22 Zillion TW HD

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: 22 Zillion TW HD

Post by dragon1 » Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:52 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:31 pm
The HD and (USDM) Zillion have a brass main gear vs standard JDM Zillion has an aluminum main gear. The HD is available in 7.1 or 8.1 ratio. The standard Zillion is available in 5.5(JDM only), 6.3, 7.1 and 8.1. The HD is a Mag-Z boost spool and is a little deeper. The standard Zillion spool is SV boost. Standard Zillion is good with 1/4 oz up to 1 oz or so. The HD spool is good with 3/8 up to 3 oz.
BINGO...and I believe the HD has a longer handle and those EVA power knobs, which some love and others, not so much.

FWIW, of most of your moving baits are 3/8+, then the 7.1 is the "new 6.3" in the modern iteration of Daiwa's 34mm spools... especially with most power techs seemingly being more applicable with more speed.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:00 am

I questioned whether or not the aluminum gear on the JDM would work for my application but so far after about 60 steelhead the reel is still buttery smooth.
Probably my favorite reel over the last 10 years.
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:35 am

1nutinthewater wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:00 am
I questioned whether or not the aluminum gear on the JDM would work for my application but so far after about 60 steelhead the reel is still buttery smooth.
Probably my favorite reel over the last 10 years.
Yeppers, Daiwa's duralumin and brass in most of their higher end and now new hyper Gen reels, with larger tooth/teeth design and deep step/gear mesh, is a complete contrast to Shimano's MM...and for the last few years have proven to be much more reliable, durable, and as smooth/smoother.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:43 pm

I feel like their duralumin gears have only began at being smooth and long lasting with the release of the steez tw in 2016. Prior to it, no reels (with aluminum gears) that i've tried felt as buttery smooth as something like a metanium or an ateres, but now, its easily matching, and in the case of my zillion with all bushing replaced to bearing, its smoother than a Met.

Been using mine since they came out, and i'd say that the reel is about 85% as smooth as new. And that 15% that i am noticing might be related to a bearing, which i'll check while servicing the reel for the upcoming season.

anteman
Angler
Angler

Post by anteman » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:58 pm

I have a Zillion TW SV 1000 and a 12 Exsence DC. The latter my go-to reel for costal shore fishing 3/4-1 oz slim baits on a 9'6" -1 1/4 oz rod. Have tried the Zillion for this costal fishing as well, they cast about the same, safe and fairly good distance. The DC often feel a bit over breaked at "min" setting even in fair head-winds.

To get better distance, should I go with 22 Zillion TW HD magforce-Z boost spool/Daiwa SLPW RCSB MAG-Z Boost 1000S G1 spool or 17 Exsence DC reel with the 4x8 DC? Use braid with FC leader.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:17 am

anteman wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:58 pm
I have a Zillion TW SV 1000 and a 12 Exsence DC. The latter my go-to reel for costal shore fishing 3/4-1 oz slim baits on a 9'6" -1 1/4 oz rod. Have tried the Zillion for this costal fishing as well, they cast about the same, safe and fairly good distance. The DC often feel a bit over breaked at "min" setting even in fair head-winds.

To get better distance, should I go with 22 Zillion TW HD magforce-Z boost spool/Daiwa SLPW RCSB MAG-Z Boost 1000S G1 spool or 17 Exsence DC reel with the 4x8 DC? Use braid with FC leader.
I don't think anyone claims the Zillion HD to be an extreme distance caster. It has Magforce Z Boost but its no HLC. There is the Steez HLC but it's speed demon and must be used with compact long casting baits and braid. Spool it with a slinky and throw plastics and you're in for a nightmare. What about a Tranx 200? It's a Curado K 200 with an aluminum side plate and a bunch of salt water provisions to keep the water out. Deep spool to hold a mountain of braid and a long casting SVS centrifugal brake.

anteman
Angler
Angler

Post by anteman » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:57 pm

I realize the Zillion HD spool isn't a long distance spool like HLC but it should be more distance oriented than the original SV boost considering it has the Mag Z, but still fairly allround is it not? Or maybe Daiwa SLP Works RCSB MAG Z Boost 1000 G1 is a better choise for distance but still more manageble than a HLC?

I havn't tried a modern Shimano SVS but some have said it casts far but need more adjustments in various (head-) winds than say a Mag- SV spool (and the 12 Exsence DC) or it will overrun, don't know if that is true though.

I fish from costal shore mostly in head winds and mainly make long, often hard casts with compact, aerodynamic baits (spoons, pencils, metal vibrations) 3/4-1 oz with a 9'6" rod but don't want a spool that is wild most of the time. Since I have the Zillion SV TW 1000 I thought maybe a spool swap would be a fair first step to get a bit more distance. I use 20-25 lb braid.