Steez TW ticking sound/vibration

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Steez TW ticking sound/vibration

Post by SSS » Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:51 pm

Yestersay, i spent at least 5 hours on my Steez tw 7.1 inspecting every single thing in it, and i just cannot find what is wrong with it. Turning the handle with no load, its perfectly smooth. As soon as there's any kind of load, even applying some slight pressure on the sides of the spool with your fingers, it gives this very slight ticking vibration which you can also faintly hear when you put your ear closer to the reel.

Inspected all bearing, including the roller bearing, and they're all perfect.

The whole line guide assembly is also in perfect condition, and even without the assembly being installed on the reel, i am still getting this ticking vibration.

Put the gear set into my zillion1000, and the Zillion's gear set into the steez to see if there's any changes, and nope, the steez is still getting the tick while the zillion with the steez's gear set is perfectly smooth, so i don't believe anything is wrong with the gear set of the reel.

The most frustrating thing on a Daiwa reel that i've ever had. Has anyone had this thing happening and were able to solve the issue? Spent a good amount of time scanning to web to see if others have an answer, and have seen people having this ticking issue, but it seems like nobody has an answer to it. :shock: I really don't want to abandom the Steez TW line since its one of my all time favs :crying:

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Steez TW ticking sound/vibration

Post by Real Pudd legend » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:47 pm

Bryan (Pikeroadbassin) has fixed Daiwa’s with the elusive tick. Might want to see what he says about it.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:58 pm

Real Pudd legend wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:47 pm
Bryan (Pikeroadbassin) has fixed Daiwa’s with the elusive tick. Might want to see what he says about it.
Lets hope he comes by. Want to use the reel so bad, but that tick is more annoying than a buzzy gear set :oops:

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:08 pm

That has happened to me in many daiwa unfortunately, it eventually turns into a rough gear set in the future. I’ve even had Ian shields tune a reel and he was unable to diagnose the issue as well.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:39 pm

Real Pudd legend wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:08 pm
That has happened to me in many daiwa unfortunately, it eventually turns into a rough gear set in the future. I’ve even had Ian shields tune a reel and he was unable to diagnose the issue as well.
Well that is crazy. Its as if the frame was poorly made or something? Hard to believe that is the case.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:52 pm

I have no idea but all the ticking sounds I got would only be better if I switched spools. Sometimes it might do the trick or slightly dampen the tick. Underload it became louder and more pronounced, super annoying that’s for sure.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:11 pm

Real Pudd legend wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:52 pm
I have no idea but all the ticking sounds I got would only be better if I switched spools. Sometimes it might do the trick or slightly dampen the tick. Underload it became louder and more pronounced, super annoying that’s for sure.
Tried like 6 spools, and did notice it being being more dampened on 2, but you can still feel it.

filthyPhil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by filthyPhil » Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:51 am

Bought a Steez A and SV both brand new this spring and both had the click/tick. Sold both on marketplace for what I had in them and probably wont buy another daiwa. It's a shame, I had wanted a steez so bad for years but my experience with the two ruined me on the whole brand. You shouldn't have to switch gears or spools on a $500 reel to get it to perform normally.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:55 am

Agreed, fortunately I have 3 right now a ct, sv tw and the new limited that are perfect so hopefully it stays that way. They are wonderful when normal :).

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:06 am

I have a Fuego CT thar does this really bad. I should tear it down and see what it is. I assume it's a crunchy bearing. Bearings can seem fin in hand but do weird things under load.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:09 am

filthyPhil wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:51 am
Bought a Steez A and SV both brand new this spring and both had the click/tick. Sold both on marketplace for what I had in them and probably wont buy another daiwa. It's a shame, I had wanted a steez so bad for years but my experience with the two ruined me on the whole brand. You shouldn't have to switch gears or spools on a $500 reel to get it to perform normally.
What you may have been hearing is the spool pin clicking around in the pinion yoke. With this applying pressure to the spool and turning the handle makes it go away. I agree that is is a nuisance. All my Daiwas do it. It's not something that happens on the water. It's still annoying to hold a $500 marvel in your hand only to turn the handle and here click click click are you crank on it.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:20 am

LowRange wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:06 am
I have a Fuego CT thar does this really bad. I should tear it down and see what it is. I assume it's a crunchy bearing. Bearings can seem fin in hand but do weird things under load.
In my case, it is not a bearing guaranteed. The reel is pretty much like new, and when testing all the bearings, i did apply some pressure on them when testing em one by one to see if they become crunchy with some load. All perfectly smooth.

filthyPhil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by filthyPhil » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:40 am

LowRange wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:09 am
filthyPhil wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:51 am
What you may have been hearing is the spool pin clicking around in the pinion yoke. With this applying pressure to the spool and turning the handle makes it go away. I agree that is is a nuisance. All my Daiwas do it. It's not something that happens on the water. It's still annoying to hold a $500 marvel in your hand only to turn the handle and here click click click are you crank on it.
Swapped bearings and spool pins to no avail and finally said screw it out of frustration and got rid of them. Left a really bad taste in my mouth seeing as how the older TDZ and Zillions were such great reels. I will say the clicking didn't affect the performance but was an annoyance issue. I hope daiwa gets this issue resolved for future models but after my experience I will stick with shimano and lews for the foreseeable future.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:39 pm

I have my Steez A at Tackle Trap for the same thing, mine was not audible though, just a faint tap when retrieving a lure. In hand, the reel was butter smooth. I realized something was wrong when I got the new Zillion, also my Steez A will not do it every single time. Did it with the stock Steez A spool and did it with the Zillion SV TW spool. Once they call me I will let everyone know if I find out what the issue was. I plan on selling it if the issue will not resolve or it would take too much $ to fix it. Just prefer to have another new Zillion or try the Alphas SV TW.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:48 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:39 pm
I have my Steez A at Tackle Trap for the same thing, mine was not audible though, just a faint tap when retrieving a lure. In hand, the reel was butter smooth. I realized something was wrong when I got the new Zillion, also my Steez A will not do it every single time. Did it with the stock Steez A spool and did it with the Zillion SV TW spool. Once they call me I will let everyone know if I find out what the issue was. I plan on selling it if the issue will not resolve or it would take too much $ to fix it. Just prefer to have another new Zillion or try the Alphas SV TW.
Same thing as on mine. At first, it wasn't doing it on every cast, but now its on every cast. I hope TT finds the issue. It will save many.