19 Shimano Vanquish Spool - interchangeable with Shimano Vanford?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

19 Shimano Vanquish Spool - interchangeable with Shimano Vanford?

Post by ultralight » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:19 pm

I figure if anyone would know, it would be here.

IS the 2019 Shimano Vanquish spool and Vanford spool interchangeable or do they have different dimensions? I'm thinking the size 1000 and 2000 reels.

Thanks.

RustyHook
Angler
Angler

Re: 19 Shimano Vanquish Spool - interchangeable with Shimano Vanford?

Post by RustyHook » Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:22 am

Yes. The 19 Vanquish, 20 vanford 18 Stella, 19 stradic fl, and I think the 21 Soare XR and Complex Xr all interchange.

I stick with Stradic FL. and do bearing, handle, and spool upgrades

My last was a stradic FL 1k for trout. Swapped on a Yumeya 1000 n2010 soare orange spool (which innthe 1k is tge S-27 size spool), bushing to bearing throughout, titanium line roller. counter balance handle, reel stand, Varivas Super Trout max x8 p.e.#0.6 gold color, mounted on a N.S Black Hole Taifun-S 632 UL Rod. The entire combo 'ready to fish' weighs in at 10.2 oz. Killed it on rainbow, browns and a few brook this spring. Largest was a 6lb3oz rainbow.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:37 pm

RustyHook wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:22 am
Yes. The 19 Vanquish, 20 vanford 18 Stella, 19 stradic fl, and I think the 21 Soare XR and Complex Xr all interchange.

I stick with Stradic FL. and do bearing, handle, and spool upgrades

My last was a stradic FL 1k for trout. Swapped on a Yumeya 1000 n2010 soare orange spool (which innthe 1k is tge S-27 size spool), bushing to bearing throughout, titanium line roller. counter balance handle, reel stand, Varivas Super Trout max x8 p.e.#0.6 gold color, mounted on a N.S Black Hole Taifun-S 632 UL Rod. The entire combo 'ready to fish' weighs in at 10.2 oz. Killed it on rainbow, browns and a few brook this spring. Largest was a 6lb3oz rainbow.
Thanks! Appreciate the insight. And wow, THAT is a lot of upgrades which no doubt cost $$$. May I ask why not just get a Vanquish? Is it because you love the uniqueness of upgrading?

I'm a weight weenie and size for size, the Vanquish seem to be the lightest spinning reels on the planet. Am I wrong? Incidentally, I'm trying to get an entire rod/reel down to 5.5 ounce all in but that's a stretch. Now, I have it down to 5.85 oz for a 6' 7" rod coupled with the Vanford 500. Soare XR 500 would drop it down to sub 5.65 oz...so still .15 oz to go.

RustyHook
Angler
Angler

Post by RustyHook » Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:02 pm

Yes I do enjoy it now that I have done it but it was not planned. I found the stradics fl to be a very good value and well put together. Then I realized it could take the same bearings as the Stella minus the top spool bearing.

Then I got my rod and it had orange bands above the reel seat. In talking to a friend on bass resource he told me about the cross ref of spool between all those other models. He told me there was a same shade orange spool for the Soare line. It also had the same top bearing setup as the Stella spool.

Even if I spent the $$ on a Vanquish I would still replace the handle and if color matching the spool. In the end the Stradic is still a better value for me. When you can put a 6oz reel with a smooth drag on a 3 oz rod that can cast weightless that makes a sweet finesse and trout setup.

For line I had been already searching and testing various braid manf lines to see the best quality. I also do a lot of saltwater fishing. I started with USA brands and then got into jpn brands. Started ordering from the various jpn online shops. I found Varivas to offer some of the very best. What I also liked was they published accurate break strength and line diameters. Every line they list the max and average break strength.

No more 15lb power pro that's actually closer to 30lb and 10%+ thicker then claimed. People think they are horsing in 30lb reds and stripers on 15lb test lol. Seems all the USA market stuff is that way. Varivas has 8 carrier down to p.e. 1.25 IIRC it's 0.09mm diameter. That's 0.003" thick!?! The lines also have this slick smooth fluorine costing that is very hard wearing. That's how I ended up with my trout/finesse setup. I have enough of a time seeing to tie strong knots with PE#0.6 to go even thinner. Real 3-4lb test is too light IMO when dealing with 5lb trout in current.

RustyHook
Angler
Angler

Post by RustyHook » Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:12 pm

I thought about going down to the 500 series to say a ounce or two but you loss so much of the various advances on the reel. Water proofing reel smoothness I decided to just deal with a bit more weight. I am still right at 10 oz with 150m of line. I could be under 10oz if I went with 100 yds total. Could go back to bushings and save maybe a couple tenths more.

Instead of the 6'3" rod I could go to the 4'3" ns bh taufin rod. It's only 61grams/2.15oz. It's rated for lure wt 0.4-2 grams and p.e. line # 0.4-0.8. That might be what you are looking for weight wise. That could bring you in right at 6 oz possibly. Maybe switch to a CF handle and knob.

RustyHook
Angler
Angler

Post by RustyHook » Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:14 pm

The 0.6 varivas trout max x8 has an average test of around 12lb so it's plenty strong.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:49 pm

Thanks RustyHook. Enjoyable to read your experience.

I did not know that there are lighter carbon fiber handle and knob. Wondering how much weight they save. And do you have a link? Curious.

My 5.85oz 6' 7" rig won't handle the line that you use. It is for 3 lbs fluoro at best in my estimation. Currently I'm using braided type line that breaks around 4 lbs, actual test.

Finally, I found that some of Varivas lines are correctly rated while others are lower than rated. But when I write Varivas USA, they never replied. They would reply to inquiries but once I mentioned problems to them, nary a response. Otherwise, good lines.

Thanks again for all the insight.