Specific noise with my high end Shimanos

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Specific noise with my high end Shimanos

Post by CFDoc » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:52 pm

ss30378 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:32 pm
Slazmo wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:07 pm
CFDoc wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:21 am
The poster above me, ss30378, and I have been PM'ing about this topic for a long time now. It is maddening to say the least.
You've got a choice not to respond, but saying that openly is a piss poor form regardless.
I think you read that wrong, we've been messaging back and forth trying to find the root cause of the issue which is maddening, not that I've been maddening to him (well I hope not anyways... :D)

From what's been discussed so far looking at gears under a microscope didn't reveal much of significance. Bearing swaps seem to work for some but not others, there's been some issues with the met pressure plate getting deformed a bit but the issues aren't limited to the met, like in this case a conquest so what is the issue(s)?

Could the material or hardness of the gears be an issue? Bearings? Frame or side plate misalignment? Different grease needed? I had 3 new Mets go buzzy very fast, all were the XG model, are the lower speed reels lasting longer? Are the MM gears just too sensitive to movement/misalignment to expect longevity in a fishing reel?

Daiwa ran MM type gears in the newest Ryoga that's been it, now they went a different route of redesigning normal sized teeth for their gears. Did Daiwa find issues with the MM design or just decide to go another route? I really like the performance and feel of the new shimano reels I just want them to stay out of the box smooth for longer than 1 trip. I've tried different grease and lubes but who knows how long my last 2 MM geared reels will stay smooth?

But hey at least Shimano gears are cheap compared to Daiwa...
LOL, I totally missed the messaging here. I figured Slazmo was just making a joke about ss30378.

ss30378 has been a great guy to exchange dialogue with over the past year or so on this topic. It's the topic itself that has been maddening. Like he mentioned, we have looked at grease, oil, every bearing, gear after gear under magnification, possible play in the main shaft, etc. etc. And nothing seems to consistently stick out as the "live wire" that causes the noise.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:49 pm

I wonder if it is something like the gear teeth are meshing in such a way to force out the grease and you end up with metal to metal contact. Do the daiwa gears keep a pocket of grease in the gear teeth that cushions the teeth meshing?

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:30 pm

Status update:

I sent Dan (ReelEx) the following reels:

* JDM Antares 71 HG
* JDM 2021 Calcutta Conquest 201HG
* JDM 2021 Calcutta Conquest 101HG
* JDM 2018 Calcutta Conquest 401
* JDM 2021 Antares DC XG
* JDM 2018 Morethan XH
* JDM 2018 Antares DC MD

It was the right call!

Dan's turn around time was amazing to begin with! I shipped the reels on Tuesday, he received them on Wednesday and I had them back before the weekend. The drag clicker of the two 2021 CCs were not working initially. Dan offered to take care of it free of charge and also serviced another reel free of charge as a courtesy call.

Dan called multiple times to get more information on the issues I was experiencing, gave additionally a lot of great tips and tricks and also shared interesting stories of his 20+ year experience! I can honestly say that Dan is just a generally good guy! I very much appreciate this in today's fast paced and shallow world!

So, how did he do?

* JDM Antares 71 HG --> after I moved the reel to its original rod (Megbass Super Destroyer), the noise was gone! Now this reel is the rock star that I was expecting from day one!

* JDM 2021 Calcutta Conquest 201HG --> This was the original reel that started it all. I was a bit nervous when I got it back today, since I was hoping that the noise was gone. AND YEP. Silky smooth and quite. --> Piece of mind! ;-)

* JDM 2021 Calcutta Conquest 101H --> Similar to the Antares 71HG, smooth and quite! A dream!

* JDM 2018 Calcutta Conquest 401 --> Didnt feel too much of a difference here, but the 401 did not have the noise problem to begin with. Just some good service was done here.

* JDM 2021 Antares DC XG --> This is a reel that I fished maybe for a total of 30mins since I got it from Japan last month. I only sent it in because I wanted to get it serviced, since I was planning to sell it. The reel was super smooth already, so I did not think anything was wrong with it. Well, Dan's inspection resulted in 4 dry & damaged bearings (X-Ship bearings in particular) that he replaced. He sent me the bearings back and I could see how bad they were. Some reels (its seems to be mostly Shimano, since I have not experienced this yet with Daiwas) that one buys from Japan, seem to get to us rather dry. And if one fishes just a bit with a dry bearing, this can have severe consequences. So, clean and lube them yourselves or send them to somebody like Dan right away! ;-)

Now this reel is even smoother (I have no idea how that is possible) and is easily the smoothest reel in my collection. I do not really need this reel, but I am honestly discussing if I should just find a rood, so I can keep the reel.

* JDM 2018 Morethan XH --> This reel was my 'bank fishing beater'. It was dirty and rough. Dan did again a great job cleaning and servicing the reel. It almost feels like the day I got it out of the box!

* JDM 2018 Antares DC MD --> A lot of you know about the challenges with this reel. Shimano simply underdelivered with this reel for what it was advertised. I took my reel apart more than 5 times in the last year to the most severe cleaning and lubing job possible, since the geary feeling of that reel drove me nuts. I would never sell the reel though, since it has special sentimental value to me. Well, Dan gave my old lady new live and restored her very well. I am happy with the result!

So, what can I say? Yes, it was expensive (spend with shipping, the bearings and service almost 280USD). It was worth it though.

I can nothing but recommend Dan to anybody who wants to make sure that their reels get the best service. If he can not fix it right away, he will tell you, research the problem in his network to fix it eventually!

Dan = the man!

If you have JDM reels like I have (since the cost savings are just too good for many reels to pass up on, as well most reels that I am interested in are JDM only), check in with Dan first, since he told me that he usually only services USDM reels!

Cheers!