Steez TW ticking sound/vibration

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Steez TW ticking sound/vibration

Post by SSS » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:50 pm

freelancer27 wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:35 am
Ok, no worries.

Do you have a 7.1:1 gear ratio?

Since you checked already each possible bearing. Did you check item 98 ( not sure what its called)?
Its happening with the 7.1 ratio and the 6.3 ratio from my zillion1000 when i install those gears inside the steez. For the roller bearing, yea, its one of the first things i verified and even cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:09 pm

SSS wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:50 pm
freelancer27 wrote:
Ok, no worries.

Since you checked already each possible bearing. Did you check item 98 ( not sure what its called)?
Its happening with the 7.1 ratio and the 6.3 ratio from my zillion1000 when i install those gears inside the steez. For the roller bearing, yea, its one of the first things i verified and even cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner.
Did the amount of clicks change from seven to six when you change the gear set?

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:05 am

freelancer27 wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:09 pm
SSS wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:50 pm
freelancer27 wrote:
Ok, no worries.

Did the amount of clicks change from seven to six when you change the gear set?
I did not count on the 6 ratio, but when i was on the 6, sometimes the clicking sound wasn't present at all, and if it does happen, you could re engage the thumbar a few times and it might go away for that retrieve, but then come back randomly on the next cast or a few casts later.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:21 am

Hm, i think we need a video to get a better idea. This one sounds for sure tricky!

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:45 pm

Good news everyone. Called Tackle Trap and got to talk with Bryan for a second. My reel has been gone for a while, but they are waiting on parts, wanted to clear that up first. They were fast and he broke it down to diagnose very quickly. I just had not called to check in a while with the baby due in a few weeks and my shoulder surgery now. This all being said he thinks the issue is residing in the levelwind, the one spot I could not check. I just did not have the ability or tool to get the clip off. He thinks it needs an extra or different washer to prevent the actual worm from moving. The tick seems to perfectly coincide with the T-wing tracking back and forth. This made me feel so much better, and I hope the part they are waiting for fixes the reel I assume it will, this was such a faint (yet prevalent) tick and the reel was so incredibly smooth still. So more than likely, I would look toward your levelwind. If you CAN rule out the levelwind, it must be a different issue than I had experienced.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:32 pm

Nice! Congrats and fingers crossed for your surgery and baby!

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:33 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:45 pm
Good news everyone. Called Tackle Trap and got to talk with Bryan for a second. My reel has been gone for a while, but they are waiting on parts, wanted to clear that up first. They were fast and he broke it down to diagnose very quickly. I just had not called to check in a while with the baby due in a few weeks and my shoulder surgery now. This all being said he thinks the issue is residing in the levelwind, the one spot I could not check. I just did not have the ability or tool to get the clip off. He thinks it needs an extra or different washer to prevent the actual worm from moving. The tick seems to perfectly coincide with the T-wing tracking back and forth. This made me feel so much better, and I hope the part they are waiting for fixes the reel I assume it will, this was such a faint (yet prevalent) tick and the reel was so incredibly smooth still. So more than likely, I would look toward your levelwind. If you CAN rule out the levelwind, it must be a different issue than I had experienced.
Its not the leveling (in my case). I have completely removed the whole levelwind assembly, and it still did the tick. At this point, the only thing i can think of is gears. Be it the pinion gear, main gear or both. Even tho they look perfect, and are very smooth under load, i just cannot think of anything else being the issue.
Last edited by SSS on Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:16 am

SSS wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:33 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
Its not the leveling (in my case). I have completely removed the whole levelwind assembly, and it still did the tick. At this point, the only thing i can thing of is gears. Be it the pinion gear, main gear or both. Even tho they look perfect, and are very smooth under load, i just cannot think of anything else being the issue.
Have you replaced every bearing? That's what I would do.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:34 am

LowRange wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:16 am
SSS wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
Its not the leveling (in my case). I have completely removed the whole levelwind assembly, and it still did the tick. At this point, the only thing i can thing of is gears. Be it the pinion gear, main gear or both. Even tho they look perfect, and are very smooth under load, i just cannot think of anything else being the issue.
I haven't (these black bearings inside the steez are expensive. to replace them all it would cost over $100), but i have tested them all, and they're perfectly smooth.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:42 am

SSS wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:34 am
LowRange wrote:
SSS wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
I haven't (these black bearings inside the steez are expensive. to replace them all it would cost over $100), but i have tested them all, and they're perfectly smooth.
I would start bearing swapping one at a time until the problem goes away.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:11 am

LowRange wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:42 am
SSS wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:34 am
LowRange wrote:
SSS wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
I would start bearing swapping one at a time until the problem goes away.
Will install all the zillion1000 bearings in it and see how it goes, but i doubt they're the problem. I have had bearing issues in other reels before, and as soon as the bearing is done, you can very quickly tell by testing them. The ones inside the steez felt like they're new.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:34 pm

SSS wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
Its not the leveling (in my case). I have completely removed the whole levelwind assembly, and it still did the tick. At this point, the only thing i can think of is gears. Be it the pinion gear, main gear or both. Even tho they look perfect, and are very smooth under load, i just cannot think of anything else being the issue.
Have you checked the plastic gears behind the main gear that run the levelwind? Did you remove those? I know some of what I am asking is contradicting (they might have been part of what you removed), but I am just trying to help. I got a magnifying glass and checked every tooth of the main gear and pinion. Looked perfect. I got embarrassed before getting news from TTrap and thought maybe it was my handle and knobs. Worried I tightened them too much. It is a very weird problem. I will be so happy if I get the reel back and the issue is gone. If not I will have to sell it. Didn't have short term disability insurance so this surgery/injury has caused a major bind with a baby on the way.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:58 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:34 pm
SSS wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
Have you checked the plastic gears behind the main gear that run the levelwind? Did you remove those? I know some of what I am asking is contradicting (they might have been part of what you removed), but I am just trying to help. I got a magnifying glass and checked every tooth of the main gear and pinion. Looked perfect. I got embarrassed before getting news from TTrap and thought maybe it was my handle and knobs. Worried I tightened them too much. It is a very weird problem. I will be so happy if I get the reel back and the issue is gone. If not I will have to sell it. Didn't have short term disability insurance so this surgery/injury has caused a major bind with a baby on the way.
Yea, i did check the plastic gears with a magnifying glass as well. Its the strangest of things, because absolutely everything inside the reel looks perfect.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:36 am

Removed all the original bearings, including the roller bearing, and installed the zillion1000 bearings. No difference at all. Same ticking vibration and very faint sound when the spool is under load. It is not the spool either because i have tried at least 4 different spools :|

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:05 am

I would just keep parts swapping. I would do the handle shaft/crank shaft next.