Daiwa centrifugal brakes

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Daiwa centrifugal brakes

Post by jwfflipper14 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:35 am

I might be crazy but I'd like to have a modern Zillion or Steez with centrifugal brakes. I use my old Daiwa reels more and more that don't have mag brakes. Oh I love my new reels but I'd like to see Daiwa bring some back. I'm not a Shimano fan

Jeff
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa centrifugal brakes

Post by LowRange » Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:35 pm

Which old ones have centrifugal? SPR and Aird Red Tune? I have a red tune but haven't even made a cast with it. I was planning on converting it to normal brakes. How do they cast?

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:53 am

The old Daiwa Prolite Silver reels PL100 and PL150. Although they are a 4.7 gear ratio I use them for crankbaits and spinnerbaits. And the the original Black TD1 reels I'll turn the magforce to "0" and I do understand there is still some force generated. but it's as close as I can get.
I'll have to check out the Aird.

Jeff
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:28 am

I see. Yeah the Pixy SPR and Arid Red Tune (a centrifugal alphas), a Ryoga bay jigging, Ryoga Shrapnel and Smak Red Tune have that twin arm centrifugal brake. I would track down an SPR if you like this brake.
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwapixyspr.html
Attachments
34826490643_5de64fce21_b.jpg
34826490643_5de64fce21_b.jpg (68.06 KiB) Viewed 1911 times

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:37 pm

The SPR is the only Daiwa reel with centrifugal brakes that is worth it for casting. And even then, the system is way inferior to what's on offer from Shimano, so what's the point? A standard pixy with a finesse special spool will outcast anything the SPR can do.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:50 pm

I remember when I first starting back reading history of reels I saw the TackleTour review on the SPR. Small plug revolution, didn't seem to give the braking system the most favorable reviews, if I remember the review correct they even said for the most part it was about the same as the other Pixy. Then right at the end they mention the reel chunking lighter plugs well, as intended.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:44 am

Just get a Metanium

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:01 am

I have too many Daiwa, Shimano, ABU reels.

Love the Daiwas and their magnetic brakes. However, on average and in most situations, I get more distance with centrifugal brakes.

I have Pixy reels with different finesse spools. With regard to casting distance with a true aerodynamic "plug", a mag-Pixy do not get near my SPR with only brake attached. In my hands at least.

I would not mind more Daiwas with centrifugal brakes - just for competition on the market :)

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:23 am

Dalleinf wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:01 am
I have too many Daiwa, Shimano, ABU reels.

Love the Daiwas and their magnetic brakes. However, on average and in most situations, I get more distance with centrifugal brakes.

I have Pixy reels with different finesse spools. With regard to casting distance with a true aerodynamic "plug", a mag-Pixy do not get near my SPR with only brake attached. In my hands at least.

I would not mind more Daiwas with centrifugal brakes - just for competition on the market :)
Absolutely would love to see an updated reel from Daiwa. With the new bearings available and t-wing a sweet cranking reel with a 5.1 ratio would be great
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:41 am

The only half decent centrifugal brakes that daiwa has used were the centriflex brakes on the coastal that was based on the TD Advantage body which were actually adjustable. That had a couple other reels with it but don't know why they discontinued it. The 2 pin brakes are very primitive.