't see any difference skipping between this and the steez sv1016 g1 spool. have skipped weightless senkos, bladed jigs, spinnerbaits and it's effortless to skip 10-15 yards. Biggest difference so far is on a long cast. SV boost feels less choked off on the long cast. short intermediate casts feel identical to a steez sv1016 g1 sv spool that I've been using for 5 years in a lot of reels.