Okuma Hakai

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Okuma Hakai

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:39 am

LowRange wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:10 am
JewFish61 wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:18 am
LowRange wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:42 pm
Never mind. I thought these were centrifugal. Linear mag brake. Yawn. Might skip ok at max dial. I'll wait for the fire sale to see if I want one.
Why do you prefer centrifugal versus linear mag?
I don't like the braking profile. A cast is a sudden influx of spool speed followed by slow tapering off of spool speed as the bait sails away. Because braking is proportional to spool speed with linear mag brakes you end up with the reel feeling choked off at the end of the cast when set to not backlash early in the cast. When backing off on the brakes to get the bait to be more free at the end of the cast you then experience backlashes early in the cast. You just go around and around chasing your tail trying to make the impossible happen. You end having to go low on the mag dial and change your casting stroke into a smooth and slow stroke to not dump too much speed into the spool and have the low mag settings to offer a freer slight to bait. This works but is not my casting style and you leave some distance on the table by casting softly like this.

Centrifugal brake will brake early in the cast to control spool speed then fade away or even drop out entirely at the end of the cast offering the best of both worlds. Brake early to cast as hard as you like and then free spool, near free spool or significantly reduced braking at the end of the cast depending on the system and spool.
This is why Daiwa's Magforce non-linear variations are so popular, especially Magforce Z. The rotor is forced into the magnetic gap at high speeds, then retracts as the spools slows, in order to reduce braking force towards the end of the cast.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:17 pm

According to TW, the Hakai has centrifugal brakes, and still weighs 5.9 oz with a brass main gear.
"Providing quick access to the spool by simply sliding a lever on the side plate, the Okuma Hakai Casting Reels allow for quick spool tension changes and adjustment of the Velocity Control Centrifugal Braking System. "
The Hakai Finesse has magnetic brakes.

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:46 am

Have not handled a hakai obviously they havent been released but for a magnesium framed reel with a DRT designed spool at $120 during TW black friday sales seems like the best value reel ever. Most of the youtube reviewers have given it very favourable reviews.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:41 am

The finesse version doesn't seem half bad. Typical linear mag brake but so are the ZPI spools. I actually prefer lightweight linear mag spools for tossing baits to targets. Stick a lefty on a Phycho Stick and palm the reel while pitching or target casting and I imagine you could have a pretty nice jig and plastics combo. I might have to do this to test the waters before jumping in on a Steez on a Steez bottom contact lefty combo I have been contemplating.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:13 am

Firstoutfisher wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:46 am
Have not handled a hakai obviously they havent been released but for a magnesium framed reel with a DRT designed spool at $120 during TW black friday sales seems like the best value reel ever. Most of the youtube reviewers have given it very favourable reviews.
Dream Tackle Design spool. They were a company for a brief moment before the Ray's Studio spools came out at 1/3 the cost and they were done. Very similar spool designs too. I wonder if they were the same spools or if they had contracted to china to have their spools built and then got blow out by copies of their spools. Sorta like how GM built dust buster vans in China and the Chinese just made a copy of it for cheaper but rwd using a copy of a chrysler engine.
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdreamfishing.html
Attachments
0.jpg
0.jpg (35.7 KiB) Viewed 2926 times

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:34 pm

Anyone got it yet?

hmnginmn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hmnginmn » Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:28 pm

Don't sleep on Okuma. They make great reels. Their entry level baitrunners is good. The komodo is amazing for musky fishing and is built like a tank. I owned the old Okuma Serrano low profile reel (green one) and it was one of the furthest castings reels I've owned. I've only stopped buying them because they're very difficult to resell. The Hakai looks like the reel deal and should be a curado killer if it performs decent. Mg frame for sub 200 bucks? Unreal...
Long live the Jerkbait

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:33 pm

hmnginmn wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:28 pm
Don't sleep on Okuma. They make great reels. Their entry level baitrunners is good. The komodo is amazing for musky fishing and is built like a tank. I owned the old Okuma Serrano low profile reel (green one) and it was one of the furthest castings reels I've owned. I've only stopped buying them because they're very difficult to resell. The Hakai looks like the reel deal and should be a curado killer if it performs decent. Mg frame for sub 200 bucks? Unreal...
If I wasn't such a Daiwa snob, I'd probably hit that. Definitely looks and sounds promising. Should have gone with a different thumb bar though.

Jbc88
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jbc88 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:56 pm

I bought it during some sale on tacklewarehouse for close to $130. Just want to try something different out and since this reel did caught my attention I decided to give it a try. So we'll see how it performs.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:58 am

hmnginmn wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:28 pm
My 1st ever magnesium reel was $200 new. It was a Concept KP. Took it out of the box and spun the handle once. Put it right back in the box. It was very buzzy. This Okuma reel has brass gears but even if it does turn into a coffee grinder as long as it works and is affordable then that's not al bad. It when expensive reels or affordable heavy ones get buzzy is when I get upset. I kinda expect a magnesium frame sub $200 reel to struggle a bit with smoothness.
Last edited by LowRange on Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:42 am

I actually kinda want one of these and a psycho stick. I want to test the waters with a left hand light weight rod and reel either dedicated Senko or bottom contact stick. The test the waters would be to palm the reel while casting and pitching. This isn't something I normally do but I can see the appeal when tossing baits short distances at targets and not having to switch between casting then palming. I also think a light weight spool with a linear mag brake would be beneficial when lightly tossing baits. For a high end stick something like a Steez on a Steez rod or PA would be what I go with but that's some $. A Hakai finesse or pitching and the 72H Psycho stick with the little short grip that looks like it's meant for only holding onto when palming the reel looks appealing for under $400.

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:49 pm

LowRange wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:42 am
I actually kinda want one of these and a psycho stick. I want to test the waters with a left hand light weight rod and reel either dedicated Senko or bottom contact stick. The test the waters would be to palm the reel while casting and pitching. This isn't something I normally do but I can see the appeal when tossing baits short distances at targets and not having to switch between casting then palming. I also think a light weight spool with a linear mag brake would be beneficial when lightly tossing baits. For a high end stick something like a Steez on a Steez rod or PA would be what I go with but that's some $. A Hakai finesse or pitching and the 72H Psycho stick with the little short grip that looks like it's meant for only holding onto when palming the reel looks appealing for under $400.
I was very tempted to order both when tacklewarehouse had them for 30%, $120 for a magnesium framed baitcaster and $160 for a rod with SIC guides? Seemed like the bargain of a lifetime. Couldn't pull the trigger and by the time I decided I wanted it they were sold out. Gonna keep an eye out for more sales and I may pick up a spinning and baitcasting combo and just use them as loaners! or when kayak fishing rough waters. Wish okuma would come out with a mag spinning reel at the same price point!

Shie
Angler
Angler

Post by Shie » Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:12 pm

Anyone end up picking one of these up?

I grabbed one last year when it was $169 (instead of $199) and it's worked well for me. Want to hear some other perspectives though before I pull the trigger on another one. Magnesium frame and brass gear for under 6oz is the main appeal to me, but the tatula sv103 looks nice and is also slightly cheaper.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:03 pm

goldrod wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:35 pm
I saw the reel break down on utube
Seems SOLID. I’ve used their spinning reels and thought they were amazing
I used to take them on deployments all the time and never had any problems with the reel at all.
I vote that you should give it a go.
Okuma is one of the few companies that I have no problems trying out.
I've got an couple of the Helios Airs and a regular Helios. I like them. Especially the Air. Excellent distance with less backlashing problems than on some of my other reels. Another unpopular reel I like is the older Pflueger Patriarch XTs. Casts similar to the Air in that I get good distance...plus I can run the brakes on the XT lower than about any other reel I own.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:29 pm

This is the only Okuma reel that has ever interested me. But i am not willing to spend more than $100 for an Okuma when Daiwa and Shimano are a thing.