Steez HLC vs Steez A vs Steez limited

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Steez HLC vs Steez A vs Steez limited

Post by goldrod » Tue May 31, 2022 10:40 am

Which of the three is the better buy?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Steez HLC vs Steez A vs Steez limited

Post by jvelth74 » Tue May 31, 2022 10:50 am

Depends on offers you have got :D HLC is a little bigger spool and it's for a little heavier lures. And it is distance casting oriented.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Tue May 31, 2022 2:59 pm

The steez limited is awesome, super smooth and casts a mile. Great for all around.

Tejota Bettio
Angler
Angler

Post by Tejota Bettio » Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:17 am

Steez HLC has 36mm spool that is compatible with OG Zillion Spools and aluminum frame

Steez A 34mm compatible with loads of platforms and also has aluminum frame

Steez limited is a magnesium reel and shallow spool.

Different reels for different applications. Best to focus on what you need the reel for and make a decision.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:21 am

Tejota Bettio wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:17 am
Steez HLC has 36mm spool that is compatible with OG Zillion Spools and aluminum frame

Steez A 34mm compatible with loads of platforms and also has aluminum frame

Steez limited is a magnesium reel and shallow spool.

Different reels for different applications. Best to focus on what you need the reel for and make a decision.

Thanks for the highlights of the reels something I didn’t consider personally
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:28 am

What about what the gears are made of ?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:02 am

I would use the HLC as a frog, jerkbait or deep crank reel depending on the ratio. The limited shallow spool might be a pretty good power finesse reel for a M or ML rod for baits up to 3/8 oz. For an all around i would want a deep boost spool in a Steez. I hear that pairing is really good and better than the same spool in the new Zillon.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:44 pm

This is a really hard choice lol
The HLC is probably what I need to buy because I can put an Iźe pe spool in it from my og zillion

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:11 pm

goldrod wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:44 pm
The HLC is probably what I need to buy because I can put an Iźe pe spool in it from my og zillion
And then sell me the HLC spool obviously. :big grin:

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:22 pm

LowRange wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:11 pm
goldrod wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:44 pm
And then sell me the HLC spool obviously. :big grin:
😂
Now that’s an incentive that I could swing by the wife

I just saw the price of just the spool online and that could be a great option because I don’t see any real change in the reel itself
Maybe a deeper look is needed
And now I’m curious about how that spool performance is in a 100m reel

FamKench
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FamKench » Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:18 pm

I have a steez HLC but I had to put an AliExpress DIY spool in it. I consider myself great with a bait caster and also have a Steez A with ZPI NRC M spool which gives me no overrun/backlash issues whatsoever.

I was getting overruns and backlashes throwing a whopper popper 130 with the HLC spool and brakes set to maximum on a 7'5 Megabass Javelin.

I can't however get rid of the spool because I think it will be perfect for tossing aerodynamic 3/4 to 1 oz spoons from shore for Salmon in the Great Lakes.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:50 pm

FamKench wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:18 pm
I have a steez HLC but I had to put an AliExpress DIY spool in it. I consider myself great with a bait caster and also have a Steez A with ZPI NRC M spool which gives me no overrun/backlash issues whatsoever.

I was getting overruns and backlashes throwing a whopper popper 130 with the HLC spool and brakes set to maximum on a 7'5 Megabass Javelin.

I can't however get rid of the spool because I think it will be perfect for tossing aerodynamic 3/4 to 1 oz spoons from shore for Salmon in the Great Lakes.
What line were you using? A 130 plopper should cast well on that reel I would think.

FamKench
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FamKench » Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:37 pm

LowRange wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:50 pm
FamKench wrote:

What line were you using? A 130 plopper should cast well on that reel I would think.
30lb Daiwa J-Braid x8 Grand. That's what I thought too that I could absolutely launch it, but it was 50/50. Some casts were great while some I had to pick out back lashes. When I set the brake dial to max the back lashes stopped but I feel I was doing the reel an injustice by setting the brakes to 20. (I just remembered the backlashes were actually happening at brake setting 12-14 on the HLC spool, not 20)

With the new fixed inductor spool from AliExpress, I can leave the brakes at the normal 8-10 range and have backlash free fishing days

FamKench
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FamKench » Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:45 pm

goldrod wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 10:40 am
Which of the three is the better buy?
Since I already have a Steez HLC and Steez A, I would get the limited! Lol.

If I could do it all over again I'd probably just get the limited. I changed out both spools in my 2 streezs' and feel like I would be happy with the limited's stock spool.

I use braid on 100% of my reels though. YMMV

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:30 pm

FamKench wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:37 pm
LowRange wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:50 pm
FamKench wrote:

30lb Daiwa J-Braid x8 Grand. That's what I thought too that I could absolutely launch it, but it was 50/50. Some casts were great while some I had to pick out back lashes. When I set the brake dial to max the back lashes stopped but I feel I was doing the reel an injustice by setting the brakes to 20. (I just remembered the backlashes were actually happening at brake setting 12-14 on the HLC spool, not 20)

With the new fixed inductor spool from AliExpress, I can leave the brakes at the normal 8-10 range and have backlash free fishing days
Interesting. I can never go that low on my dial on an of my reels on a normal cast. 50% is about where they stay. Are you palming the reel when casting or are you bomb casting?