Diawa Sol

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
chrome22
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Diawa Sol

Post by chrome22 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:06 am

Looking for information on this reel, I like the looks of the original 2005/6 release reel. And I need a slick casting light line reel for my summer run steelheading.

Looking for user casting experiences, links to related articles & thoughts on later generations of this reel. I've located a unused 1st generation reel with box, "Diawa special oil" & papers for $250

c/22

skunked
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Diawa Sol

Post by skunked » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:55 pm

I have 3 of them. This should tell you what I think of them...great reels! They do have a geary feeling if not lubed regularly, but it doesn't bother me. Lightly oil the inductor assembly because one of mine got stuck once. If you can find a purple Alphas in good condition, get one of those also! Basically identical but looks so cool. Lastly, if you are talking about one of the best and most respected brand names in fishing, please spell it correctly....DAIWA!

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:42 pm

Oh man, my favorite platform! Theres a ton of upgrade parts available including more bearings, high speed levelwind, 6.8 and 7.2 gear sets, lighter duralumin drive shafts that accept clicking drag stars, aftermarket and stock spools from other reels, including SV spools. This is the same frame as the legendary JDM Alphas. The last reel Daiwa made that's 100% compatible is the Alphas SV 105. As a user reel, I'd steer clear. New in box for $250 would only be practical if you wanted it as part of a collection imho. Theres a ton of readily-available used variants out there that already have higher gear ratios and weigh over an ounce less.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:10 pm

If only I had a dollar for every time someone misspells Diaiwa!!! :lol:

chrome22
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by chrome22 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:39 pm

Thanks for the responses sorry about the mis-spelling I'm mostly a Shimano guy

:mrgreen: lol

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:19 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:42 pm
Oh man, my favorite platform! Theres a ton of upgrade parts available including more bearings, high speed levelwind, 6.8 and 7.2 gear sets, lighter duralumin drive shafts that accept clicking drag stars, aftermarket and stock spools from other reels, including SV spools. This is the same frame as the legendary JDM Alphas. The last reel Daiwa made that's 100% compatible is the Alphas SV 105. As a user reel, I'd steer clear. New in box for $250 would only be practical if you wanted it as part of a collection imho. Theres a ton of readily-available used variants out there that already have higher gear ratios and weigh over an ounce less.
Totally agree with this. For 250 and if you want light line reel, 2021 Alphas SV TW would be better choice. I have a few of Alphas platforms, including SOL and original purple. I got them because color and size but not performance wise. I use SOL with stock 103 spool mostly for medium-heavy duty.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:07 am

Yep. For $250 it should be like new and because you want an orange Alphas to build. As purely a functional tool I would take any number of reels over a SOL for that price point.