Reel jammed - what did I do wrong?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Nwlfish
Angler
Angler

Reel jammed - what did I do wrong?

Post by Nwlfish » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:58 pm

Use my metanium 2020 frequently in the salt. Wipe down with a damp rag after each use.

Noticed during my last use that the spool was getting noisy during casting but that resolved itself during the fishing trip. Got home, did a wipe down as usual and went on a 2.5 week vacation.

Thumb button wouldn’t go down and reel in was jumpy when I got back.

Sent the reel for cleaning.. what did I do wrong? How can I protect the reel in the future?

LuS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Reel jammed - what did I do wrong?

Post by LuS » Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:16 am

To be clear - did you disassemble and clean or just give a surface wipe down?
In the case of disassembly - the the outer part of the clutch cam may be in backwards. Made that mistake once when I was learning to clean baitcasters. Led to a clutch bar that wouldn’t go down and generally felt awful. Fortunately, this mistake is as easy to fix as it is to make.

If not disassembled, just surface wiped - the met is a magnesium frame reel, I’d worry about corrosion from intruding salt. Might want to regularly tear down and clean any intruding grit and salt. Do check but I don’t believe the met has S-ARB bearings for that environment, nor does it have all the seals and such you might see on a tranx or other designed-for-saltwater baitcaster.
Luca :)

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:43 am

Grease the inner race of the pinion bearing. Without grease, it will start to surface rust, and the pinion gear gets stuck to it. Very common problem with all brands when used in the salt.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:59 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:43 am
Grease the inner race of the pinion bearing. Without grease, it will start to surface rust, and the pinion gear gets stuck to it. Very common problem with all brands when used in the salt.
Can you provide a photo next time you grease that bearing?

I find a dry/wet wipe down completely insufficient for saltwater. I'll run fresh tap water through the reel, remove spool and shake as much water out of the frame as possible then let everything dry. So far so good, but people have said never to rinse a BC out the way I do...

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:17 am

reason162 wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:59 am
JBcrankaddict wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:43 am
Can you provide a photo next time you grease that bearing?

I find a dry/wet wipe down completely insufficient for saltwater. I'll run fresh tap water through the reel, remove spool and shake as much water out of the frame as possible then let everything dry. So far so good, but people have said never to rinse a BC out the way I do...
Sure, I’ll get a pic. I’ll basically just lightly grease the entire outside of the bearing, and the housing where it sits in the frame. Keeps the pinion gear from freezing up to the pinion bearing, and keeps the bearing from corroding to the frame.

I rarely wash down, as I’ve had more issues doing that than doing nothing. I trust my lubes to protect everything and they have done a great job. Shimano grease and oil doesn’t have that added corrosion protection like Yamalube or CorrosionX grease. That said, if what you’re doing is working for you, don’t change!

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:52 am

When I use rod/reel in saltwater, it go into shower room with me every after trip. If I have to be out a couple days, but I use plain bottle of water and pour on the reel. It might not be as good as open clean and grease inside but better than just wipe down.

Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Salty Parrot » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:33 am

I too only use my metanium 2020 in salt, I rinse the hell out of it each time and I put it in freespool and unfreespool it under the water and oil the bearings every so often. Still feels smooth and operates smoothly