2020 Metanium MGL equal

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
montey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

2020 Metanium MGL equal

Post by montey » Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:49 pm

Hello

I recently bought a 2020 Met MGL, and love it 100%. I have a bunch of Daiwa Tatula sv tw 2017 and newer one that are fantastic reels, I have zero issues with them. I'm an only use Daiwa, and Shimano reels person, and was wondering what would be the Daiwa equal to the Met MGL 2020?

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 2020 Metanium MGL equal

Post by sarcazmo » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:16 pm

I think the new zillion could be comparable. I've only taken mine out once to a pond so far (this darn heat makes me not want to take the boat out as much) but it's a REALLY nice reel.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:47 pm

montey wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:49 pm
Hello

I recently bought a 2020 Met MGL, and love it 100%. I have a bunch of Daiwa Tatula sv tw 2017 and newer one that are fantastic reels, I have zero issues with them. I'm an only use Daiwa, and Shimano reels person, and was wondering what would be the Daiwa equal to the Met MGL 2020?
Define ‘equal’.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:43 am

I have heard the 2020 Metanium is very finesse capable, considered one myself alongside the new Zillion and Alphas SV TW. About the lightest I would go is a small swimbait or worm with a 1/8 jighead. Most of the time it would be the same but a 3/16 head. Looking to use 10lb fluoro and a Medium or ML casting rod... Not as much talk about the Metanium in finesse situations though...

montey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by montey » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:16 pm

CFDoc wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:47 pm
montey wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:49 pm
Hello

Define ‘equal’.
generally speaking. Solidness, ability to cast down to 3/16, smoothness in casting and retrieving, compact frame.

whoaSon247
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by whoaSon247 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:31 pm

The MetB can toss a 1/16 SH and little finesse worm pretty far. As long as the total weight of the bait is over 1/8 and isn't terribly wind resistant the MetB can handle it. The other half of the equation is a rod that will load with the weight your trying to throw.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:38 pm

montey wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:16 pm

generally speaking. Solidness, ability to cast down to 3/16, smoothness in casting and retrieving, compact frame.
I can’t speak for the alpha, but I have 4 new zillions and 6 Mets.

Both reels are very solid. The Met casts the lighter baits better for me. There’s also an OEM offering for a BFS spool for the Met. Don’t think there’s one for the zillion just yet.

The zillion is smoother than the Met. Noticeably so. But I don’t know if there’s another reel as smooth as the zillion. Some say the Steez CT but I had one of those too. I preferred the zillion.

The Met is a good bit more compact than the zillion. Just kinda the way it is for Daiwa these days. Doyo and Shimano have some of the most compact frames out there from my experiences.

Again though, I haven’t held a new alpha.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:20 pm

CFDoc wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:38 pm
montey wrote:

Both reels are very solid. The Met casts the lighter baits better for me. There’s also an OEM offering for a BFS spool for the Met. Don’t think there’s one for the zillion just yet.

The zillion is smoother than the Met. Noticeably so. But I don’t know if there’s another reel as smooth as the zillion. Some say the Steez CT but I had one of those too. I preferred the zillion.

The Met is a good bit more compact than the zillion. Just kinda the way it is for Daiwa these days. Doyo and Shimano have some of the most compact frames out there from my experiences.

Might have to try both, the Zillion has been WAY cheaper on JDM sites lately, like 290 area. I was surprised that the Metanium hangs with the Zillion in finesse casting. For me the Chronarch MGL did good too casting lighter lures, just ended up better as a MH bombing reel for FB jigs and Carolina rigs w/ 14lb Fluoro rather than 8-10 fluoro.

Scuba Scott
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Scuba Scott » Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:40 am

Agree with the Zillion and also the Steez A. Both are fantastic reels along with the Metanium 20.

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:34 pm

The 21 Zillion and the 20 Metanium are definitely rivals. If you value simplicity and versatility the Zillion wins. If you value maximum casting distance and an all metal frame…winner Metanium. There are of coarse other minor differences and pros/cons but really they are very similar in performance. I have both…and since I’ve upgraded the Metanium with a drag clicker I can’t decide which I like better.

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:37 pm

Personally, the biggest advantage that the Zillion has over the Metanium is that of the idiot proof brake system. The biggest advantage that the Metanium has over the Zillion is the all metal frame. IMHO

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:42 pm

Freddie wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:37 pm
Personally, the biggest advantage that the Zillion has over the Metanium is that of the idiot proof brake system. The biggest advantage that the Metanium has over the Zillion is the all metal frame. IMHO
I was pretty sure the Zillion G has aluminum side plates and frame. If you are referring to the plastic hood cover, yes that is not metal. Also the Metanium has less pieces to the frame, but the Zillion is metal and VERY solid. There is also a strange plastic piece on the Zillion, like a cover on the inner gear side, but again this is not a load bearing area.

The worry I have with buying a Metanium is from the review a guy gave on here, the metal washer/drag plate was deforming. I am interested to see how it does better with lighter lures, the new Zillion does amazing with them so for the Metanium 2020 to best it would be a feat.

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:33 pm

I'm not sure if you guys follow punch fishing on youtube but he has a lot of great high end tackle reviews. I was talking to him on IG and he said the zillion feels a lot more solid since it is all aluminum and does not have the hollow feel like magnesium and composite(i.e. chronarch MGL) tend to have.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:23 pm

CFDoc wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:38 pm
montey wrote:

The new Zillion utilizes a 34mm spool. There have been 34 mm spools around dating back to the early 2000s if not earlier. And to date there are over 30 compatible spools for the new Zillion.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:58 pm

What is this "met feels better because its all metal"? Zillion IS all metal (except the palming side plate, but this applies to all low profile reels). The frame, what matters most, is made out of metal on the zillion. The hood is made out of zion is not a negative. Not only does it excel in cold weather by not becoming an icicle, but its also lighter than metal. Not to mention that aluminum on the zillion is stronger than megnesium and the jdm Zillion is somehow even lighter than a full magnesium met2020. If you want your Zillion to cast as far or further than a met, you have literally over 20 years of 34mm diameter spools at your disposal to try. This reel has no disadvantages.