A list of great spool swaps

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: A list of great spool swaps

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:47 am

adam lancia wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:44 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:33 pm
adam lancia wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:43 pm
Has anyone used the 28mm Rays deep spool in an Alphas Air TW? Send like it would make for a good small cranks reel.
I have that spool in a Gekkabijin and it's a fantastic power bfs spool. 3.5 grams and up on money. There's 2 versions, one being a fixed inductor. I have the SV model.
Thanks Tim, how did it handle non-aerodynamic lures?
It handles a 1/4 double willow spinnerbait very well.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:08 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:47 am
adam lancia wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:44 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:33 pm
adam lancia wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:43 pm
Has anyone used the 28mm Rays deep spool in an Alphas Air TW? Send like it would make for a good small cranks reel.
I have that spool in a Gekkabijin and it's a fantastic power bfs spool. 3.5 grams and up on money. There's 2 versions, one being a fixed inductor. I have the SV model.
Thanks Tim, how did it handle non-aerodynamic lures?
It handles a 1/4 double willow spinnerbait very well.
Nice! It doesn't get much more non-aerodynamic than that 😂

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:54 pm

OG Steez 103 Type R+ spool in a 2019 Morethan is a screamer!
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:47 am

Adding the 1010 in a TD-Z to the list. I heard about this one from Hogsticker2. I've had my FX68 1010 spool in a few reels and it was a long bomber in a gen 1 Steez LTD but I had to run the mag dial super high to keep it in control and I always struggled to make short casts with poppers around the bank/docks. After hearing the 1010 was good in TD-Zs I put mine in a TD Ito and it's been a great match. The spool has a lot of braking power in the TD Ito at middle and high settings but can be lowered all the way down to 3 on the mag dial and let rip. I've only ever gone that low on the mag dial with the T3 MX spool. The 1010 in the TD-Z gives an incredible range of adjustment. At 3.5 I was casting a shower blows shorty almost down to the arbor on 20# braid with the TD Ito and Ottomat yet I had nearly the whole dial to work back up in braking if I wanted to cast into gusts of 20 mph wind or toss baits at the bank at night.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:13 am

LowRange wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:47 am
Adding the 1010 in a TD-Z to the list. I heard about this one from Hogsticker2. I've had my FX68 1010 spool in a few reels and it was a long bomber in a gen 1 Steez LTD but I had to run the mag dial super high to keep it in control and I always struggled to make short casts with poppers around the bank/docks. After hearing the 1010 was good in TD-Zs I put mine in a TD Ito and it's been a great match. The spool has a lot of braking power in the TD Ito at middle and high settings but can be lowered all the way down to 3 on the mag dial and let rip. I've only ever gone that low on the mag dial with the T3 MX spool. The 1010 in the TD-Z gives an incredible range of adjustment. At 3.5 I was casting a shower blows shorty almost down to the arbor on 20# braid with the TD Ito and Ottomat yet I had nearly the whole dial to work back up in braking if I wanted to cast into gusts of 20 mph wind or toss baits at the bank at night.
One of my favs for sure. I'm actually doing some spool testing this afternoon. Trying to figure out which spool I like best in the new Zillion. Nothing really feels right to me. I have 5 spools to work through.