Value spinning reels. Composite vs aluminum

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Value spinning reels. Composite vs aluminum

Post by Obz » Tue May 10, 2022 1:51 pm

I realize budget, eggbeaters and tackletour don't really mix well but I'll give er anyway. I don't like spending a bunch on spinning reels/rods because I don't use them as much as baitcasters. I do some trout/walleye fishing in spring and a river smallmouth trip that I don't like bringing nice stuff on. I got a couple Procyon EX2500's on sale for 130. The reels are still very smooth but kinda heavy. I bought a couple Fuegos end of last year because they were 'mag sealed' like my Procyon EX's but light. 1 fuego is already pretty geary so it sucks for pulling spinners, paddle tails, and other moving baits. Are there any worthy spinning reels out there for $125? Also wondering if you've noticed a difference in longevity with composite reels vs aluminum? Do I just have to bite the bullet and get a Stradic or Vanford

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Value spinning reels. Composite vs aluminum

Post by ss30378 » Tue May 10, 2022 2:17 pm

I have 3 of the 21 caldia's in the 1000s 2500s and c3000 size and really like them, they are the jdm ballistic MQ.

You can get them in the $140-160 range right now. I would actually say they are a step up in refinement over the stradic fl which were replaced with the caldia's. I don't have too much time on them yet but they are very smooth in both drag and retrieve. I don't find composite reels to be any less durable than aluminum in lighter freshwater applications. In heavier saltwater I'd step up to aluminum frames but for bass and trout and smaller swimmers I haven't had any issues.
Last edited by ss30378 on Thu May 12, 2022 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue May 10, 2022 5:57 pm

Made by Daiwa, aluminum frame, but still lightweight. Thank me later.
https://www.scheels.com/p/scheels-outfi ... t=62&sz=23
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Tue May 10, 2022 8:01 pm

Dig both suggestions thanks guys!

Kimbro1014
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kimbro1014 » Wed May 11, 2022 9:50 am

I was in the same camp for a long time. I didn’t really invest in spinning equipment because it just sat. I’ve wanted to get more into it because finesse can be really effective under the right conditions. I ultimately ended up buying a Daiwa Certate Lt to pair with my Powell Max. Since then I’ve found myself reaching for my lone quality spinning set up much more often to the point I’m thinking of adding a Steez rod after this deployment. While this isn’t really answering your question I was in the same boat and found what I was looking for in what many outside of this community would think of as irrational.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Wed May 11, 2022 11:51 am

Daiwa SS Tournament. $109. Been in continuous production unchanged since the mid 80’s. Has a whopping 3 bearings total. Enthusiasts hate it because it doesn’t have infinite anti reverse, it uses a ratchet & pawl anti reverse that is way stronger than an anti reverse needs to be but the trade off is a few degrees of back play until it engages. The rotor isn’t perfectly balanced, not that you’d ever spin it that fast in actual use but many still b*tch about it. It’s blocky and ugly and it doesn’t use any BS marketing hyperbole (“Patented Zoltanium Technology!!!) What it does offer is unmatched reliability & performance. One of the best stock drags period. Rugged worm gear gearbox. Shallow long spool paired with a staggered oscillation retrieve pattern lays the line on the spool in an X pattern which pretty much eliminates line dig. Try and kill one, I dare ya. All killer, no filler. Performance wise it’ll hold it’s own against pretty much anything out there … aesthetically… that’s a different story.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed May 11, 2022 9:59 pm

This is always a changing dynamic category for me. As I started out with the cheapo Wallyworld gear and then jumped into the closeout deals on Shimano Stradics. At that time a $100 closeout Stradic was the definitive mark of measurement. Price point now it's gone to that $200 retail range.

I was looking at those Shakespeare Ugly Tuff spinning reels and they retail for $60. I played with it at the local tackle store and was impressed with the smoothness of them. Still I passed them up when the sale priced came around and I went with a Stradic 5000FL and an Ultegra 5000FB for replacing the two old binding up Stradic 4000FG reels. The reels are rigged up for some catfishing set ups for now and haven't had any field time on them yet. From just prelimary inspections and some light torsion tension testing. The Ultegra does flex so much more than the Stradic. Well until I'm tugging fish on the other end, can't judge a reel for what it is as of yet.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu May 12, 2022 5:06 am

I love our Stradic FL, got the 2500S version from Japan for like $160. Aluminum, feels great, heavier, but oh well. My Stradic Ci4+ FB is also still day one smooth, another great reel I love. Last of all, my old Stradic Ci4+ FA has caught more fish than any reel I own, caught my PB largemouth, and also still feels day one smooth. You could find the FL new for cheap, or the other two used/on sale and they should fit the bill fine. The only spinning reels I have ever had issue with were the Revo series, and they just got a tad geary and the anti reverse had issues during colder seasons.

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Thu May 12, 2022 6:20 am

I just bought a 2022 shimano Nasci FC 1000. its got the screw in handle this year which is a huge upgrade. I think for the price it cannot be beat. its super smooth. as smooth as my stradic and its half the price.
I would look into them. I believe its aluminum bodied (what shimano calls Hagane lol)

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Thu May 12, 2022 7:43 am

Hulkster wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 6:20 am
I just bought a 2022 shimano Nasci FC 1000. its got the screw in handle this year which is a huge upgrade. I think for the price it cannot be beat. its super smooth. as smooth as my stradic and its half the price.
I would look into them. I believe its aluminum bodied (what shimano calls Hagane lol)
The hagane for the Nasci is for the gear only, not the body. I think the stradic is the first reel (lowest tier) to get the hagane body.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Thu May 12, 2022 5:29 pm

Sounds like the Silent Drive tech is proving it's merits.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish