SV SPOOL FOR DAIWA GARUDA BAITCAST REEL

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
tditox4
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

SV SPOOL FOR DAIWA GARUDA BAITCAST REEL

Post by tditox4 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:38 am

Does anyone know if there is an sv spool that fits in the garuda? If so, what model and number. TIA.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: SV SPOOL FOR DAIWA GARUDA BAITCAST REEL

Post by LowRange » Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:20 pm

Coastal TW SV maybe? Note sure on the diameters on those. I'm thinking its the same size as the regular Tatula spools. Another option would be the Ray's Studio Long cast spool. Despite the name it is a shallow finesse spool. Both are Air Brake but one is a 150 capacity deep SV and the other more of a distance tuned finesse spool. What's the objective here? Light weight baits? Skipping? Bomb casts?
Attachments
s-l400 (1).jpg
s-l400 (1).jpg (27.1 KiB) Viewed 1882 times

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:37 pm

LowRange wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:20 pm
Coastal TW SV maybe? Note sure on the diameters on those. I'm thinking its the same size as the regular Tatula spools. Another option would be the Ray's Studio Long cast spool. Despite the name it is a shallow finesse spool. Both are Air Brake but one is a 150 capacity deep SV and the other more of a distance tuned finesse spool. What's the objective here? Light weight baits? Skipping? Bomb casts?
These supposedly bomb, I would like to get one for my original Tatula Type R. Think they are under $40 now. There are a few versions for the old Zillion TWS, but no one ever tried the AMO version.

tditox4
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tditox4 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:54 pm

Thanks to both of you for the feedback. More opinions welcome. Garuda reel is on the way.

tditox4
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tditox4 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:56 pm

Thanks to both of you for the feedback. More opinions welcome. Garuda reel is on the way.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:21 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:37 pm
LowRange wrote:
These supposedly bomb, I would like to get one for my original Tatula Type R. Think they are under $40 now. There are a few versions for the old Zillion TWS, but no one ever tried the AMO version.
The Long Cast? The ones for the old Tatula are a little different. I have one on my old Type R. They don't have the thin inductor and the spool isn't ported. It is a pretty good caster. I can cast an unweighted fluke type bait on 12# flouro further than anything else I have tried. Matches my Casitas MGL witb braid in distance with flouro. Definitely out casts any SV spools I have but the skipping isn't nearly as easy. It's a little fast and needs a bit of spool tension and good technique. It will punish mistakes. The ones for the Tatula CT/19 100 are basically deeper versions of their BFS spools. That's great becuse their BFS spools are already distance tuned BFS for small compact baits but are easily spooled when trying to throw even 1/8 oz. The deeper BFS spools are more of a "turn your Tatula into a finesse caster for bass baits" type spools rather than a distance spool. Just not enough capacity.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:15 am

LowRange wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:21 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
LowRange wrote:
The Long Cast? The ones for the old Tatula are a little different. I have one on my old Type R. They don't have the thin inductor and the spool isn't ported. It is a pretty good caster. I can cast an unweighted fluke type bait on 12# flouro further than anything else I have tried. Matches my Casitas MGL witb braid in distance with flouro. Definitely out casts any SV spools I have but the skipping isn't nearly as easy. It's a little fast and needs a bit of spool tension and good technique. It will punish mistakes. The ones for the Tatula CT/19 100 are basically deeper versions of their BFS spools. That's great becuse their BFS spools are already distance tuned BFS for small compact baits but are easily spooled when trying to throw even 1/8 oz. The deeper BFS spools are more of a "turn your Tatula into a finesse caster for bass baits" type spools rather than a distance spool. Just not enough capacity.
You think one of the original Tatula spools would handle 17lb to 20lb fluoro work??? I considered getting one as a backup spool, my stock runs 50lb 832 for bigger jigs and swimbaits. I was trying small A Rigs and big keitechs on it, but think I need a stouter swimbait rod..

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:23 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:15 am
LowRange wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:21 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
LowRange wrote:
You think one of the original Tatula spools would handle 17lb to 20lb fluoro work??? I considered getting one as a backup spool, my stock runs 50lb 832 for bigger jigs and swimbaits. I was trying small A Rigs and big keitechs on it, but think I need a stouter swimbait rod..
I used mine with 16# for a while. The ones for the old Tatulas have plenty of capacity. They are pretty much an SV spool with a stiffer spring swapped in and built by Chinease. Good performance and a good all around spool for a M or MH rod. For the bigger stuff the stock spool is fine. I'm not sure what advantage one of these would offer over a stock spool bombing a frog for example. I like mine with 12# flouro throwing flukes, senkos, 3/8 oz dark sleepers, up to 1/2 oz squarebills and jerkbaits. Nice long casts while still keeping the flouro tame and some skipping ability with good technique and a smidge of spool tension.
Attachments
Hd0f0870282344be5be7db63ea8ae34ecs.jpg_q50.jpg
Hd0f0870282344be5be7db63ea8ae34ecs.jpg_q50.jpg (43.81 KiB) Viewed 1769 times

tditox4
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tditox4 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:02 am

LowRange wrote:
I had bought an extra blue coastal sv tw spool from Brian at TTT a while ago. I got the reel yesterday and that spool fits. Thanks for your expertise and knowledge.