Cerakote Reels

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Cerakote Reels

Post by goldrod » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:26 pm

I've reached out to a person whom i was told cerakoted reels and have not heard from them
I was looking for some others and if you have someone whose done work, please let me know.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Cerakote Reels

Post by SSS » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:36 pm

Have sent one last year. Absolute nightmare.

Before sending him the reel, i have asked all the info, such as the turn around time, if he sandblasts all the piece before cerakoting, price, what kind of cerakote paint he does, etc. Told me the turn around time is 2 weeks. Sent him in the reel, he waits about two months without contacting me. I sent him a mail asking what's up, and he tells me it should be done by the end of the week. Next week he sends me a message saying his doggo munched 2 of my pieces :doh: Not his fault, but why ignore the customer for two months, and then say that it will be done by the end of the week when the pieces are all destroyed? He covered the cost and i bought the parts from PLAT, which took a while but fine, can live with that. Sent his the parts and he tells me that it will be done as soon as they arrive. That was like early December. I contact him over a week later, and he tells me his place is too cold for a cerakote job ](*,)

I had to wait until April for him to cerakote my parts. WTF! Then, in early to mid April, he completes the job and sends me the parts. I got em in mail and its a complete disaster. Firstly, there was a bunch of solvent pop, which ruins the finish completely. Secondly, because this was a candy color, you're supposed to apply it over a black base, and the guy did some really poor coverage with the candy color which made it so you could see the base color through the red'ish candy color this was supposed to be painted with. Then, the best of it all, is that he did not sandblast anything... he just applies cerakote on top of the original paint. Told me at least 4 times that he sandblasts all his work, but didn't in my case (the paint was literally flaking off on the anodized pieces such as the star drag because cerakote can't hold to anodized parts). As soon as i find out, i sent him everything back and he promisses do redo. I wait a month after the parts arrive. Send him a mail, he tells me his clear just ran out, so he needs to order some. Three weeks later, he tells me its still hasn't arrived. Then he tells me that he is very busy and that my reel will be done as quickly as possible. We're late May to early June and he tells me that he can't do the job because something happened (never told me what).

I originally sent him the reel in late July to early September, and got the reel in mid June next year, and nothing was done to it because he ruined it. Absolutely pathetic and it annoys me still. Watch out for these "cerakote certfied" people that are there to make a quick buck and nothing else.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:21 pm

SSS wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:36 pm
Have sent one last year. Absolute nightmare.

Before sending him the reel, i have asked all the info, such as the turn around time, if he sandblasts all the piece before cerakoting, price, what kind of cerakote paint he does, etc. Told me the turn around time is 2 weeks. Sent him in the reel, he waits about two months without contacting me. I sent him a mail asking what's up, and he tells me it should be done by the end of the week. Next week he sends me a message saying his doggo munched 2 of my pieces :doh: Not his fault, but why ignore the customer for two months, and then say that it will be done by the end of the week when the pieces are all destroyed? He covered the cost and i bought the parts from PLAT, which took a while but fine, can live with that. Sent his the parts and he tells me that it will be done as soon as they arrive. That was like early December. I contact him over a week later, and he tells me his place is too cold for a cerakote job ](*,)

I had to wait until April for him to cerakote my parts. WTF! Then, in early to mid April, he completes the job and sends me the parts. I got em in mail and its a complete disaster. Firstly, there was a bunch of solvent pop, which ruins the finish completely. Secondly, because this was a candy color, you're supposed to apply it over a black base, and the guy did some really poor coverage with the candy color which made it so you could see the base color through the red'ish candy color this was supposed to be painted with. Then, the best of it all, is that he did not sandblast anything... he just applies cerakote on top of the original paint. Told me at least 4 times that he sandblasts all his work, but didn't in my case (the paint was literally flaking off on the anodized pieces such as the star drag because cerakote can't hold to anodized parts). As soon as i find out, i sent him everything back and he promisses do redo. I wait a month after the parts arrive. Send him a mail, he tells me his clear just ran out, so he needs to order some. Three weeks later, he tells me its still hasn't arrived. Then he tells me that he is very busy and that my reel will be done as quickly as possible. We're late May to early June and he tells me that he can't do the job because something happened (never told me what).

I originally sent him the reel in late July to early September, and got the reel in mid June next year, and nothing was done to it because he ruined it. Absolutely pathetic and it annoys me still. Watch out for these "cerakote certfied" people that are there to make a quick buck and nothing else.
Thanks Man.. sorry for your pain but thanks for the heads up.. cause Im a nice guy until im not. and a situation like that would pivot me to the NOT side..
I have been going through some stuff and tbh, the Daiwa Z limited i have coming I should probably get rid of as well as my covid airy red..My original idea was to cerakote the Daiwa Z limited. I thought that would be a neat gig. But honestly with my Power Versatile rod, My Valkyrie 7'1" and 7'6" I really don't see a reason to buy a Swimbait specific rod.. If I am not mistaken Cal said that the yellow and black Z only came in left hand so I had considered doing that to the reel. I just thought it would be cool..
Considering the Money invested, the more responsible thing to do would be just to cerakote the reel or sell it.

Thanks again Sir..
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

SAGISI CUST0MS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SAGISI CUST0MS » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:04 am

I’m a Certified Cerakote applicator and have my own business coating full time. You probably seen my work around. I tested the waters for reel coating and decided it’s not something I want to offer to the public. For the amount of time I put in per reel I would need to charge more than I would even want to pay for a reel to be coated for myself. Decided just to keep it for a fun side thing for my personal projects.

When looking for a coater for reels make sure to ask a lot
Of questions on their prep. Best to find someone who fishes themself cous they will understand what needs to be done to do it correctly. Where they need to mask, plug and spray on the lighter side. Or coating plastics and metals and curing at the right temps to get the sheen/color to match across different surfaces.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:54 pm

I guess nobody has cerakoted reels on TT :shock:

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:28 pm

SSS wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:54 pm
I guess nobody has cerakoted reels on TT :shock:
The majority of reel painters hung it up. They were getting overwhelmed, and ran across the same issues that Sagasi described. The best option is to try to locate someone local and ask a lot of questions. The unfortunate thing is that most of these places want quite a bit of money to do it, especially Cerakote work. Some quotes were North of 200 dollars.

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:00 pm

That doesn’t surprise me in the least. Just a basic AR upper/lower/handguard is $150 locally by a reputable shop. Those are very NOT intricate compared to reels. I’ll ask the next time I’m in there, what their thoughts on a reel are.

SAGISI CUST0MS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SAGISI CUST0MS » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:53 pm

DrTrevorkian wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:00 pm
That doesn’t surprise me in the least. Just a basic AR upper/lower/handguard is $150 locally by a reputable shop. Those are very NOT intricate compared to reels. I’ll ask the next time I’m in there, what their thoughts on a reel are.
Its tough to take on work that requires so much attention to detail when you have overhead to cover without billing your time correctly. Say for example a disassembled upper/lower/handguard, although it uses more material then say a reel, we can have it prepped and in the oven curing in less than a hour. For the past year I closed my books for camo/custom patterns for the same reason. Its great to showcase that you can do that type of work but its not what keeps the doors open imo.

SAGISI CUST0MS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SAGISI CUST0MS » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:22 pm

Cerakote is a great finish. I personally like using it on the reel frame. Its corrosion resistance, durability at how thin it is cant be beat. For the sideplates and gear cover I use automotive primer, base and 2k clear.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:19 pm

SAGISI CUST0MS wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:22 pm
Cerakote is a great finish. I personally like using it on the reel frame. Its corrosion resistance, durability at how thin it is cant be beat. For the sideplates and gear cover I use automotive primer, base and 2k clear.

That reel looks familiar :lol: Great work and the finish is holding up fine.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:39 pm

It’s beautiful

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:17 am

SAGISI CUST0MS wrote:

Any reasons why you're not using cerakote with the pigments?

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:56 am

SAGISI CUST0MS wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:53 pm
DrTrevorkian wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:00 pm
Its tough to take on work that requires so much attention to detail when you have overhead to cover without billing your time correctly. Say for example a disassembled upper/lower/handguard, although it uses more material then say a reel, we can have it prepped and in the oven curing in less than a hour. For the past year I closed my books for camo/custom patterns for the same reason. Its great to showcase that you can do that type of work but its not what keeps the doors open imo.
Oh absolutely! I should have explained better! That was my whole point👍

SAGISI CUST0MS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SAGISI CUST0MS » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:39 pm

SSS wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:17 am
SAGISI CUST0MS wrote:

Any reasons why you're not using cerakote with the pigments?
I use pigments in Cerakote MC-160 clear all the time. For sideplates and gear cover you can get away with a little thicker coating without affecting the reel fitment. Cerakote gloss clear is nice but auto 2k clear is so much more glossy with a glass like finish.

This reel is all cerakote besides the gold front nose piece.

Last edited by SAGISI CUST0MS on Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SAGISI CUST0MS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SAGISI CUST0MS » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:45 pm

Cerakote clear left and auto clear on the right