Has everyone forgot the Shimano Chronarch is even a thing?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Has everyone forgot the Shimano Chronarch is even a thing?

Post by SSS » Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:48 pm

Is it just me or literally everyone forgot this fishing reel is even being made? I remember before the CI4+ version came out, they were massively popular and loved by everyone. When the CI4+ version came out, and they asked $300+ for a plastic reel, the Chronarch name became way less popular. Then, when the MGL version was released, its like everyone forgot about the Chronarch even being a thing. Of all the baitcasters Shimano has, i think this is the one that needs to be rebooted, and it better be made out of aluminum or even magnesium.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Has everyone forgot the Shimano Chronarch is even a thing?

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:10 pm

Had a Chronarch MGL didnt see any benefit over the CU70 I have returned the Chr MGL got another 70.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:49 am

Yeah, I'd rather they make a premium plastic reel at the $100 price point like a high carbon content fancy plastic using the Casitas MGL but with gears that don't grind. I like the overall shape and styling of my Casitas but it does flex and it was never smooth or quiet.

For a Chonarch they should take the Curado platforms and move them up market to bridge the gap between Curados and Metaniums. Not sure how well an aluminum handle side plate upscale Curado would sell when average Joe just buys reels based on stats and will opt for the cheaper lighter reel. You could argue that the different color paint and higher end appearance would pair well to higher end Loomis sticks but I have a feeling the kind of people who buy Loomis sticks dont care about looks. Maybe they could trickle down some higher end platforms into the Chronarch name like an Aluminium Metanium or a cheaper Bantum MGL but without the MGL spool and high end finish.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:44 am

The only Chronarch I have is the 100D series, and they are tanks and phenomenal. The current lineup just doesn't jive with me...I don't like the brake dial that exposed or large...I think it's ugly and would rather have a Curado at this point, especially because the Curado has come such a long way.

I think of it this way...would you rather have a Chronarch 100D or a Curado 200E? I'll take the Chronarch all day.

Do you want a Chronarch MGL or a Curado 150 MGL? I'll take the Curado all day.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:49 am

godshippy wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:44 am
The only Chronarch I have is the 100D series, and they are tanks and phenomenal. The current lineup just doesn't jive with me...I don't like the brake dial that exposed or large...I think it's ugly and would rather have a Curado at this point, especially because the Curado has come such a long way.

I think of it this way...would you rather have a Chronarch 100D or a Curado 200E? I'll take the Chronarch all day.

Do you want a Chronarch MGL or a Curado 150 MGL? I'll take the Curado all day.
I agree with everything you say. My first ever Shimano casting reel was a Chronarch MGL. That is why I showed interest in a Conquest, never had another Shimano casting reel. I do not mind the Chronarch MGL, and I even did a long review comparing it to the Zillion SV TW. I liked the MGL, but now it has for sure gotten buzzy, and just does not have that "it" factor. They are made in Japan and I got a good deal on mine so I will keep it, but I wish so bad I had waited for a 2020 Metanium or got the previous model Met and put brass gears in it (assuming it needed them). The fact that I ended up using my Chronarch MGL on a MH rod also makes me realize a Bantam MGL might have been better.
I think the Chronarch MGL is still a good reel, the slight buzz doesn't mean it isn't smooth, just an odd gear feel (micro module gears with all composite frame and sideplates). The issue is that it fills a strange area. It is almost $300, no aluminum in sight, not quite a finesse reel, not a heavy duty reel, the reel isn't very small, and just doesn't offer anything that special. This all being said though, it can do a little bit of everything at the same time and for sure has usefulness on the water...

ra2bach
Angler
Angler

Post by ra2bach » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:54 am

I think the current ChronarchMGL is a great reel. I got one 3 years ago and it still impresses me every time I use it. Since then I added 2 Metaniums (16 and 20), Bantam and all models of Curados and SLX, including the DC's.

I'm constantly trying to match the strengths of each reel with different rods/applications and I haven't really found anything the Chronarch doesn't do well. It's still smooth, isn't geary, and casts light baits a mile.

In my mind, the Chronarch is essentially brothers with the Bantam and Metanium with the Bantam being the heaviest Brute of the bunch using aluminum Coresolid body, the Metanium the sweetie with the Magnesium Coresolid body, and Chronarch a, uh, Ci4 Coresolid allrounder that does everything well. I'm a fan...

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:40 pm

I have the D7 and D5
Never saw anything that made me want to try it out with the chronarch name
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:45 am

If they would have left the Chronarch name for USDM, and Metanium for JDM, this wouldnt even be a discussion. :doh:
<")))><{

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrpao » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:07 am

I tried to like the regular Chronarch and the mgl version, but hated the frame. While the reels were smooth and casted well, the upper edge of the side plate dug into my palm the way I hold my reels. So they had to go.
If they would redesign the reels, I might try them again.
Wonder if shimano will just discontinue them due to lack of interest?

Dink Whisperer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dink Whisperer » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:16 am

mrpao wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:07 am
I tried to like the regular Chronarch and the mgl version, but hated the frame. While the reels were smooth and casted well, the upper edge of the side plate dug into my palm the way I hold my reels. So they had to go.
If they would redesign the reels, I might try them again.
Wonder if shimano will just discontinue them due to lack of interest?
This is the exact same reason I sold all of mine! That side plate makes the reel feel way bigger than it really is. Uncomfortable too.... I made the switch to the 2020 Metanium and it's perfect!

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:19 pm

They really don't need to discontinue them. Redesign and sell for about $399, which is $40-45 cheaper than the Met. Since the Bantam is pretty much replacing the likes of Chronarch D, i would like this redesigned version to be a budget Met. Like 6 bearings and a magnesium frame. Unless the redesigned version is as ugly as the new Aldebaran :big grin: i see it doing very well.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:34 pm

I think it's a hard market for Shimano to fill. Most tournament anglers who have 20+ combos are going for Stradic/Vanford and Curado reels. The enthusiast market is going straight to the Metaniums.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:50 pm

I mean, this thread reminded me that I have one, so... not forgotten, I guess.

(Nah, I like mine when I fish it, just haven't used that combo a lot recently. And it hasn't made me rush out to get more.)

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:16 pm

SSS wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:19 pm
They really don't need to discontinue them. Redesign and sell for about $399, which is $40-45 cheaper than the Met. Since the Bantam is pretty much replacing the likes of Chronarch D, i would like this redesigned version to be a budget Met. Like 6 bearings and a magnesium frame. Unless the redesigned version is as ugly as the new Aldebaran :big grin: i see it doing very well.
Ya'll gotta stop dogging that poor 22' Aldebaran BFS... Ugly reels need love too!!!

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:35 pm

One reel I definitely regret selling was the Chronarch D. Especially after it passed through Ian's hands.