Next Daiwa Reel help!!

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Jnkoepp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Next Daiwa Reel help!!

Post by Jnkoepp » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:54 pm

So I need one more combo. It’s going to be for open water casting 1/4oz T Rigs. Rod is a P5 x bites....I can’t figure out which reel.

Option A - Buy a Steez HLC. Swap that with the MB IS79 that is on my Steez bottom contact. HLC for C-Rig, IS for T-Rig

Option B - Morethan PE. I have one on an Orochi PP for frogs but I have a ZPI NRC-001 spool in it. Put the new one with the PE spool on my frog rod and run the one with the ZPI for T-Rigs

Option C - New Zillion (JDM)

Option D - I have a nib RC-002 spool just waiting for an OG Steez. Wait for a 7:1 OG Steez to become available

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Next Daiwa Reel help!!

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:53 pm

I'll say option D, but I'm a little old school with my reel choices. I only have one reel with a T-wing, and that's a Tatula TTU 100HS for jigs and frogs.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:01 pm

If you don't have a new Zillion in your arsenal, that's the reel you need to get.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:58 pm

Cal wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:01 pm
If you don't have a new Zillion in your arsenal, that's the reel you need to get.
Everyone seems to speak highly of the new Zillion. I ended up with the Alphas SV TW which is a good reel. All this talk of the Zillion kinda makes me wish I got the Zillion instead.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:07 pm

Jnkoepp wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:54 pm
So I need one more combo. It’s going to be for open water casting 1/4oz T Rigs. Rod is a P5 x bites....I can’t figure out which reel.
I tried the new zillion on my x-bites but didn’t really like the way it felt. The handle is very narrow and small on the x-bites and it made the zillion feel bulky to me.

I ended up with the Met on it as the Met’s a very narrow reel comparatively speaking.

I’ll try to take a picture of both tomorrow and you can hopefully see what I’m talking about.

But in general, the x-bites is a lower powered rod that does well in the 1/8 - 3/8 weight range. As such, I like the smaller more compact reels when pairing. Being an obvious Daiwa fan, I’d put the Steez CT on your list.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:03 am

The Zillion made everyone forget what are the Shimano offerings. Get that thing. For once in a long while, Daiwa has created a quality reel that will be remembered for a long time.

eklikewhoa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by eklikewhoa » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:46 pm

I'd go D or close B.

The other options are just "lite" versions

Jnkoepp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jnkoepp » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:13 pm

eklikewhoa wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:46 pm
I'd go D or close B.

The other options are just "lite" versions
That’s the reply I was “wanting”! Cheapest too.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:16 pm

I have a Steez CT on my X-Bites and haven't found a better match after having tried many of the options you listed. Short of going that route, I'd take option D from your list.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:43 pm

This makes me want a new Zillion bad. I have 2 SV TWs, 2 Zillion TWS. Would like to find an SV103XS more than anything, wish I had gotten 2 while they were on TW mega sale. I would like to have all 4 generations of Zillion even though the last 2 are Tatulish. The Alphas fits my light line river style better but I want a Zill-nasty so bad...