2022 Daiwa Silver Creek Air TW Stream Custom

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: 2022 Daiwa Silver Creek Air TW Stream Custom

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:37 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:49 am
evilcatfish wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:04 am
Hmm I wonder if this Alphas will be made in Japan or Thailand? I was disappointed to the when the new Alphas SV came out with a made in Thailand stamp on it :(
Where it us made is a sidenote, for me anyway. My alphas sv tw is a great reel, every bit as smooth and tight as any other high end Daiwa.
100 percent agreed. I find origin doesn't matter as much as it used to.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:51 pm

Man that thing looks sick 8-) but alas only room for one passion for me :lol:

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:48 pm

Cristo wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:51 pm
Man that thing looks sick 8-) but alas only room for one passion for me :lol:
What would that be?

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:19 pm

I am a swimbait maniac, although my luck is not good(1 5.5er in 2 plus seasons) but my train keeps on on chugging on the SB track :P

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:49 pm

Best looking reel Daiwa has produced in a while - imo. I want one, but I will hold off until until others have used it with different spools. Don't need another BFS reel. Or should I say, HYPER BFS reel.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:53 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:49 pm
Best looking reel Daiwa has produced in a while - imo. I want one, but I will hold off until until others have used it with different spools. Don't need another BFS reel. Or should I say, HYPER BFS reel.
I will get once hyper tws, hyper utd, and hyper g1 spool is installed…

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:56 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:53 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:44 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:53 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
You just need to get more hype in your life #LETSGO!!!!!

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:55 am

I wonder how many bearings this will have? The differences I see from the Gekkabijin are...1) fixed inductor(but still a stepped spool=narrower spool) 2) different colors/accents...which look great imo 3) cork knobs 4) aluminum GOLD zero adjuster and star drag adjuster

In my opinion, compared to the Gekkabijin the only two advantages this new model has is #3 and #4. It will be interesting to see how many bearings it has.

Are there other differences/advantages that I'm not aware of??

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:45 am

Fixed inductor vs an Air Brake is a matter of preference in UL applications rather than a cost cutting measure as we have seen it implemented in normal bass reels in the past.

In the case of baits and Air Brake you can make a hard cast to send a bait flying and the non linear braking will give you a surge of braking to deal with that sudden influx of energy from the hard cast and then taper off the braking as the bait sails away. This is preferable over linear mag brake fixed inductor that will often feel over braked at the end of the cast when using a dial setting sufficient to handle the surge of energy at the beginning of the cast on a hard cast.

In the case of UL baits a fixed inductor there is often not enough energy present in the cast of some of these UL baits to get the Air Brake or older Magforce Z/V to activate and brake so spools become very difficult if not unusable below a certain weight range of baits. By having the inductor already extended in the fixed arrangement it is in position to control the braking right off the bat and remains in the position for the duration of the cast and after because, well, it's fixed in place. Many of these UL baits also struggle to carry their momentum well and slow rapidly as they travel through the air again making the long braking profile of a fixed inductor more attractive. A 3rd advantage is without the weight of the mechanisms to operate an Air Brake the fixed inductor spools can be lighter.

What I have found is that I prefer Air Brake and Magforce Z/V for my bass baits down to 1/16 Ned rigs. Once I go below that into UL territory it's a different story and I prefer my fixed inductor/linear mag brake spools and reels.

There is also a discussion to be had on casting technique when using a linear brake vs a non linear brake on all sized of baits but that's a different topic. You could sum it up as hard bomb cast and high brake settings = non linear performs best. Smooth casting with low brake settings = linear mag brake performs best.
Last edited by LowRange on Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:59 am

^Well written, and I agree.

I intentionally omitted this new fixed inductor spool as an advantage because it demands on the application, spools from prior models can be interchanged, and there are already fixed inductor spools on the market that fill that UL role quite well for me.

However, it is worth noting that the fixed inductor spools are better for the UL applications not just because of the linear brakes but also because they are by aid of design lighter with less momentum.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:07 am

Freddie wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:55 am
I wonder how many bearings this will have? The differences I see from the Gekkabijin are...1) fixed inductor(but still a stepped spool=narrower spool) 2) different colors/accents...which look great imo 3) cork knobs 4) aluminum GOLD zero adjuster and star drag adjuster

In my opinion, compared to the Gekkabijin the only two advantages this new model has is #3 and #4. It will be interesting to see how many bearings it has.

Are there other differences/advantages that I'm not aware of??
Acc. to https://www.daiwa.com/jp/fishing/item/r ... index.html there is 6/1 bearings.

I think spool is similar shape than in GekkaBijin with except of portholes and without that minor shape in spool edges. (Weight might be different.) Inductor is different.

Yes, Silver Creek looks awesome!

And good clarification from LowRange of differences of fixed inductor vs. moving inductor. I haven't liked much fixed inductors but yesterday I ordered Roro spool to my GekkaBijin :)

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:14 am

That brown paint and gold accents would look great on a traditional trout stick or one of those old fashioned looking St Croix or G Loomis sticks with the brown blanks and straight cork handles would look good too but you would have to turn a spinning rod into an casting rod.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:51 am

Another note to add with fixed vs AIR inductor is in short range casting, there often isn't enough time in the cast to activate/deactivate the braking system effectively in the AIR brakes. Fixed inductor spools can feel overbraked and hang while pitching but, that depends on the spool. I like the ability to go from casting to pitching to flip casting without touching my brakes.

The Alphas AIR TW is nice for stream casting. There is a slight amount of hanging in the air with very short casting. Most anglers wouldn't even notice this. The amount of time to do some short casting is small and having the brakes pop on for a fraction of a second can throw off casting rhythm if casting a variety of "stream ranges" in short succession.

Using the Roro AX24 spool in the Alphas AIR TW, the braking profile allows the cast to be flatter and faster but having steady light braking. Like said above, this spool favors a softer casting motion. I would take the stock spool for ned rigs and other finesse bass lures. Roro all day for stream fishing.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:11 am

Air brake surely pop out in every cast if spool accelerates fast enough. Because it's inertia of inductor ring which pop's it out when spool accelerates quick enough. But in stream fishing with short casts spool doesn't necessary accelerate quick enough = bad thing with moving inductor.

And if spool accelerates quick enough and inductor pop's out, still cast can be that slow that inductor retracts immediately. I think that's also not what moving inductor is supposed to do.

And moreover in short casts in stream fishing with light lures, lure pulls line during cast near to constant speed, that moving inductor just can't work as they are designed.

I have liked much Daiwa Air brakes (and K.T.F. Kahen) in BFS fishing, but yes, in short casts those are pretty much useless or actually harmfull.

I try to give time my new 28 mm Roro spool at next summer and maybe try to begin use thumb braking also in BFS fishing. I ordered spool with 'Senior' inductor thinking that there should be more than enough magnets in my reel.