Smoothest gear grease.

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Smoothest gear grease.

Post by dragon1 » Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:25 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:44 pm
Is anyone actually looking at the lubricants their using and researching the base carrier and the anti wear packages involved?
The blue Hiro Seiko is Mineral Oil +Molybdenum Disulfide. The gray is Organic Molybdenum and Synthetic Ester.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:29 pm

SSS wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:37 am
dragon1 wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:05 pm
I'm going to be thoroughly testing Hiro Seiko RC grease this season...blue tube for metal gears and gray for metal mechanisms. Also using German made Maexler ball bearing oil and driveshaft and gears oil.

These are RC centric lubes and oils, but my local buddy that owns an RC hobby shop and raceway has told me that these products have been beaten on hard for years and always stand up to the abuse and rigors of RC racing.

I'll report back, but initially the results are very promising.
Smoothness is not important in an rc car. Bearings are also spinning at much faster speeds than what you'd see inside a reel. It might protect the parts like every grease, but i doubt that it'll be smooth under load.

As for the thread, i just got the Daiwa 104 grease earlier in the season, and while i am not seeing daiwa suggesting it to be used on gears, i have been using it on my 21 zil gears, and it has been excellent.
I'm thinking you are right, the three reels I have used that have these greases in them, are very consistent and smooth, but not butter smooth as before. The bearing oil however, has been excellent.

I'm going to try some Deuthlon next...the greases and oils that come in the starter kit.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:05 am

dragon1 wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:25 pm
Slazmo wrote:
Is anyone actually looking at the lubricants their using and researching the base carrier and the anti wear packages involved?
The blue Hiro Seiko is Mineral Oil +Molybdenum Disulfide. The gray is Organic Molybdenum and Synthetic Ester.
Research molybdenum disulfide and saltwater before using.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:09 am

Slazmo wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:05 am
dragon1 wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:25 pm
Slazmo wrote:
Research molybdenum disulfide and saltwater before using.
Will do, howvever I only use in FW here in Tennessee.