Okuma Hakai

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Okuma Hakai

Post by sarcazmo » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:42 pm

Anyone else intrigued by this reel? 5.9oz with a 9.5g Dream Tackle Design spool for under $200 bucks sounds pretty awesome.

Only thing I dont like are the knobs.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Okuma Hakai

Post by SSS » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:45 pm

Was kinda impressed cuz i don't expect anything worth buying from Okuma, but i am really not liking the paint job on this reel. It looks exactly like those cheap $30 aliexpress paint jobs.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:17 am

Sounds legit for $170. I'll have to keep my eyes our for sales on this thing. If I can nab for $150 on sale I'll take one for the Kayak to go on one of my ML.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:33 am

Hard to pay that money when a proven Shimano or Daiwa offers the same. I would drop the extra 30 on a Curado MGL easily. Maybe I am just brand tricked... I recently learned even premium reels from the big 2 can go bad, maybe I should branch out...

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:52 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:33 am
I recently learned even premium reels from the big 2 can go bad, maybe I should branch out...
You should. The Daiwa/Shimano gap between the competitors in the mid-range market is not what it used to be.

The premium market is still heavily owned by them, but I've torn down and used/abused a lot of mid ranged reels over the past 7-10 years. There's a whole lot of equal out there. And when it comes to customer service, the big guys can get smoked in that dept.

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sarcazmo » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:08 am

CFDoc wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:52 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
I recently learned even premium reels from the big 2 can go bad, maybe I should branch out...
You should. The Daiwa/Shimano gap between the competitors in the mid-range market is not what it used to be.

The premium market is still heavily owned by them, but I've torn down and used/abused a lot of mid ranged reels over the past 7-10 years. There's a whole lot of equal out there. And when it comes to customer service, the big guys can get smoked in that dept.
I have to agree. I've recently purchased 3 quantum reels. A smoke s3 pt, and two accurist pts. They perform great! I got them each for about 70 bucks brand new. I don't think I can get a daiwa or shimano for 70 bucks that compares. (And I LOVE the slx platform).

Also have to agree with the customer service comment. I called quantum just to ask a couple questions and they picked up the phone and I had a very pleasant conversation. Seems like it would be easy to get parts or service with them.

Innovation is always good for us consumers right? If theyre going to pack all these 'premium' features in a sub 200 dollar reel it might force the others to follow up.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:03 am

This is the reason I have cheaper Lew's and Abu rods. They will normally send a new one straight up, very quick, very good customer service. My St. Croix is fine and waiting to see if TFO will help from cork degrading on a rod.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:42 pm

Never mind. I thought these were centrifugal. Linear mag brake. Yawn. Might skip ok at max dial. I'll wait for the fire sale to see if I want one.

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:50 pm

I'm going to pick up one fo shizzle...too cheap not to. Surprised it didnt win the casting reel category at Icast.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:35 pm

I saw the reel break down on utube
Seems SOLID. I’ve used their spinning reels and thought they were amazing
I used to take them on deployments all the time and never had any problems with the reel at all.
I vote that you should give it a go.
Okuma is one of the few companies that I have no problems trying out.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:40 am

goldrod wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:35 pm
I used to take them on deployments all the time and never had any problems with the reel at all.
Can you link the breakdown?

I never used anything from okuma but this might be my first.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:33 am

rando wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:40 am
goldrod wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:35 pm
Can you link the breakdown?

I never used anything from okuma but this might be my first.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSlYlayO4x4[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hiZmSEwjnI[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvGlym8p2ng[/youtube]

I guess breakdown is not the most accurate word, i've just been watching all the videos I can find on the reel
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

JewFish61
Angler
Angler

Post by JewFish61 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:11 am

CFDoc wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:52 am
DirtyD64 wrote:

I can comment on customer service of “the big guys,” namely Shimano. Turtled my yak and took me 4 days of going back to spot and swimming to find my rod and reel. Finally found it, sent reel to Shimano asking for a checkup, relube, etc. First I get a call from a customer service rep who needed my credit card number and also just wanted to explain how their repair service works. Lovely person. 10 minutes later I get a call from the reel technician. Basically wanted to know exactly what happened to the reel, how long it was under water, etc. As he’s talking to me and looking at the reel, he notices a few scrapes on the front section of the reel where the line comes out. Says “ooh that’s gonna rust over time,” offers to switch out that plate section for an extra $5! Total repair cost $30, had it back in hand in a few weeks, reel works perfectly. Will I ever try other brands? Probably, out of curiosity (Daiwa Hakai?) But I am a Shimano customer for life after this experience.

JewFish61
Angler
Angler

Post by JewFish61 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:18 am

LowRange wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:42 pm
Never mind. I thought these were centrifugal. Linear mag brake. Yawn. Might skip ok at max dial. I'll wait for the fire sale to see if I want one.
Why do you prefer centrifugal versus linear mag?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:10 am

JewFish61 wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:18 am
LowRange wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:42 pm
Why do you prefer centrifugal versus linear mag?
I don't like the braking profile. A cast is a sudden influx of spool speed followed by slow tapering off of spool speed as the bait sails away. Because braking is proportional to spool speed with linear mag brakes you end up with the reel feeling choked off at the end of the cast when set to not backlash early in the cast. When backing off on the brakes to get the bait to be more free at the end of the cast you then experience backlashes early in the cast. You just go around and around chasing your tail trying to make the impossible happen. You end having to go low on the mag dial and change your casting stroke into a smooth and slow stroke to not dump too much speed into the spool and have the low mag settings to offer a freer slight to bait. This works but is not my casting style and you leave some distance on the table by casting softly like this.

Centrifugal brake will brake early in the cast to control spool speed then fade away or even drop out entirely at the end of the cast offering the best of both worlds. Brake early to cast as hard as you like and then free spool, near free spool or significantly reduced braking at the end of the cast depending on the system and spool.