SS SV for cranking duty

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Jnkoepp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

SS SV for cranking duty

Post by Jnkoepp » Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:18 am

How would an SS SV 103 5.3:1 handle deep cranking duty? The spool would immediately be replaced with an old ZPI RC-001 and have a 95mm SLP handle installed. Thanks.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: SS SV for cranking duty

Post by LowRange » Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:38 am

Jnkoepp wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:18 am
How would an SS SV 103 5.3:1 handle deep cranking duty? The spool would immediately be replaced with an old ZPI RC-001 and have a 95mm SLP handle installed. Thanks.
Ok I guess. I have one but I use it for BFS stuff and keeping the baits down by being slow. Honestly that ZPI spool is far from ideal for long bombing deep cranks. I've got a winner's black and it has a pretty strong braking profile. I would also expect the reel to turn into a coffee grinder eventually with the already not exactly smooth alloy gears and the load of a hard pulling crank. Certainly workable and if you run across for for a great price its worth considering. To me a great price is $120 and under in excellent condition.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:45 am

Wouldn’t be my first choice. It would take a lot of internal mods

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:36 am

Don't see why it wouldn't be good.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:30 am

I have a 7.1 SS/SV on my cranking rod. This is a 7'M moderate fast Lew's cranking rod, just a cheap little setup for squarebills, shallow-mid cranks, traps, and occasionally jerkbaits (even though I'm liking a faster action rod for those now). The reel has been great for me. I initially wanted to do the 8.1 gear upgrade from Tackle Trap, it improves the drag and smoothness quite well I hear. After using the reel a while I decided the stock gears were good enough and changed the reel to cranking duty due to the minuscule drag pressure. This all being said, it has made a great cranking reel in my opinion. I use my Steez A spool in the reel and the magforce Z cooperates well with the heavy braking. I occasionally use a Zillion SVTW spool too, just depends.

bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bronzebacks » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:09 am

I have one on my deep crank rod and although i haven't used it a ton its held up fine. Its just as smooth as new and I've cranked dt 16s with it a good bit