reel handles up?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

reel handles up?

Post by 108642 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:19 pm

over the years I have cast baitcasting reels (not a whole lot) right hand with reel handles up. I was thinking about trying a left hand reel casting with my right hand. For me, that would be reel handles down. Would the reel cast as far, smoothly as with reel handles up?
Thanks

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: reel handles up?

Post by LowRange » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:40 pm

No difference. I cast with my reel handles sideways or the spool horizontal. I don't turn my reels when casting. I don't see the point. I've done it. It think this thought process for casting this way was to "get the spool to spin like a top" which is completely defeated by any spool tension of which proponents of this technique also promote from what I see. From my humble opinion, just cast normal. I can dump an entire spool of 50# braid with a Terminator Walking Frog on a normal cast on a TD Zillion HLC, which has Curado 200k capacity, without having to turn my reel on its side or any other juggling to get any spinning top behavior out of the spool. Even when pitching I prefer to keep the reel level and snap tbe wrist to impart the pitching action. I only ever have to incorporate a wrist/reel rotation when pitching if I am palming the reel when pitching. That changes the mechanics for the worse and the reduction in motion can be compensated for by rotating the wrist when pitching while palming the reel instead of gripping the rod and snapping upwards on tbe pitch.